Hey GameSalad, what about Opt-Out from tracking?

13»

Comments

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited June 2014

@beefy_clyro said:
    You mean theres now 2 of you?

I imagine it's more than that. Some people can't be bothered to argue, especially when there's other game development software without Metrics Gathering. I still like GameSalad though, so I'm still watching to see if they do the right thing.

• 3itg3itg Member, PRO Posts: 382
    edited June 2014

I think this whole thing is overly alarmist…
    In previous threads about this subject, I mention that if you are selling via the stores (Google Play / iTunes / anything) they collect a significant amount of data about the user…

GS can't see your Dev Dashboard… they aren't Google, they aren't Apple, but as the software provider, I can see why they can/should/would/could/will/do collect this data.
    The data is being collected no matter how you cut the kumquat…

Unless… you are trying to make Line of Business or B2B apps… and if thats the case then you really are using the wrong software altogether. But even then… seems strange.
    Any client that would let the conversation get awkward because of usage statistics doesn't sound like the top shelf client that @Photics is making them out to be. They sound like a bunch of 70 year olds who can barely grasp what the "internet" means, to be perfectly honest. Tell them to quit being dinosaurs about it.
    If they can let it slide because google made the software ( the android operating system) and you are comfortable with telling them that it was made with Gamesalad, then what is the difference between the two, each collecting analytics for themselves?

IMO, the awkward conversation will come when you continue to use Gamesalad, tell your client nothing is being collected because you "Opt Out" and then they see that it couldn't be further from the truth…

Or even better yet… if the data is so sensitive, why are so concerned with using a third party software that DOES collect information ,when you should be looking into encryption, SSL, VPN, your own dedicated servers, firewalls, and other security infrastructure.

Well, I think the answer is because if you were actually trying to use the proper tools for the job, you wouldn't have anything left to bitch about here.

• 3itg3itg Member, PRO Posts: 382
    edited June 2014

@Photics said:
    how far will the rabbit hole go?

@3itg‌ said:
    all the way to the NSA!

@Photics said:
    This isn't tinfoil hat stuff.

@3itg‌ said:
    yes it is...

Done and Done, you can stop using the internet now.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@3itg said:
    The data is being collected no matter how you cut the kumquat…

When I was a child I had a book of poems called "What Is A Kumquat?" by Sue Cowling. It was great.

Loved that book. Now, because of you, I'm going to have to buy it on eBay or else it's going to really bug me. Dammit.

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172

@3itg said:
    I think this whole thing is overly alarmist…

I think respecting the player's personal information is important. Obviously, GameSalad agrees that this can be an issue. Otherwise, it wouldn't be on the Roadmap.

Unless… you are trying to make Line of Business or B2B apps… and if thats the case then you really are using the wrong software altogether.

That gets to the real problem. Is GameSalad the wrong software for business apps? Is it the wrong software for professional apps? When people ask for my advice on game development, when they ask which software they should use, I feel bad when I can't recommend GameSalad. I like GameSalad. That's why I've been pushing GameSalad on this issue. "Pro" should mean professional.

I already have software to use instead of GameSalad. Perhaps I should just give up and move on. But since my main problem with GameSalad is scheduled to be fixed, I think it's a good idea to simply monitor the progress of the software.