∞• Developing better pseudo 3D blocks •∞ Stormy Studio latest little project...

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    @zzap64

http://www.deepblueapps.com/stormystudios-templates/

Scroll down to 3D Blocks Version 1 Template.
  • zzap64zzap64 Member Posts: 405
    Thats great. If users purchases version 1 will they receive these new updates (when ready) ?
    Thats great. If users purchases version 1 will they receive these new updates (when ready) ?
    I think you'd have to ask @StormyStudio.
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    @StormyStudio
    Excellent little project :) it'd certainly add a bit of polish to a top-down-shooter (or similar).

But I have a (hopefully constructive) criticism . .

Firstly the perspective on the cubes appears to be modelled individually rather than on a per-scene basis, so you you get odd situations like in 'Video Update 05' where on the 2x2 block you can see 3 sides - and even 4 sides - at once ! In the real world this could never happen (assuming a block with straight sides), you could, at most, see only 2 sides - the result is that the 2x2 block looks like it has slopping sides or is a hole . . . . hope all that makes sense.
    Thanks for the constructive criticism, its well received, so thanks for sharing. It would be easy to tweak the rules to change the effect that your talking about. At the moment it's not bothering me, but should just be case of varying increasing/decreasing a number or two...

@zzap64 Thanks for the positive words. The 3D Blocks on Deep Blue Apps (and my own site) is horizontal scrolling blocks only, they're still very nice blocks. I'm building this current stuff with a game in mind but I'm sure it will become a template fairly soon as well, 'Version 2' I guess. I'll ping you a private message here with an option if your super keen.

Hopefully post another video here later... currently trying to get a 9 week old to sleep.
    edited July 2013
    Evening world...

Here's Video Update 06

• Added some early test textures...
    • Added a working floor which stays in line with the walls as they distort to give the 3D effect.
    • Added a little text pop up, which almost appears as if it is above your actor on the ceiling... could be interesting if you add ceiling elements e.g. in a garden adding some trestle fencing with plants grown around that your player can walk under, or allow the payer to walk under a glass roof... etc etc...
  • HapiappsHapiapps Member Posts: 373
    Oh my Lord, where is this sudden motivation coming from Jon. It went from looking like meh to one of the coolest effects made with GS. Good Job and Good Luck
  • BoomshackBarryBoomshackBarry Member Posts: 712
    That looks awesome. There's so much potential to use this in games, I can't wait to see what this turns in to!
    edited July 2013
    @Hapiapps ... great use of the word 'meh' .... very pleased with how its going and as @BoomshackBarry says, the potential is pretty high on how much can be done with it....

As for where is the motivation coming from, I suspect I'm putting all the panic and paranoia I've got about moving house in the coming weeks into making GameSalad projects. I'll be leaving my fully paid job (become freelance eventually), local friends, local family for a hopefully cooler life by the sea. That plus I've found myself with a regular 2 to 3 hours every night to work on things whilst I wait for our 9 week old son to wake for his 10.30pm ish feed. Also having a another mini me means I've got the push to try and earn more, do more, and acheive more... I'm sure it will fade soon...

Will work on texturing the walls, later...
  • BoomshackBarryBoomshackBarry Member Posts: 712
    I'm sure you'll do well stormy, and anyway, who needs local friends when you've got Gamesalad friends ;)
    I'm sure you'll do well stormy, and anyway, who needs local friends when you've got Gamesalad friends ;)
    Quite right...I can be a happy hermit living in a cave, as long as I've got the interweb...

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    This combined with your adventure template would make a pretty awesome game.
    Like like like!
    Video update 07...

Not a massive leap in design tonight... added textured walls. To keep the effect working they have to have a horizontal texture.

I need to work out a better naming convention.

at the moment there's things like:

Top corner Left...
    Top corner Right...
    Inner Top corner Left...
    Inner Top corner Right...

something shorter and clearer is needed... hmm..

It's getting tricky to keep track of whats what.

@StormyStudio

Looking better and better with every iteration, the new wall textures really help . . . when I see the tops of the cubes I really want to be able to jump up to that level, so you can walk on the top of the blocks too !

Great stuff ! :)>-
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    edited July 2013
    @SnapFireStudios 's mouth fell open.
    Not sure how you wrote that, but I like it.. :-)

@Socks ... now I look at it, i can picture being able to walk around the blocks.... for some reason reminds me of a sort 3D bomberman...

@BeefYclyro ... thanks mate.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    edited July 2013
    /me can't wait to see the next preview

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    edited July 2013
    Awesome stuff. Keep it coming.
    Right that's it, I'm gonna have to search to see how you are adding that text next to your names... you guys and your secret forum tools... [-(

Wont get much done on 3d scene this weeken, chicken coup to demolish, this morning I'm solely in charge of a baby and a manic 3 year old princess ( she's currently addicted to talking about death, strangely sweet). Then bbq with beers tonight.
  • Bad wolf GuyBad wolf Guy Member Posts: 206
    That's really cool, I haven't seen anything like it before. Really going into the beyound and unexplored area with GS. I am so amazed..... How did you guys do that with your names?

Oh yeah @StormyStudio ok work there ;). Really amazing work. I can see that this can open up a whole new genre of games. And your the guy behind it Jon. Feel proud :)

All the best
    Hm.. should I tell him the secret guys? Ah well..
    Type "/$me " but with no "$". :)
    - Thomas
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    Nice update, Jon. Looking good!
  • joe_williamsjoe_williams Member, PRO Posts: 50
    Terrific! Looking forward to seeing where you take this!
    edited July 2013
    /me Wa ha ha ha, WA HA HA HA, THE POWER THE UNBELEIVEABLE POWER!!!

Words next to my name!!!
    edited July 2013
    and cheers everyone...obviously properly pleased to see all your kind words...

@123App not sure if its quite a whole new genre of games, but sure I'll take that title quite happily. :-)

As suspected no time to work on it today, maybe tomorrow night I can jump back in...

Might package it up fairly soon for my website, before continuing with a game idea using it.
  • mazymamazyma Member Posts: 8
    @StormyStudio It's really incredible what you did!

I just have one question: How's the load on performance? Because I imagine that the wall actors rely heavily on constrain attributes.

This is going to make a really cool "Clue" like game. Especially if you add multiple levels on the same massive mansion :)
    - Thomas
    @mazyma
    Even after lots of tidying there are a good few constrain attributes being used... I'll sort out some touch controls and test these newer blocks very soon.

Number of constraints in the current scene:
    - 2 - Standard Cam position is constrained to game attributes
    - 2 - for each floor actor which has two constraints (only two in the scene so far).
    - 0 - Each square wall actor has no constraints, but does spawn the needed side actor for the 3d walls (The spawn only needs to happen once at the start of a scene). Only seems to be trigged when on screen, which saves processor but is annoying if you glimpse the actors being spawned as you move to that area...
    - 8 - on corner actor walls.
    - 4 on side and top wall actors).

I'll setup some touch controls (possibly tonight, and test it).

They used to function fine on a 3GS and iPhone 4 when they were just horizontal ones, which I'd tested many times with my Audio Invaders game (on iOS App Store).
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/id478676726?mt=8&affId=1860684

@SnapFireStudios
    "Clue / Cluedo" is the current vibe I'm going for, not actually the game I'm looking to make but would obviously be cool.... especially with multiplayer! oooh!
    @SnapFireStudios
    "Clue / Cluedo" is the current vibe I'm going for, not actually the game I'm looking to make but would obviously be cool.... especially with multiplayer! oooh!
    Wow... real time multiplayer though, which won't be around for years.
    - Thomas