State of GameSalad 6-26-2013

Comments

• BoomshackBarryBoomshackBarry Member Posts: 712
    @SnapFireStudios
    Let me flap gums on engine expandability for a moment.

We're aiming to provide two levels of engine extension for you to take advantage of. Initially this will be based on custom behavior scripting. Yes, that means that you'll be able to create your own custom behaviors and add them to Creator. We'll also ensure you can share them with others and (hopefully) sell them on Marketplace.

The second level of engine extension is in the form of native plugins. These plugins would be written in your native language of choice and will allow you to access native level functionality. So, integrating a third party library would be possible then. As would having performance-critical code written in native code.

We're in the initial phases of the first level. Once we've gotten a plan worked out I'll share more.
    This is the most exciting post I've ever read on this forum. I have a choice of Insightful, Agree, Like or Awesome... but none of those does it justice so I'm going to high-five my screen so hard it falls off the desk instead.
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Loving the idea of custom behaviours and the like.
    Sounding good guys and girls.
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    @SnapFireStudios

We're aiming to provide two levels of engine extension for you to take advantage of. Initially this will be based on custom behavior scripting. Yes, that means that you'll be able to create your own custom behaviors and add them to Creator. We'll also ensure you can share them with others and (hopefully) sell them on Marketplace.

The second level of engine extension is in the form of native plugins. These plugins would be written in your native language of choice and will allow you to access native level functionality. So, integrating a third party library would be possible then. As would having performance-critical code written in native code.

We're in the initial phases of the first level. Once we've gotten a plan worked out I'll share more.
    This is the most exciting post I've ever read on this forum. I have a choice of Insightful, Agree, Like or Awesome... but none of those does it justice so I'm going to high-five my screen so hard it falls off the desk instead.
    Same problem, anyone know of a good computer repair shop? :P

Awesome news!
    - Thomas
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited June 2013
    6. Loading wheel code changes are underway.

just fixed android to use native os loading wheel will be in the next nightly build
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Glad to hear all the hard work and all the work on organizing the code to have a foundation going forward. This may take sometime but I know it will speed things up for you guys adding stuff down the road! Glad you guys are getting some work in on Android it good but not great and I know how hard Android is to deal with. I imagine it will be a few months before all this hard work you're doing pays off but I'll be looking forward to it. Great stuff!
  • 921creative921creative Member, PRO Posts: 140
    @CodeWizard Custom fonts?
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    @921creative
    We have a hacked up solution for custom fonts that we're using for our internal projects. Proper customer-facing support in on the way.
  • 921creative921creative Member, PRO Posts: 140
    @921creative
    We have a hacked up solution for custom fonts that we're using for our internal projects. Proper customer-facing support in on the way.
    Great. This will have huge implications for (hopefully) reducing the number of images and code required in projects.
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    Yes it will. By far.
  • ericzingelerericzingeler Member Posts: 334

just fixed android to use native os loading wheel will be in the next nightly build
    Thank you!
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    @921creative
    Can't wait for this.

@BlackCloakGS - Does this mean that we won't be able to customize the image or position? :( Or does that come later?
    - Thomas
  • PBEmpirePBEmpire Member Posts: 676
    Exciting times ahead!!
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    @SnapFireStudios it will come later
  • SinSquidSinSquid Member, PRO Posts: 135
    Wow, this is interesting (and awsome). At this point, I don`t know much about coding. What language will this custom code be in? Where can i start reading up on it? I want to be prepeared :D this could give us some amazing opportunities. I`m so ready to learn!
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    @921creative

BOOM!
  • HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

BOOM!
    Just to clarify something I've often wondered @Sparkyidr, your user icon is a bong, right?

Cause if it's not... it's misleading. Like, if it's meant to be an oven mitten that's has caught on fire on the thumb... other people might be thinking it's something else. :)
    @CodeWizard

Regarding Android, since setting up my Game Salad preferences to point at the Android Debug Bridge again recently, the Game Salad Creator stutters badly while previewing the game.

I remember this problem existing about a year ago when I last worked on Android.

I assume there's a fix for that whole situation in the works, along with the general Android re-jig that's being worked on? Just wondered about confirmation of that as a known issue.

It took me ages just to stop the stuttering, because I tried blanking the Android Debug Bridge box in the preferences, but it kept coming back. To actually fix the problem, I had to point the ADB to a wrong folder on my computer. Then, I get an error when I open Game Salad saying it can't find the ADB, but at least the Viewer has gone back to normal, without the stuttering.

Any chance you could maybe just add a Tick Box in the ADB Preferences in the short-term, which lets the user enable or disable the use of the ADB? So if the user is working on Android they can tick it, and if they're not working on Android, they can untick it, and avoid the stuttering, without actually having to fiddle around with the ADB folder location preferences.

Rad idea??

Or at the least, make it so the user can blank the box, as that doesn't seem to work.
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    @CodeWizard

Regarding Android, since setting up my Game Salad preferences to point at the Android Debug Bridge again recently, the Game Salad Creator stutters badly while previewing the game.

I remember this problem existing about a year ago when I last worked on Android.

I assume there's a fix for that whole situation in the works, along with the general Android re-jig that's being worked on? Just wondered about confirmation of that as a known issue.

It took me ages just to stop the stuttering, because I tried blanking the Android Debug Bridge box in the preferences, but it kept coming back. To actually fix the problem, I had to point the ADB to a wrong folder on my computer. Then, I get an error when I open Game Salad saying it can't find the ADB, but at least the Viewer has gone back to normal, without the stuttering.

Any chance you could maybe just add a Tick Box in the ADB Preferences in the short-term, which lets the user enable or disable the use of the ADB? So if the user is working on Android they can tick it, and if they're not working on Android, they can untick it, and avoid the stuttering, without actually having to fiddle around with the ADB folder location preferences.

Rad idea??

Or at the least, make it so the user can blank the box, as that doesn't seem to work.
    I just rename the Android SDK folder too SDKoff so GS ignores it and you only need to rename it back to SDK when your signing the APP.

edited June 2013
    I just rename the Android SDK folder too SDKoff so GS ignores it and you only need to rename it back to SDK when your signing the APP.
    Cheers, good tip.

Obviously the problem with the stuttering should be fixed properly at some point, which I guess is coming down the pipe at some point.

But yes, your suggestion might be the best workaround for now. Thanks. :)

• jamies15-3jamies15-3 Member Posts: 94
    Hey @CodeWizard and @AnyOneElseToo just a quick question will GS support using Jpegs? Is it on your list, as I have my images all nice and small file size then add them to GS and it converts them so the file size is a massive PNG and the image looks terrible. I know there is a work around to stop GS using PNG 8 by adding a single pixel of transparency but then I'm just left with massive file sizes :(.

Anyway to cut a long story short if you can add jpeg support I would be eternally grateful :).
  • lebiscuitlebiscuit Member, PRO Posts: 220
    @921creative
    will there be some small effect for the font ? like stroke or shadow ?
    Hey @CodeWizard and @AnyOneElseToo just a quick question will GS support using Jpegs? Is it on your list, as I have my images all nice and small file size then add them to GS and it converts them so the file size is a massive PNG and the image looks terrible. I know there is a work around to stop GS using PNG 8 by adding a single pixel of transparency but then I'm just left with massive file sizes :(.

Anyway to cut a long story short if you can add jpeg support I would be eternally grateful :).
    I don't know for sure, but I don't think JPG format is supported by the devices themselves. So I don't think it's possible for Game Salad to support JPGs, as the images get turned into a special format for the devices anyway. Might be wrong. I'll let @CodeWizard or something else clarify the issue.
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Yeah !!!! :)>- :)>- :)>- :)>-

Yeah !!!! :)>- :)>- :)>- :)>-
  • jamies15-3jamies15-3 Member Posts: 94
    @Hymloe Yeah initially I thought that, but last year at my previous job in a native app we created Jpegs were used for gallery images, its all to do with losslessness (if thats a real word) and pixel perfectness, tbh it is a minor issue, but it would be nice to have more control over our images as GS is primarily an image based tool.
  • ChirpinGamesChirpinGames Member, PRO Posts: 214
    @SnapFireStudios

YES!!!! This is going to allow us to be so much more professional with our apps. You are awesome!

• Bad wolf GuyBad wolf Guy Member Posts: 206
    @codewizard when you say loading wheel changes are under way, that doesn't mean custom loading images does it, but more on the lines of you guys changing the image?
    @codewizard when you say loading wheel changes are under way, that doesn't mean custom loading images does it, but more on the lines of you guys changing the image?
    Yes, custom position/image comes later apparently, hopefully not too much later.
    - Thomas
  • lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    edited June 2013
    The forums in general have gone from continual bickering, especially between employees and customers, to continual customer satisfaction. Who knew it was this easy to keep everyone happy... I remember a time when every comment from the Gamesalad moderator was either telling us there were 'no bugs' in Gamesalad only bad coding by the users, or upon the admission of a problem, it would be downplayed and mixed with how we were wrong as well. I'd also see a terrible attitude from moderators every now and then. Also, if your coding team promises a feature will be out this week, you tell the customers next month. And if they say this year, you say it's a long term goal. Don't share their internal timeline publicly and then blame the coders for working too slow or the customer for being anxious. That's PR. Very basic PR. Then came codewizard and things have actually changed around here. There were a couple good moderators before as well. Gamesalad started listening to the users who mentioned bugs, because that's valuable information for the software creation process. And most of all, codewizard represents a change in attitude. Before, the phrase the customer is always right was silly. Now it's a reality. Made possible by respect for the user, common sense, and regular communication. And when someone has a request or bug report, it's not taken as an offense. Paying customers don't walk on egg shells. I like the realistic timelines. I think the proving phase has passed for codewizard. He has delivered on promises, hit deadlines, and set realistic goals for the future. Well done codewizard! We no longer feel like we're talking to the pimply teenager at Best Buy. Great job, look forward to the Gamesalad of tomorrow!
    Man he does not say much but when he does!!!

(now he just needs to add a few paragraph returns in there)

• a1000milesa1000miles Member Posts: 36
    Very weird I know, but I'm envious of Brian Hapgood ... I LOVE documenting code (almost as much as I love writing it!) :)