State of GameSalad 6-26-2013

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
edited July 2013 in GameSalad Kitchen
Hello! It's that time again... time for another weekly state of GameSalad post.

Estimated Stable Build Schedule

We’re still holding off on releasing any new stable builds. More bug fixes and optimizations are in progress in the nightly builds. Head over to the “PRO - Working With GameSalad” forum for more info.

What’s New This Week?

1. Brian Hapgood is still digging into the code this week. He’s integrated a sweet new profiler (http://sourceforge.net/projects/shinyprofiler/) that he’ll be using to direct his optimization efforts. He’s also started documenting our code. Go figure!

2. We made an offer to a senior software tester. Looks like he’ll be starting next week. More manpower FTW!

3. We’re continuing to look for some new hires to help cover some weaknesses in our current staffing. Will keep you abreast of the developments on this front.

4. We’re spending quite a bit of time cleaning up our Android development environment to make debugging / feature addition easier. It’s a bit of nasty cleanup and rework, but it’s worth it in the end.

5. We’re still doing another refactor of our Lua code to properly support async multiplayer. Progress is being made!

6. Loading wheel code changes are underway.

7. HTML5 engine optimization for the Tizen platform is happening this week.

8. We’re doing an initial design pass on custom behavior scripting support for the engine. Thoughts are being collected and a plan is being formulated.

9. Various fixes on nightly builds. Take a look at the pro forums for more info.

10. We're finalizing the design of the upgraded cross promotion bar this week as well. Looking good!

11. @RhiannonSalad has been assigned to the engineering team full time to help investigate user projects and get to the bottom of performance problems / bugs for us. Super helpful. Expect to see her lurking more often!

12. We've decided a reasonably decent methodology for preparing stable builds for regular release. We'll have more info on this soon once we've decided when we'll make the next one. :)

Comments

• LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKMember, Sous Chef Posts: 956
    Excellent! We appreciate all the effort happening at GSHQ!
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    Number 8 sounds interesting. Hope the new and promoted peeps are enjoying it so far. :)
  • RoksaltRoksalt Member Posts: 87
    All sounds good

...but I've been holding off releasing a clients game due to the pause screen issue... I know it's fixed in the nightly builds but still waiting for next stable...

Please release ASAP thanks
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    @Rocksalt .. Why not publish with the nightly build?
  • PBEmpirePBEmpire Member Posts: 676
    edited June 2013
    No stable build? :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :((
  • ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    @CodeWizard
    I forgot to remind you today! Sorry ;)

Looking good! :D

Chakku :)>-
  • HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    Excellent news GS team.

1. Profiling, optimising, yay!

2. Senior software tester, yay!

11. Awesome to hear @RhiannonSalad has been assigned to help investigate user projects full time. Excellent.

The improvements to product and process are continuing unabated. Fantastic.

• SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    8. We’re doing an initial design pass on custom behavior scripting support for the engine. Thoughts are being collected and a plan is being formulated.
    So wait, this means implementing code in to the Creator? I'd assume the added code would need to be Lua?

Thanks for the updates!
    - Thomas
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    No stable build? :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :((
    I'd personally rather they get all their ducks in order with staffing and direction changes before releasing one. Hopefully the release schedule will be much better after this release :-SS
    - Thomas
  • 921creative921creative Member, PRO Posts: 140
    How are we progressing on custom fonts?
  • MSEagle2MSEagle2 Member, PRO Posts: 98
    So wait, this means implementing code in to the Creator? I'd assume the added code would need to be Lua?

Thanks for the updates!
    - Thomas
    It would make the most sense for them, and the most sense for bettering the product. Would bump GS into the league of corona/other lua scripted engines (or at least a lot closer to that league than GS is right now) and be very enticing for people that use a popular lua based engine to try GS out.

• DaveinpublicDaveinpublic Member Posts: 37
    The forums in general have gone from continual bickering, especially between employees and customers, to continual customer satisfaction. Who knew it was this easy to keep everyone happy... I remember a time when every comment from the Gamesalad moderator was either telling us there were 'no bugs' in Gamesalad only bad coding by the users, or upon the admission of a problem, it would be downplayed and mixed with how we were wrong as well. I'd also see a terrible attitude from moderators every now and then. Also, if your coding team promises a feature will be out this week, you tell the customers next month. And if they say this year, you say it's a long term goal. Don't share their internal timeline publicly and then blame the coders for working too slow or the customer for being anxious. That's PR. Very basic PR. Then came codewizard and things have actually changed around here. There were a couple good moderators before as well. Gamesalad started listening to the users who mentioned bugs, because that's valuable information for the software creation process. And most of all, codewizard represents a change in attitude. Before, the phrase the customer is always right was silly. Now it's a reality. Made possible by respect for the user, common sense, and regular communication. And when someone has a request or bug report, it's not taken as an offense. Paying customers don't walk on egg shells. I like the realistic timelines. I think the proving phase has passed for codewizard. He has delivered on promises, hit deadlines, and set realistic goals for the future. Well done codewizard! We no longer feel like we're talking to the pimply teenager at Best Buy. Great job, look forward to the Gamesalad of tomorrow!
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    i thought the term nightly build meant that it gets released nightly or.. every other night or at least every other night once a week.... just curious why it's not called monthly build or such.. just being.. critical.. been waiting for a stable software for 2 years.. and a lot has changed..(for the better actually.. and will share with you guys when the time comes).
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    edited June 2013
    Super exciting times... (:| (:| (:| (:|
  • Benjamin_m5Benjamin_m5 Member Posts: 646
    @Daveinpublic big and right words!
    ---
    Benjamin
  • WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
    edited June 2013
    SWEETNESS....coming soon to a build near you..... :O)
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    @CodeWizard
    I forgot to remind you today! Sorry ;)

Looking good! :D

Chakku :)>-

@Chakku

Maybe I should remind you on Tuesdays.
  • BoomshackBarryBoomshackBarry Member Posts: 712
    This is super exciting as once this is out people can start coding their own behaviours. I can see plenty of new features coming from the community first, that the GS devs just won't have time to get round to for a while.
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    edited June 2013
    @ultima
    We call them nightly because they're built nightly. We don't always push them out though. A more accurate term would be: "Regular builds that have work in progress in them that may or may not be released nightly." Nightly builds sounds better though. :)
    @daveinpublic
    Thanks so much for the kind words!
    edited June 2013
    @SnapFireStudios
    Let me flap gums on engine expandability for a moment.

We're aiming to provide two levels of engine extension for you to take advantage of. Initially this will be based on custom behavior scripting. Yes, that means that you'll be able to create your own custom behaviors and add them to Creator. We'll also ensure you can share them with others and (hopefully) sell them on Marketplace.

The second level of engine extension is in the form of native plugins. These plugins would be written in your native language of choice and will allow you to access native level functionality. So, integrating a third party library would be possible then. As would having performance-critical code written in native code.

We're in the initial phases of the first level. Once we've gotten a plan worked out I'll share more.
  • TheSkinTheSkin Member Posts: 74
    tizen is a HTML5 platform.... good... but the number of device is very low...
    My dream is to be able to release in html5 with higher resolution graphics...
    ... you have been considering to release HTML5 applications for facebook?
  • DeadlySeriousMediaDeadlySeriousMedia ArizonaMember Posts: 838
    @codewizard I think the answer is 'not yet' but any idea of when async will be available?
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Very nice. Well done guys! Really enjoying the route GameSalad is taking!
    @TheSkin
    Yes.
    edited June 2013
    @codewizard Awesome! Also, in theory, would it be possible to use async to update data from a server rather than a second player?
    Well, the data comes from a server. Pretty sure you're looking for a way to download data from a server in general. That's something different from this solution. Although the work on async will make it easier to do.
    @codewizard I see. Thanks for the reply!