State of GameSalad on 5-1-2013...

Comments

• WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
    WOW, I can't wait to see all the goodies from the kitchen!!! =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    edited May 2013
    @CodeWizard

Excellent work! Thank you. I look forward to trying out 10.2c

• ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    I've waited 2 years for the firework sound to be removed.. and it's finally happing haha. I might just start using it again.. it's almost embarrassing. when your adult friends ask you how you build your app. let me show you how.. (ends with fireworks) .. (and "I think I'll keep my day job")
  • PBEmpirePBEmpire Member Posts: 676
    Great news!, although i have not even the remotest idea why gamesalad is bothering to support tizen, a os that is completely bullshit.
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Great to hear there are so many improvements being made on app efficiency and load times. Keep up the good work @CodeWizard.

I'm not sure how to feel about the removal of the fireworks. Sure, they annoy the crap out of me at 2:00 in the morning when I'm publishing, but they've kind of grown on me over the years :)

Looking forward to next week's State of GameSalad report!

- Alex
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    @ORBZ I didn't post in here.
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    Kitchen's smelling good... ;) yummy.. yummy...
    async multiplayer.. awesome.. i've been waiting to scratch my scalp on that one..
    also @codewizard , with recent experiences we've developed workarounds, which i presume do not work in newer builds. Please also include to advice us on Best Practices in future builds. It'd make GS and life a lot more easier.

+1 for Tizen, it sounds promising.
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    ya why Tizon, what happen to windows phone or blackberry.. etc. something that's more likely to stick around =)
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    All sounds pretty sweet to me ... @CodeWizard ... I think you may of accidentally missed off joints on your pipeline ;)
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    I would think Tizon because Samsung the largest maker of cell phones has a major role in it. If they decide to switch it could be a big blow to Android. Plus it's build on Linux so I imagine porting it to OS X would be easier to accomplish than Windows.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
  • IcedBIcedB Member, PRO Posts: 384
    edited May 2013
    Will give you a *BAG OF KITTENS* if we can have .wav files playing
  • DaveinpublicDaveinpublic Member Posts: 37
    Hey @codewizard, thanks for the weekly updates! Now I'm getting excited for Wednesdays. :)

Btw, 1 feature that would be a big win for me is Photoshop support. Kind of like how video editing software now supports Photoshop files, and you can create and line up layers in PS, and when you update your PS file your video file (in this scenario Gamesalad file) updates, as well. That would add another layer of functionality to Gamesalad that would make my workflow and productivity skyrocket. Being able to setup a menu or scene in Photoshop and then import the PS file right into Gamesalad would be sweet.
  • SolarPepperStudiosSolarPepperStudios Member Posts: 754
    edited May 2013
    ... Removing it would result in a singularity that would hurl @Codewizard into a time portal, sending him back in time ala' Quantum Leap. Do you really want that?!

@SaladStraightShooter @QuantumSheep or a Quantum leap?
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Living outside of time would allow @codewizard to fix GS in one-second of our time taking the theory of relativity into consideration so yeah, I'm all for it.
    edited May 2013
    @FryingBaconStudios , @SaladStraightShooter Yes! I'm all for it too! Quick, lets make a forum poll to remove the fireworks sound! \m/
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited May 2013
    Fireworks sound removed!? THANK YOU!
    What? Could it really be!?! I seriously just teared up a little.

@Braydon_SFX Image isn't coming up dude but I agree! Lets for real start a poll! Want me to? :))
  • MSEagle2MSEagle2 Member, PRO Posts: 98
    Actually...I vote we replace firework sound with a random sound that is either
    a) REALLY loud car alarms going off
    b) Lots of gun fire and explosions but in low quality so it doesn't sound good :(
    c) Screaming goats.
    @MSEagle2 Wait, weren't those already on the roadmap? :/
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803

c) Screaming goats.
    Yes. Screaming goats that sound like people. But instead of after you push okay to save the file in a location, to right before so you can take a nap and have something to wake you up.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Here....
    Fireworks sound removed!? THANK YOU!
    What? Could it really be!?! I seriously just teared up a little.
  • BarrytheBraveBarrytheBrave Member Posts: 134
    If we send @Codewizard back about a hundred years, he could start developing GS really early on a giant paper-punch card computer the size of a house, and by the present day we'd probably have GS just about done.. I don't really care about the fireworks too much but I say we send him for the greater good :))
    edited May 2013
    @BarryKeithGrubb Already on it! *Googles "How to send someone back in time with a Mac"*
    Edit:
    I found it! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/7904712/Quantum-time-machine-allows-paradox-free-time-travel.html
  • capitalcarnagecapitalcarnage Member Posts: 371
    oh jeepers, lets not start on that article.
  • PixelPunPixelPun Member Posts: 324
    I can't even count how many times that fireworks sound scared the crap out of me late at night...
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Guys... the Firework sound is tied to essential architecture. Removing it would result in a singularity that would hurl @Codewizard into a time portal, sending him back in time ala' Quantum Leap. Do you really want that?!

=))

Am I the only one that saw this?
  • CrazybreadmanCrazybreadman Member Posts: 674
    edited May 2013
    Great job GS! Looking forward to these awesome updates.

@CodeWizard - One request I have is to keep images the same file size when importing them into GS. I have .png images that I optimized to be <1kb but their size triples or more after importing into GS. This adds up when having hundreds of animations and I suspect it affects performance. Any way you guys could update GS to keep the images at their original file size after importing? oh and btw - I'm a pro member and need that slick pro icon by my name :)
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    @Crazybreadman
    Yeah, that sounds like a good idea on the surface. Problem is that we can't draw compressed PNGs in an efficient way. So we decompress those images into a raw format suitable for drawing. That's what causes them to get so much bigger.
  • selectsoftselectsoft Member, PRO Posts: 38
    Great job GS! Looking forward to these awesome updates.

@CodeWizard - One request I have is to keep images the same file size when importing them into GS. I have .png images that I optimized to be <1kb but their size triples or more after importing into GS. This adds up when having hundreds of animations and I suspect it affects performance. Any way you guys could update GS to keep the images at their original file size after importing? oh and btw - I'm a pro member and need that slick pro icon by my name :)</blockquote>

FYI: You can remedy this on your own my replacing the imported images within the image folder of your project.