Dungeon Master + Roguelike? I need your opinion

68kStudios68kStudios Member Posts: 219
edited January 2014 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hi,

I have doubts on the development of a game that I started working on more than two years ago (just in my spare time).

It's a RPG inspired by classic game like Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master, to which I added some elements. Another key factor is the way in which I made the maps: they are easily editable to allow users to create new maps (and, when the send / get table behavior will works, share them with other players) and they are also designed to be randomly generated (roguelike style)

My doubt is: is a kind of game that appeals only to me in 2014? For example, how many of you would be interested in playing this game?

note: many elements that you see in the video are to be changed and come from older versions of the game (for example many graphic elements seem a little similar to each other)

Comments

• GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197
    edited January 2014
    I like the concept and feel of old games, it just needs a cleaner design and better art. Maybe even some animation for the enemies and more game mechanics. I think building and sending levels could be pretty awesome. Sounds like a lot of work.
  • lobosco_estudiolobosco_estudio Member Posts: 98
    I agree with @Brenton22. If you use a better art and designer the game will be awesome!
    About people have interested in this type of game... man, look the App Store, I think 50% of games in top grossing are RPG with this medieval and fantasy subject that you use.

Cheers
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    edited January 2014
    That looks great!

I think the only advice I can give you, is to take what you really loved about the old games that inspired you, and leave out the stuff that annoyed you!

For example, for your type of game, I really liked the feeling of moving through a 3D world, and the RPG elements.

I wasn't so keen (especially after Wolf3D and Doom came out) that I had little situational awareness and got lost easily.

I love to play retro games all the time as I still find them lots of fun (I really love Super Aleste/Space Megaforce - it's STILL my fave shooter - perfect! :D).

But sometimes I play an old classic and think 'it'd be better with a few improvements' e.g. no 1hit deaths, clunky movement/controls etc!

Anyway, take what you will from that!

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• TheFrogeekTheFrogeek Member Posts: 97
    Hi,
    I agree with the others, and it's too late now... after two years you have to finish it ^__^!
    For the graphics you can try to work with Bryce 7! you will be able to create good atmosphere for your game easily. But it may ask you to work two more years... >:).

If you are looking for inspiration: do you know "Legend of Grimrock"?

Good luck!
  • 68kStudios68kStudios Member Posts: 219
    Thank you all for the answers ;)
    Hi,

If you are looking for inspiration: do you know "Legend of Grimrock"?
    I know Legend of Grimrock, but I haven't play it. Maybe I should do it :D
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    I wasn't so keen (especially after Wolf3D and Doom came out) that I had little situational awareness and got lost easily.
    I built an auto-mapping feature for a 3D maze like yours when I was first learning to use tables. In fact, I have a video of it somewhere around here.

You can see another example by someone else in this thread: https://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/40570/labrynth-explorer-wip-suggestions-feedback-needed. The video links no longer work, but it's food for thought.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

edited January 2014
    I built an auto-mapping feature for a 3D maze like yours when I was first learning to use tables. In fact, I have a video of it somewhere around here.

You can see another example by someone else in this thread: https://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/40570/labrynth-explorer-wip-suggestions-feedback-needed. The video links no longer work, but it's food for thought.
    In my game there is a map system (top-right corner of the screen)
  • TheFrogeekTheFrogeek Member Posts: 97
    I know Legend of Grimrock, but I haven't play it. Maybe I should do it :D
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    In my game there is a map system (top-right corner of the screen)
    Yep, I saw that, and I remember @tatiang and @GLGames doing this sort of thing before.

I think the problem with this sort of game *nowadays* is that you can still lose your bearings/get lost easily.

One way to get around that is to put more variety into the environment, and maybe some landmarks.

Just a thought!

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

I took a quick screencast of my project file so you can see it. The graphics on this version were a bit haywire but you can see the 2D minimap I made that gets auto-generated as the player moves.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

And I agree with some of the earlier comments. My all-time favorite genre is RPG but that really can cover a broad spectrum (Wizardry, Might and Magic, Ultima, Legend of Zelda, Rogue) of games that are 3D, top-down, adventure-based, combat-based, etc.

I think if you are going re-create something that is similar to an old game, you have to add to it somehow. Maybe make the walls pushable so that you can shove blocks out of the way to create shortcuts or find secret areas. Add animations and objects to collect and use, much like a point-and-click adventure. Vary the look so that it's not just a straight 3D game but maybe have portions that are also top-down, such as stores or an "inn" or mini-games within the larger game.

Just to clarify: the graphics that you see in the video is just an example. What you see is only used for testing purposes. The walls, for example, are taken directly from Dungeon Master, and will not be the ones that I will use in the final game
    And I agree with some of the earlier comments.
    I think if you are going re-create something that is similar to an old game, you have to add to it somehow. Maybe make the walls pushable so that you can shove blocks out of the way to create shortcuts or find secret areas. Add animations and objects to collect and use, much like a point-and-click adventure.
    I will surely make something like this ;)
  • very clear gui indeed!!
  • DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277
    Hi Prisma,

I made a Dungeon Master inspired game with Gamesalad a couple of years back, which combined point and click puzzles with old-skool dungeon crawling - it's on the app store here:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dungeon-of-the-damned/id464741681?mt=8

Based on my experience my main thoughts are:

1) Definitely needs a mini-map. You've got this which is great! I didn't have this in my game and a lot of younger players really struggled without it.

2) Add plenty of RPG elements. You're primary audience will be old-skool RPG players and they love RPG stats etc. This is something I also neglected in my game and would do differently if re-making it.

3) If possible add variety to the dungeon areas - perhaps have different brickwork, grey stone / sand stone / marble etc. And add landmarks and features to the dungeon too.

4) Free-roaming creatures! I didn't manage to do this but that's what made Dungeon Master so amazing back in the day. In my game the player would get ambushed when they went around a corner which gave that feeling of them being free-roaming without actually seeing it.

Those are my thoughts. Definitely see it through, the ability to design and share dungeons sounds awesome! - but based on my experience don't expect big sales, after 2 years I still sell a few copies each week.

Hope that helps.
    edited January 2014
    Hi Prisma,

I made a Dungeon Master inspired game with Gamesalad a couple of years back, which combined point and click puzzles with old-skool dungeon crawling - it's on the app store here:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dungeon-of-the-damned/id464741681?mt=8

Based on my experience my main thoughts are:

1) Definitely needs a mini-map. You've got this which is great! I didn't have this in my game and a lot of younger players really struggled without it.

2) Add plenty of RPG elements. You're primary audience will be old-skool RPG players and they love RPG stats etc. This is something I also neglected in my game and would do differently if re-making it.

3) If possible add variety to the dungeon areas - perhaps have different brickwork, grey stone / sand stone / marble etc. And add landmarks and features to the dungeon too.

4) Free-roaming creatures! I didn't manage to do this but that's what made Dungeon Master so amazing back in the day. In my game the player would get ambushed when they went around a corner which gave that feeling of them being free-roaming without actually seeing it.

Those are my thoughts. Definitely see it through, the ability to design and share dungeons sounds awesome! - but based on my experience don't expect big sales, after 2 years I still sell a few copies each week.

Hope that helps.
    Indeed, I bought your game more than one year ago, while looking for examples of this kind of game;)

and thanks for the advice
    edited April 2015

A few weeks ago I started to work again on the project, after abandoning it for the past year ... and here we are: the game is almost completed. At least in its main structure.

I've changed many elements, and now the game has these features:

• 8 selectable Races
    • 8 (maybe 10) Classes with typical skill
    • Dozens of weapons, armor and shields
    • Permadeath: if you die, you will need to create a new character
    • Possibility to upgrade the village, and then the features and objects of the next characters
    • Secret doors, chest and other things.

Anyway, I've recorded a video with a few minutes of gameplay. I apologize for the errors still present (especially in the texts). Let me know what do you think of my work ;)

edited April 2015

It reminds me of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, the first game I sank countless hours into as a kid. :)

• ookami007ookami007 Member Posts: 581

I think it's a great idea... mostly because I have the SAME idea. This is a good thread and I'll keep checking.

I agree, that mostly you will be attracting people who grew up with the Wizardry/D&D Goldbox/M&M games.

Look at each, find the best features and see what you can implement.

Variety is nice. Multiple classes are great, but make sure you have skills that are upgradeable.

In my system, class just really give you bonus skill points in certain skills... after that, you put the skill points wherever you want. Adds much more flexibility - more of the newer rpg style - skills instead of classes.

Make sure, any class can use any item, otherwise, your best items may go unused or players may feel cheated because the big end weapon is a +5 holy avenging sword of really nasty damage, and they have a mage that can't use swords.

Mini-map is a must.

Also... remember that is a MOBILE game. People are playing the games when they have nothing else to do - on the toilet, waiting for the doctor, in line somewhere, etc. That's why casual games do really well.

Either make levels short and sweet or make it so you can save your current level easily and go back later.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you for your comments ;)

The idea behind my game is: you don't have to develop a character for hours and hours, but you have to develop your "village". Every character last for a short period of time, because even if he dies you can start over with another one that is stronger. Obviously you can level up a single character and unlock new skills, but it's more like a roguelike with some permanent bonus carried on between runs.

I think that in this way I can add some variety to the game and the player can try different class and races.

PS: ...and sorry for my english :P

• QASaladQASalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 142

The world 100% needs more dungeon crawling first person RPGs.

• gamestudentgamestudent Member Posts: 504

Definetly an improvement over last years version, it certainly looks fabulous!

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

Looking good Prisma!

Thank you ;)

I'm currently editing some skills and classes, and then I have to add more levels.
    The hard part now is to balance the game!

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Very cool indeed! Are your maps pre-made or are you generating them on runtime?

Pre-made. The first idea was a roguelike game with random-generated maps, but I've later switched on this solution...

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Yeah, I was wondering because I'm trying to figure out smart level generation (not necessarily for dungeons, more 'outside' maps) and it isn't an easy feat.

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

@Prisma_Comunicazione keep up the good work on the project... It's looking great!

I'm a big fan of anything dungeon-crawly... So looking forward to seeing this finished :)

Some updates:

I've completed 6 classes (Warrior, Rogue, Shaman, Barbarian, Priest, Wizard) with skills and special attributes, but I'm looking to add 4 more (Monk, Ninja, Necromancer, Templar).

So far, I've designed only 10 levels...I think that 30 will be my target.
    Surely It will need a few more days of work ;)

New trailer ;)