Dungeon Master + Roguelike? I need your opinion

13»

Comments

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@Prisma_Comunicazione

Bat Swarm got all their a*ses kicked.

Some comments:

End-level bosses disappear after killed once. That means the high EXP is given only once, and then is gone, so once you die, and the better your character gets, the more it becomes a grind, to a certain degree.

LOADING. Mentioned in one of the reviews on the App Store. There is a LOT of loading going on. The game would really benefit from restricting the loading to only certain things -- for example engaging enemies in battle should be possible without loading, as well as pausing the game or using the inventory. Also, the whole character setup could be without a single load.

Prices of buildings seem to be going up even when I don't build a new level, after every game I play. Is this intentional, or is it a bug?

While it seems you should be able to choose what level to start at, I cannot change the starting level on the selection screen (I've 'unlocked' level 2).

All in all a great, well-rounded game with a couple annoying, but definitely not game-breaking issues.

• 68kStudios68kStudios Member Posts: 219

@pHghost said:
    Prisma_Comunicazione

Bat Swarm got all their a*ses kicked.

Some comments:

End-level bosses disappear after killed once. That means the high EXP is given only once, and then is gone, so once you die, and the better your character gets, the more it becomes a grind, to a certain degree.

Well, I have to say that this is not 100% true. Every enemy or boss has a balanced amount of EXP given on death. If you kill the first boss you get 300 xp, but if you kill a standard enemy on 5th level you get 250/280 xp. So, there isn't so much grind.

LOADING. Mentioned in one of the reviews on the App Store. There is a LOT of loading going on. The game would really benefit from restricting the loading to only certain things -- for example engaging enemies in battle should be possible without loading, as well as pausing the game or using the inventory. Also, the whole character setup could be without a single load.

I'm working to improve loading times ;)
    But I don't think that I can put everything on a single screen...

Prices of buildings seem to be going up even when I don't build a new level, after every game I play. Is this intentional, or is it a bug?

It's intentional.

While it seems you should be able to choose what level to start at, I cannot change the starting level on the selection screen (I've 'unlocked' level 2).

To unlock level 2 you have to kill the boss of level 2.

All in all a great, well-rounded game with a couple annoying, but definitely not game-breaking issues.

Thank you ;)

@Prisma_Comunicazione said:
    To unlock level 2 you have to kill the boss of level 2.

Cool, good to know.

I'm working to improve loading times ;)
    But I don't think that I can put everything on a single screen...

Not necessarily everything. This is the maximum I would suggest:

• Loading from main menu to character selection
    • Loading from character selection to game
    • Loading between levels

Anything else does have an effect on the gameplay experience. If in need, send me a PM, building one-scene apps is a favorite hobby of mine, I can help out.

Well, I have to say that this is not 100% true. Every enemy or boss has a balanced amount of EXP given on death. If you kill the first boss you get 300 xp, but if you kill a standard enemy on 5th level you get 250/280 xp. So, there isn't so much grind.

Well, I'm on level 2 now. In level 1, to get past Bat Swarm, I never managed until I got to level 2 character. Tried to kill the level 2 boss with level 2 character, and seems impossible, probably need to be at least level 3 character. But because Bat Swarm is gone, that means grinding 900 EXP, which is quite a lot with just the basic enemies in level 1 and 2. I'm sure it gets better, and the grind isn't horrible, but there is definitely some.

@pHghost said:
    Well, I'm on level 2 now. In level 1, to get past Bat Swarm, I never managed until I got to level 2 character. Tried to kill the level 2 boss with level 2 character, and seems impossible, probably need to be at least level 3 character. But because Bat Swarm is gone, that means grinding 900 EXP, which is quite a lot with just the basic enemies in level 1 and 2. I'm sure it gets better, and the grind isn't horrible, but there is definitely some.

Searching for gold or relics and upgrade stuff (like farms) it's more important than develop a single PG ;) Another key to beat an enemy is to manage fatigue during fight...

edited August 2015

Searching for gold or relics and upgrade stuff (like farms) it's more important than develop a single PG ;)

Absolutely true, but it takes even more grinding. ;)

Don't get me wrong, the game is great (and I really recommend people to get it!), but it can feel grindy here and there. That is absolutely fine in itself (look at what Blizzard did with that concept), as long as you are aware of it and leverage it in the best way possible.

To avoid some loading times, I've added a "fast item use" in the main screen.

Very nice idea! Doesn't change my mind on getting rid of those loading transitions, though, especially for fights, since those happen quite often.

Currently I'm working on a Final Fantasy style game, quite large in scope, and pretty much all in one scene, it's simper than people tend to think, once you get in the right frame of mind.

One thing regarding the screenshots: I prefer the old style of movement buttons.

On my iPad 3rd generation (a more than 3 years old device) it take 3.2" - 3.5" to load the combat screen. I know how to make games in (almost) one scene, but I'm trying to avoid it now. Anyway, if I cannot improve any further the loading times, I'll probably try the "one scene" solution, thank for your suggestion ;)

PS: I thought that the old style icons were a little too "pixelated", more 8bit than 16bit :D

3.2" - 3.5" to load the combat screen.

Let's say 3 seconds, then it's 6 seconds per battle (in and out). That's quite a lot. An average of 10 battles gets your character from level 1 to level 2, that's 1 minute of loading time right there, if you don't need to use the inventory. And that number will go up with higher levels.

I know how to make games in (almost) one scene, but I'm trying to avoid it now.

What is the reason you are trying to avoid it? There might be some issues that it causes that I didn't come across yet.

PS: I thought that the old style icons were a little too "pixelated", more 8bit than 16bit :D

I see where you are coming from and I would agree. The original buttons are considerably more pixelated than the rest of the UI and graphics. The new ones are to 'smooth' and modern in style, and that doesn't fit the rest of the graphics. The best would be to keep the new pixel size, but have them more in line with the rough dungeon feel of the game.

Do you make all the graphics yourself?

@pHghost said:
    Do you make all the graphics yourself?

No, only some icons.

What is the reason you are trying to avoid it? There might be some issues that it causes that I didn't come across yet.

Time :) I need some time to change back to the one-scene solution (I've already tested it, see the first video on this thread), and currently I'm fixing other issues.

Anyway, review on "mazes os karradash" on TouchArcade http://toucharcade.com/2015/08/05/mazes-of-karradash-review/

edited August 2015

That's fair enough. As I mentioned earlier, I can help out if you need.

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

Touch Arcade gave this 4 out of 5, congrats!

@BazookaTime said:
    Touch Arcade gave this 4 out of 5, congrats!

Congrats!

I need some time to change back to the one-scene solution (I've already tested it, see the first video on this thread).

I really like the layout you have set up in the current version, and how combat had its own screen, that's all great and works really well, I wouldn't change that. What I meant was having it in one scene, but it would all look exactly the same as it does now -- only without the loading.

@pHghost said:
    I really like the layout you have set up in the current version, and how combat had its own screen, that's all great and works really well, I wouldn't change that. What I meant was having it in one scene, but it would all look exactly the same as it does now -- only without the loading.

Yes, I will not change the layout. It will be all the same, but in one scene.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Having everything on one scene is fairly easy, it just takes some getting use to. Pretty much a global attribute that changes and the camera follows.

Example:
    ipad project at portrait:
    game.attribute = 0 would be main menu, (camera origin at 0,0)
    game.attribute =1 would be playing screen, (camera origin at 768,0)
    game.attribute=2 would be fighting screen, (camera origin at 1536,0)
    etc.

So from main menu when you hit play it would change game.attribute to 1 instead of change scene, then when you encounter and enemy it would change to game.attribute to 2, now your on your fight screen, once your fight is over it would change back to 1 and so on.

Just need to make sure to have your behaviors under rules like when attribute is 1 your able to do this, when its 2 your able to do that.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

edited August 2015

Actually, I know how to make games in one single scene (I've done it before, with adventure and arcade games), but thank you anyway :)

It's in my to-do list for the next updates ;)

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Actually, I know how to make games in one single scene (I've done it before, with adventure and arcade games), but thank you anyway :)

It's in my to-do list for the next updates ;)

Ah ok, i misunderstood.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

@Prisma_Comunicazione

Now that I’ve played your game some more (currently on level 8), here are some more thoughts:

1. The grind doesn’t really go away. It is true, as you said, that on higher levels you get more EXP for harder enemies, but you also need a lot more EXP to level up, so the grind stays. It actually becomes worse, since the EXP you need goes up way faster than the EXP you get from higher enemies. I still think that removing the bosses once you beat them once is the best thing to do (maybe you could leave them, but reduce the EXP you get from them to 1/2 on further runs? I’m sure there is a good compromise somewhere.

2. On higher levels, sleep is not only ineffective, but a complete anti-feature, basically suicide. The rate of regeneration is unbelievably low compared to damage taken by high-level creatures, especially since you also get a combat penalty. And you are attacked so often it becomes frustrating. If you want to have a feature in the game, it should work, or else it shouldn’t be there. All that needs to be done is one of two things (there will be more solutions, maybe you can think of one): either make regeneration faster with each dungeon level you get to, or create ‘zones’ in some rooms where you can rest and get attacked less often. The second option would mean that you cannot just camp in front of the boss and easily sleep to full regeneration (though at the same time, why not, they are hard to beat even so), but would have to be in a place that you would specify, in order to have the reduced attacks.

3. Treasure drops. I will let a screenshot speak for itself first:

It’s probably quite clear what my issue here is. Since you have to grind a lot, I know the levels quite well now and don’t need the reveal map item at all. But even on a first run — on level 8 having 14 reveal maps is simply crazy. There is a big imbalance between those and for example bait drops. Or even simple potions, which aren’t terribly strong anyway, but at least are practical. As a player, I’d like more potions, bait, and of course relics. It’s understandable that there needs to be a balance and you can’t give away too many relics, or the game would be too quick, the player too powerful too soon. One solution would be to get some extra money for unused items when you die. That way, even if you get items you don’t need, you will get something for them in the end. The way it is now, every time you get a reveal map, as a layer you are disappointed, because it is worthless.

edited September 2015

Hi!
    I've updated my game in the last month, and now it's faster and have some new stuff and options. Hope you like it ;)