State of GameSalad on 5-1-2013...

Comments

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    I'm curious as to why loading wavs takes less time than oggs?
    The reason that ogg is slower than wav is because ogg is a compressed format. The compression is nice, of course (accounting for a sweet ratio of 4:1). But that comes with a price. We can't play oggs directly so we decompress them when we load them into memory. This decompression takes a pretty long time (accounting for about 66% of the sound load time).

Once this optimization is implemented, you'll be able to choose to use wav or ogg when importing your sounds. The wav will load faster but be a bit bigger on disk. The ogg will be smaller on disk but take 2x longer to load. We'll leave the choice to you whether or not to take advantage of the faster loading.

To do so, you'll need to convert your ogg to wav manually. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. We'll document this more thoroughly when it's ready for you in the nightly build.
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    @CodeWizard
    . . . The wav will load faster but be a bit bigger on disk. The ogg will be smaller on disk but take 2x longer to load. . . .
    I take it with all other things being equal (sample rate, bit-depth etc) both Ogg and Wav files will occupy the same amount of RAM ?
    @Socks
    Right. Since ogg is decompressed to a raw format this is true.
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    edited May 2013
    Tizen.org? Awesome! Cant wait! - Was hoping GS would add this!
    No more coffee stains on keyboards ;) - "Fireworks sound removed"
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    @Socks
    Right. Since ogg is decompressed to a raw format this is true.
    @CodeWizard

Makes sense. Cheers for the reply.
  • 921creative921creative Member, PRO Posts: 140
    Noted and will be removed.
    Remember the old AOL "File's done!" sound when a file downloaded? How about resurrecting that in place of the ol' fireworks.
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    @CodeMonkey

Oops, I meant to type @CodeWizard but it was late and I was tired and felt like a code monkey myself ;)

• SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    .....sending him back in time ala' Quantum Leap. Do you really want that?!

Oh boy!
  • redneksiredneksi Member Posts: 12
    How about this http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/56210/does-gs-works-properly-in-windows i have been patiently waiting for some magical hand to fix this problem of mine (so far installed 2 different windows 7 64 bit for 2 times)
  • 8bitninja8bitninja Member Posts: 367
    edited May 2013
    After the 0.10.2b update my adhoc build runs flawlessly until however I turn my audio on. With the music playing my adhoc gets really choppy and eventually crashes but with music off I couldn't crash it if I wanted to. Is this something that 0.10.2c will fix or something I'm doing wrong on my end? Thanks :)
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    .....sending him back in time ala' Quantum Leap. Do you really want that?!

Oh boy!
    Hey! That's my line! :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• BluemoonstudiosBluemoonstudios Member Posts: 156
    @codeWizard, Has something happened to the Game Center behaviours in last day or so? Everything was working perfectly up until yesterday, now whenever Game Center logs in my game freezes. Also, even if it has not logged in yet and i push the achievements button it freezes the app too. It works fine in the viewer, but not in adhoc.
    I'm not aware of any issues. Will flag for follow up.
  • JustMe74JustMe74 Member, PRO Posts: 542
    What happened to the "LUA free" version of GameSalad? Wasn't that supposed to be out last summer? I haven't been here in quite a while.
  • ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    What happened to the "LUA free" version of GameSalad? Wasn't that supposed to be out last summer? I haven't been here in quite a while.
    @JustMe74
    You will see considerable speed improvements in every update, because instead of releasing it as one massive update, they're doing it in small chunks.

Hope this helps
    Chakku
  • JustMe74JustMe74 Member, PRO Posts: 542

@JustMe74
    You will see considerable speed improvements in every update, because instead of releasing it as one massive update, they're doing it in small chunks.

Hope this helps
    Chakku
    Is there any reason to rebuild my apps with the latest version of GS (i.e. will it improve the performance of my existing apps?) The last time I updated anything with GS was probably about the time they released the web based publishing system (about a year).
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    @JustMe74 - You will see increases in performance, yes. You may not have to rebuild, depending on how much the newer updates broke your things.
    - Thomas
    @JustMe74 - You will see increases in performance, yes. You may not have to rebuild, depending on how much the newer updates broke your things.
    - Thomas
    @JustMe74
    Also, you can revert to an older version if an update causes irreparable harm :)

Chakku
    @Chakku - Doesn't that only work going back to 10.1? Either way, duplicate your game project files before opening them in a new version. :)
    - Thomas
  • K1dTrunksK1dTrunks PRO Posts: 55
    @CodeWizard - You guys have been doing an amazing job so far, but one thing I think is rather ridiculous is that we have no way of instantly spawning multiple actors. For instance, today I was trying to create a simple particle effect. Since my game has no scene gravity, I couldn't use the particle behavior (since my particles must have gravity). So all I wanted to do was instantly spawn a random number of actors. However, this is impossible without implementing some kind of looping method, which definitely should not be necessary for something as simple as this. I can't just put in multiple spawn actor behaviors because then there wouldn't be a random number of them.

This seems like something that would be easy to implement. Could you look into it?
    Noted.
  • K1dTrunksK1dTrunks PRO Posts: 55
    Actually, what would make it even easier for us is an improved particle behavior with its own gravity, collisions, and some other things I'm sure you already know about. :)
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Particles do not need gravity just assign a velocity to it in the behavior.
    @Chakku - Doesn't that only work going back to 10.1? Either way, duplicate your game project files before opening them in a new version. :)
    - Thomas
    I meant as in 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 etc., not 10.2d etc. :)

Chakku
    - Thomas
    I meant as in 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 etc., not 10.2d etc. :)

Chakku
    Right, it just sounded like he was in a version much older than that, so I wanted to be sure he was aware. :)
    - Thomas
  • floydianspiralfloydianspiral Member, PRO Posts: 308
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the clarification, I've always wondered why gs used oggs when they had to decompress them back again to play them in game as I've seen . I always bounce my files to wav so it wont be hard for me to import all all my samples, but will I be able to overwrite all of my oggs with wav if i have the same file name? im assuming not and since i have over 1000 sound files it will take me a long time to delete (and redrag play sound behavior and re select all the files) all the oggs since the sound menu reverts to the top of the list when you delete a sound. last time i tried to shift-select mutliple sound files to delete it didnt work, can that be fixed? Also will you support higher resolutions than 16/44.1?
  • WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
    Wow, just removed the sound on a project and it was a lot faster at loading, but to fair I also removed a few timers...
  • hunter.shunter.s Member Posts: 25
    How do you get these updates, I have 0.10.2 and when I do check for updates it says I have the current version. Does it get installed by itself? I am a pro user.
  • WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
    How do you get these updates, I have 0.10.2 and when I do check for updates it says I have the current version. Does it get installed by itself? I am a pro user.
    Not sure, but I don't think the updates are out yet. I checked my GS today and nothing...

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322
    The updates are executed on the server side I believe. All you have to do is to publish your game to Gamesalad servers when you create a new build and the updates are automatic.