State of GameSalad on 2-5-2014

Comments

• Fal01Fal01 Member Posts: 460
    @Bitvork,

My Mac game was accepted using the latest nightly build.

It’s not a bug – it’s an undocumented feature

• BitvorkBitvork Member, PRO Posts: 119
    @Bitvork,

Thank you for that info. ;) However, I have to wait for the stable GS version. I am sorry for my previous comments. I am just sad and powerless at this moment. :( I have reported all things to Bob. I hope it will be OK soon. GS team is always doing a great job!
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    I myself, as a longtime user, have to say as codewizard has been running things for less than a year, he's already made more progress than his predecessors did in five years. I believe things will continue to get even better it just takes time with a small staff. Based on what I've seen from him in the short time he's been here I have faith it will get better and I'm ready to be patient.
  • wpatenwpaten Member, PRO Posts: 281
    @Bitvork,

Thanks for this!! I have 2 games that have been waiting for a good report. :-)
  • clee2005clee2005 http://Donkeysoft.caMember, PRO Posts: 194
    edited February 2014
    So I just had my second app rejected. This one is a new game that was in the Apple queue for 9 days before finding out that it was rejected due to the advertising API issue that @CodeWizard mentioned. Is this not a super critical issue? I'm surprised to only have seen this mentioned a bit in the forums so far. I would think this is a drop everything and fix it kinda bug. Is there a workaround that I'm missing?

This is pretty frustrating as this pushes everything out another 8-10 days just on Apple's side... plus whatever the wait is for GS to address this.
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    That is why I rarely use Nighlies as official builds. Doing so is just asking to give your customers faulty bugs. In any case it is a Nightly so you shouldn't really have any expectation of it being perfectly smooth and bug free anyways.

On the other hand, @CodeWizard can you please give us an semi realistic timeline for when to expect 11.0. Look I realize you guys have been working hard, but an estimate time frame should not be this wrong. Maybe it will be released in Dec. No wait January should be more realistic. How about February... that is a good month. Are we now looking at March... April... next Dec??? Seriously I get you guys were fixing a broken engine, but that also doesn't explain the numerous extra features that were added. Don't get me wrong I like them, but is there any reason they couldn't wait for 11.1? I have desperately needed a functioning ad system for over 3 months now. More realistically since Mobclix was released.

I keep updating games and they are just piling up waiting for 11.0. It has been over 2 months with 5 different apps updated and ready to go waiting to be released. It is getting extremely frustrating because it is stalling my business. I'm sure you guys would hate the idea of having your paychecks stalled until you released 11.0 wouldn't you?

[/end vent]

So anyways, may we have an semi accurate release date, week, or month? It really isn't rocket science. The most agitating part of it all is when you guys won't even keep us updated with a time frame. How are we supposed to plot our workflow when we aren't informed?
  • CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    Yet. When I say this.........................................................................
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    @sadida172 Ah I didn't realize they had slipped it into the publisher on the stable version. Yea not cool.
  • wpatenwpaten Member, PRO Posts: 281
    edited February 2014
    Yeah my guess has been that something changed on Apple's side, not GS's side. Because everything was working perfectly until we all started getting rejections left and right, both with the Stable Release as well as the Nightly.

It's just monumentally bad timing as it just happened to occur when the majority of the GS team was at that conference. Hopefully a fix is coming soon.

Edited - Of course the other possibility is that these rejections started taking place after the implementation of the new ad services (Chartboost/Revmob), so maybe THAT's what caused it.

(Throws up hands in air with befuddled look on face)
  • mcrtommcrtom Member, PRO Posts: 147
    So at the moment as long as you include iads somewhere it will get approved?
  • mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    One thing I do know about Apple is they love to use automatic tools to diagnose things. Internal software that can do as much of the legwork as possible and I am sure reviewers have a list of things to check off that is semi-organic - a process that adheres as tightly as possible to the terms and conditions.
  • clee2005clee2005 http://Donkeysoft.caMember, PRO Posts: 194
    edited February 2014
    So at the moment as long as you include iads somewhere it will get approved?
    Doesn't seem so. I had ads turned on for this latest release, and off for an update and both got handed back for the same reason.

Just because I haven't seen it posted (in this thread anyway), here is the error report from Apple :

PLA 3.3.12

We found your app uses the iOS Advertising Identifier but does not include ad functionality. This does not comply with the terms of the iOS Developer Program License Agreement, as required by the App Store Review Guidelines.

Please check your code - including any third-party libraries - to remove any instances of:

class: ASIdentifierManager
    selector: advertisingIdentifier
    framework: AdSupport.framework
  • When is the Tizen free months of Pro coming through? It's been a couple months since my first app was approved and my membership runs out in a few days. Also, we've been waiting for weeks and weeks for this latest version to come out. I've got apps waiting to publish but I need the new fixes/monetization before I publish them to android. It was supposed to be released in the fall, then late 2013, then January 2014... now it's February... are we getting some extension on our Pro Memberships for the wait? Or at least keeping them active until our Tizen Promo time comes in?
    I'm usually quite positive, but the people I work with have reached their patience limit and the pressure is on me to get these games out the door.
    Bob has sent me a message about Windows 8. Publishing should be OK now. Just for your info guys. :-) I will test it immediately.
  • mcrtommcrtom Member, PRO Posts: 147
    @clee2005 Ahh right, seems like some people just been lucky then.
    Windows 8 publishing issue has been fixed correctly. My new game went through the certification process without problems. ;-) Thank you GS members!!
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Just wanted to say that I've been playing with the latest version and the new 'Display text' stuff is awesome.

I honestly think it's the biggest improvement to GS since interpolate and tables! :O

Let's get this publishing issue fixed please, then custom fonts would be wonderful!

Cheers!

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451
    Just wanted to say that I've been playing with the latest version and the new 'Display text' stuff is awesome.

I honestly think it's the biggest improvement to GS since interpolate and tables! :O

Let's get this publishing issue fixed please, then custom fonts would be wonderful!

Cheers!

QS =D
    I have to agree with you here mate, and custom fonts would be the icing on the cake :)

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

Cheers!

QS =D
    the new display text is awesome, but without custom fonts it's like oreos without milk.

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

Cheers!

QS =D
    the new display text is awesome, but without custom fonts it's like oreos without milk.

I hear ya - custom fonts and the display stuff will, I believe, fundamentally change and improve the way everyone works, and they way games are built!

But hey, let's get some ad stuff working first, eh?

*cough*

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    edited February 2014
    Hey woah woah…

I hear ya - custom fonts and the display stuff will, I believe, fundamentally change and improve the way everyone works, and they way games are built!

But hey, let's get some ad stuff working first, eh?

*cough*

QS =D
    Did I detect a little sarcasm there…

You like ads really right?… right?

I mean who doesn't like adverts. I LOVE them. On the tv, on youtube videos, in search results, on Facebook, in my daughters school bag, on the best games, on paid games, in kids education apps, behind me.. aahh!… you pesky advert..

… on Candy crush saga… err… nope
    …on Clash of the Clans… err… nope
    …on GTA… err nope
    … on Audio Invaders … err… nope (maybe I should?)
    … we want custom fonts…
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    haha yeh give me custom fonts seeing as I still don't have joints ;)
  • App_MakerApp_Maker Member, PRO Posts: 64
    Does anyone know if we can use Chartboost and Revmob and publish an app with them from the nightly builds to go live?
  • neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826
    edited February 2014
    Does anyone know if we can use Chartboost and Revmob and publish an app with them from the nightly builds to go live?
    @App_Maker Check my comment below. It has the details you are looking for which was the result of my testing ;-)
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/448091#Comment_448091
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    edited February 2014
    one thing that i wanted to mention and always forgets is the actor position, right now the position is a real number value, meaning you can place an image at 10.325 pixel, there is no value to do that, it should be whole number, so the image is not blurred out. i hope game salad changes that, it's simple fix, you'd simply convert all pre-existing code to convert the value to say 10 pixel... that would also fix some retina/none retina blurring issues. hope you know i'm giving you some insights.
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    one thing that i wanted to mention and always forgets is the actor position, right now the position is a real number value, meaning you can place an image at 10.325 pixel, there is no value to do that, it should be whole number, so the image is not blurred out. i hope game salad changes that, it's simple fix, you'd simply convert all pre-existing code to convert the value to say 10 pixel... that would also fix some retina/none retina blurring issues. hope you know i'm giving you some insights.
    Hmmm... Is that why some of my images are blurry while others are not? Will have to test- thanks!

no no. I complain and Im a bad guy. you guys complain... and its the process of progress???? Oh NO!!! you will have your failed advert services and you will like them.
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    no no. I complain and Im a bad guy. you guys complain... and its the process of progress???? Oh NO!!! you will have your failed advert services and you will like them.
    Your talking to yourself, not a good sign. ;)

when it comes to GS and their list of priorities........ we are all talking to ourselves.