State of GameSalad on 5-1-2013...

Comments

• TheSkinTheSkin Member Posts: 74
    5. We're putting the finishing code touches on supporting a new publishing platform called “Tizen.” This will be in QA for a while. Look for more news on this any day now.
    Tizen is very interesting... but on wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizen , I read "Tizen provides application development tools based on the JavaScript libraries jQuery and jQuery Mobile. Since version 2.0 native application framework is also available, based on Open Services Platform from the Bada platform."...

My questions is:
    1) In Tizen export, GS use a LUA based engine (with the performance of iOS and Android platform) or a HTML5 engine (with the limitation of HTML5 export... low performance, game size, screen size,...)?
    2) if the GS runtime on Tizen use the native application framework (derived from Bada platform)... in future... we will be able to export game for Bada platform?
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    As to the current updates they are all on the publishing server side so nothing to download. This is why they are labeled 10.2a,b,c et....
  • WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
    Yes if they issue a new creator it will be a numerical change so that would be 10.3
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    Wow, just removed the sound on a project and it was a lot faster at loading, but to fair I also removed a few timers...
    If it was the "loading" that got better, it was probably the sounds.
    - Thomas
    P.S. @hunter.s - 10.2 is the most recent, all of the rest since then are binary updates, which means you just hav to publish again, not upgrade creator.
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    @TheSkin
    GameSalad on Tizen is based on the HTML5 engine. We're spending lots of time right now to optimize both the native and HTML5 engines. We may support Bada natively one day... just no time soon .
  • richiconrichicon Member, PRO Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    GS desperately needs a tile based system too. I've just done a whole load of game levels in Tiled, and getting them into GameSalad is a massive chore as you have to manually add collision walls to cover all the tile blocks.

IMO a 2D system such as GameSalad requires tile based level support as a necessity - it is a crazy omission.

Coming from a traditional game development background, this is the biggest hurdle to us creating more games in game salad. I'd like to do a full platform game, but without tile maps and tile collisions it becomes far more complex and time consuming than it should and you end up with so many collision objects - which is terribly inefficient.

GameSalad has SO MANY positive things going for it, that make development really efficient - but I never see any mention of tilemap support in the roadmaps - and tilemaps are a staple of game development since the very beginning.

'cmon guys - you know it makes sense!
    As a matter of fact, it does make sense! And adding a tile map system to the engine is on my personal list of "must have" features. Timing is unknown, but it won't be too far out.
    That is fantastic news - with tilemap support Game Salad will be the definitive 2D game creation tool and I believe it would get it far more attention in traditional game development circles.
  • K1dTrunksK1dTrunks PRO Posts: 55
    @CodeWizard - In the upcoming stable Creator release, will the performance be improved enough so that we can use the Pause Game behavior without GS showing the horrible loading icon? If not, how far away do you think that is? It's a pain having to make a custom pause even for games that aren't processor intensive, especially since it's impossible to use a custom pause for multitasking.

Which reminds me, will we have more options for loading indicators? Or at least a better looking one?
  • DanielDoeDanielDoe Member Posts: 307
    edited May 2013
    will the performance be improved enough so that we can use the Pause Game behavior without GS showing the horrible loading icon? If not, how far away do you think that is?
    I haven't noticed such a problem. Of course Pause Scene is a Scene and i you put some graphics in it, it must load... You can alwas "program" your own pause which is quite easy and it doesn't load.

I'm hoping we'll get load times down load enough where you won't really notice it in those cases.
    edited May 2013
    @DanielDoe Thats not the point is it though - it is a function that is there, so it should perform better. A load symbol for a pause menu is really bad form, especially when you are actually not really dealing with any GFX other than a couple of option images.

It just adds a slightly unprofessional aspect to a game, and if the alternative is to write your own then there is no point in having it in there in the first place!

Simply put, the Pause function HAS to be improved.

To illustrate this further - every single person I have shown our game to (we're doing final testing on our GameSalad project) has complained about the Pause load symbol. So if the end user feels the same way, you'll potentially lose points/goodwill toward your game as a direct result of the Pause option spawning a timer icon which no other games do. Very bad!

I've submitted a bug with the pause menu as it messes up other functions like multitouch, velocity and other issues people have posted. Pause hasn't work for a long time.
    I'm hoping we'll get load times down load enough where you won't really notice it in those cases.
    Oops - I was replying to Daniel; but you replied as I was posting so it looked like I was replying to you.

That is really good to hear; be good to have a nice quick Pause function without the load delays :)

• WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
    Pause, timers, music.... it all too much to track!!!

Okay, I am good now. I just start building my own pause screens which is pretty cool and easy, and use the clock now instead of the timers...but the sound...still driving me crazy!!!

@CodeWizard I think a really cool feature would for us to have the option to change the "little spinning icon" when loading... I create a false loading screen for show, but changing the "little spinning icon" would be a sweet deal as an alternative!!!

• gabrielmungabrielmun Member, PRO Posts: 41
    @Codewizard Google play in-app billing What is th in the list of your priorities?
  • gabrielmungabrielmun Member, PRO Posts: 41
    @Codewizard

Sales of google play is much larger than the app store in Korea.

We release the game only appstore, the burden of the current sales is very large.
  • TheGabfatherTheGabfather Member Posts: 633
    @gabrielmun makes sense! I'm in the Philippines but I have a lot of Korean friends -- they ALL have Android now that I think about it. Perhaps my team should start releasing for Google Play as well.. it's looking like a good revenue source anyways (never mind the Android pirates) especially with the recent monetization update, but continued improvements would definitely be a plus :)
  • tkullatkulla Member Posts: 64
    What is the issue with the timers? I use the Timer behavior a lot and haven't had any problems.
  • lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    ...the burden of the current sales is very large.
    Give me some of that burden if you like ;)

• jamies15-3jamies15-3 Member Posts: 94
    Hey @CodeWizard and @all Since the most recent version of GS creator was updated can anyone publish a game? I keep getting Non-Public API Usage error emails from apple moments after uploading the binary through Application loader.

Anyone got any insights?

Cheers,
  • SolarPepperStudiosSolarPepperStudios Member Posts: 754
    edited May 2013
    @jamies15-3 Just tried to upload and got the same thing. I think it has to do with the UDID usage.
    We have a fix coming for that. More news as it's available.
    @CodeWizard cheers okay cool glad it's not something i did at my end. @Utveckla_Games I'm glad I'm not the only one.
    Oh man I hope this doesn't mean more delays for my release. Already been waiting for 10.2c to fix the bad memory access issues. This is getting a little frustrating.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Hey @CodeWizard and @all Since the most recent version of GS creator was updated can anyone publish a game? I keep getting Non-Public API Usage error emails from apple moments after uploading the binary through Application loader.

Anyone got any insights?

Cheers,
    I built and submitted a universal app yesterday afternoon, and it's still waiting for review. no automatic rejections.

edited May 2013
    I think it only effects iPhone builds, but i've had it twice and CodeWizard said that there is an issue, although not to bothered as it will be addressed.
    So, we have a build going out any day now. It includes the UDID fix as well as some other stuff. It could happen as early as this afternoon. Enjoy!