∞• Developing better pseudo 3D blocks •∞ Stormy Studio latest little project...

StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
edited July 2013 in Working with GS (Mac)
Evening world...

Thought I'd share what I've been up to this evening.

Dug out my old 3D blocks project to try out an idea I've had in the back of my mind for ages... I wanted to be able to move left,right, up and down around a 3D box...

The ability to make 3d walls to either create 3D buildings (Bird's eye style) and hopefully the ability to create walls for inside a building which a character can walk around (pretty sure that's possible just to need to switch some of the rules around).

The idea is to combine this with point and click style game play...

Here's this evenings quick and crude video... with some cool textures they could come to life like real buildings, or walls with picture frames on and door ways.

:-)

Hope to set it up so you just position one actor, and the actors around it take care of themselves (probably by being spawned on the loading of the scene, the spawning could be staggered to reduce processor work).

Comments

• IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    I use old 3D blocks template in my new game. Jon made awesome work with it - it's really simple to understand, and use :)
  • BoomshackBarryBoomshackBarry Member Posts: 712
    That's sweet! That would work well for a 2d platform game to give a bit of depth to the platforms. But yeah platform games don't push it far enough, keep pushing towards GS Doom :)
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    That's sweet! That would work well for a 2d platform game to give a bit of depth to the platforms. But yeah platform games don't push it far enough, keep pushing towards GS Doom :)
    I'd made a endless runner with the old blocks before, would certainly look cooler with the new up and down ability.... It's weird how its really an optical illusion, and can be seen as a corridor, blocks coming towards the screen, or looking inside a cube....

I remember someone said I should make a StarWars Deathstar trench run using the 3D blocks, I could'nt do it justice with the old blocks, but it would work perfectly with these...

So many possibilities so little time... (need to get back to my day job for a bit... redubbing an animation I made in French...it would be easier if I could speak slightly better French)
    I've got the boxes setup so you can drag in just one actor and the 3D sides take care of them selves. Still wont work for what I actually want to create but its a step in the right direction.

Video update 02...
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    Love it :)

Darren.
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    I gotta say, pretty nifty! I can see some old classic top down shooters already. Pew-pew! "Look out for the building!!!" Ka-boom!
    I gotta say, pretty nifty! I can see some old classic top down shooters already. Pew-pew! "Look out for the building!!!" Ka-boom!
    He he... now when I look at it .. it reminds me of an old 2 player tank shooting game on the Atari... Pew-pew!
    Closer to what I'm hoping to make... :-)

Another video update... I view it as a top down game at the moment, but could be seen a side scrolling platforming rather than looking down on walls....

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    Looking at this latest test I think of the original Gauntlet. I could see a wizard running through those halls blasting beasts! Pretty cool stuff!
  • goliathgoliath Member Posts: 1,440
    Very impressive and I can see this opening up to a lot of projects. Thanks for the video.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Awesome stuff, Jon! Keep it up!
    Cheers guys...
    Video Update 05...

I've been playing around with the blocks some more to see what they can do... Also added Snap to grid functionality, so you don't have to be too accurate when arranging them....

A good few ideas keep spawning as I play around with the blocks...

So far:

• Top down point and click adventure game (current favorite)
    • 3D side scrolling platformer
    • 3D tetris style game
    • Block breaking game
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    Nifty little project. Awesome!!!
    Wow Jon, seeing that in action is insane! That would make such a good top down adventure game. Seeing the individual blocks you posted before was impressive but seeing them assembled in to a level like this is really impressive :D
  • Benjamin_m5Benjamin_m5 Member Posts: 646
    Impressive stuff!!!! stormy you're the boss :D
    ---
    Benjamin
    thanks for the awesome comments..

Hit a small hurdle at the moment. Well I knew I'd hit it eventually, but ignored it till now.

I've added in a textured floor actor. But due to the way the 3d walls distort and the red blocks of the walls stay in place I need to work out the exact parallax to make the floor look like it is connected to the side of the walls. Hmmm. time to play with numbers.
    edited July 2013
    That sounds like fun ;) it might be an idea to tie the parallax amount to a variable and have temporary keypresses to increment that variable up and down, and a text box displaying the variable's current value. That way you can make small adjustments whilst running the game to get the parallax level just right. Might be quicker than exiting to creator, changing the variable and running the game again dozens of times. But you might well have thought of this already :)
    Cheers Barry... I think your right... I've done that in the past for other problem solving, should have done it for this... (I've been in and out of preview mode 50 odd times already).... :-)
    Hehe good luck finding that magic number - the 3d effect is gonna look brilliant when you've nailed the textures!
    10 minutes of adjusting parallax... with the < and > keys,
    Going from+380.5 and -420 I eventually found the magic number. At least for the horizonal, I assume its correct for the vertical too.

the magic number is -11 .....
    scrap that... the magic number is 10... which makes much more sense since all the squares and rules based around 100 pixel sized blocks... ... the vertical seems ever so slightly out... humph... will probably post another video update tonight showing some more new bits..
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    Update 05 looks really good.
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited July 2013
    @StormyStudio

Excellent little project :) it'd certainly add a bit of polish to a top-down-shooter (or similar).

But I have a (hopefully constructive) criticism . .

Firstly the perspective on the cubes appears to be modelled individually rather than on a per-scene basis, so you you get odd situations like in 'Video Update 05' where on the 2x2 block you can see 3 sides - and even 4 sides - at once ! In the real world this could never happen (assuming a block with straight sides), you could, at most, see only 2 sides - the result is that the 2x2 block looks like it has slopping sides or is a hole . . . . hope all that makes sense.

I did some GS/3D stuff a while back and took a different approach, I'll see if I can dig out some of the files . . . .
  • zzap64zzap64 Member Posts: 405
    I just showed this to a friend and converted him to download GS. Lovely Work.
    I'll be first in line with my credit card if this ever becomes a template.
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    I just showed this to a friend and converted him to download GS. Lovely Work.
    I'll be first in line with my credit card if this ever becomes a template.
    @zzap64

I think it is already a template over at DeepBlueApps !

Hold on, I'll try and find you a link . . .