State of GameSalad on 2-27-2014

Comments

• BitvorkBitvork Member, PRO Posts: 119
    The more info you can provide each week the more patience you will get from the Pro users. ;-) Thanks for this post. Really great work!
  • IcedBIcedB Member, PRO Posts: 384
    @CodeWizard so this new code restructuring will pave the way for the 3rd party plugins???
    I'm begging for this software to become more open ended, else I will definitely be going elsewhere soon
  • sladaksladak Member Posts: 119
    @codewizard Thanks for your hard work - this is looking very promising.
  • justinodunnjustinodunn Member, PRO Posts: 226
    Are revmob or chartboost available only to the nightly build? what about stable build?
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Are revmob or chartboost available only to the nightly build? what about stable build?
    should be ready with the .11 release
  • Ij10281Ij10281 Member Posts: 35
    I really hope GameSalad keeps the same amount of speed they had this last week in the upcoming weeks!!!
  • neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826
    edited March 2014
    May the source be with you @CodeWizard‌ "The Source Code that is ..." ha ha Thank you and the GS team for the hard work. Bring on .11 release ;-)

Any ideas when that might be?
  • tylerglessnertylerglessner Member Posts: 246

Definitely not never, but probably not today

Definitely not never, but probably not today
    Haha of course, would love to see more monetization options for android :)
  • ClockClock Member Posts: 308
    @justinodunn I just published an android game with RevMob in it (and it works 100%; at least the startup ad [which is the only one I selected]). I'm pretty sure chartboost works aswell!
    completely working? no bugs?
  • CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    What is this Candidate Release System? Can someone give a example on what this is and how its implemented?
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Release candidates are basically nightlies for everyone.
    @justinodunn I just published an android game with RevMob in it (and it works 100%; at least the startup ad [which is the only one I selected]). I'm pretty sure chartboost works aswell!
    I meant for stable versions, I don't use nightlies because they're quite buggy.
  • JDuaneJJDuaneJ San Francisco Member Posts: 300
    Appreciate the hard work over there! Please give cookies to the team...after .11 is release of course, don't want them fleeing the studio after all. ;)
    edited March 2014
    I'm hoping that the cookbook will be updated... Especially monetization process for android...
  • codybeanscodybeans Member, PRO Posts: 74
    Does....any of this new ability to monetize android apply to windows creator at all?
    I meant for stable versions, I don't use nightlies because they're quite buggy.
    Ah alright. Stable RevMob & Chartboost comes with 11 :)
    11 you mean nightly? or a future stable release?
    Does....any of this new ability to monetize android apply to windows creator at all?
    I am wondering the same thing can anyone answer this?....

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    @clee2005 I'm not very familiar with tables yet, but I can think of great ways to use this, so I'm going to learn about them. Thank you.

This is another example of what I like so much about GS and this community: it is filled with people who are so generous with sharing their work, giving advice, offering templates and providing free video tutorials.
  • HappyKat78HappyKat78 Member, BASIC Posts: 173
    Does the new release have pixel (or any kind of improved) collision by any chance? I couldn't find it anymore on the roadmap. I see in the forums that people have been asking for this for nearly 5 years! Eek! I'd love to see it too. Thanks
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    @CodeWizard‌ I have suggestion for the new cross platform creator. Can you build the debug window into the interface or have the option to keep the window on top?
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    @HappyKat78‌
    I think the 'custom physics shapes in the future' line in the roadmap is the closest reference to pixel collisions...

"Improved Physics

Our physics support is really good but it could be better. We're planning on adding joint support, constraints and custom physics shapes in the future."

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    @HappyKat78‌
    I think the 'custom physics shapes in the future' line in the roadmap is the closest reference to pixel collisions...

"Improved Physics

Our physics support is really good but it could be better. We're planning on adding joint support, constraints and custom physics shapes in the future."

Having GameSalad take an actor's image and using the transparent areas to determine the collision shape would be gamechanging.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    @HappyKat78‌

"Improved Physics

Having GameSalad take an actor's image and using the transparent areas to determine the collision shape would be gamechanging.

i think there is a limitation of the box2d physics engine that prevents this. however custom physics shapes could fix this.
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    edited March 2014
    A really simple fix to the collision would just be to let us specify the width and height of the actors collision box. An image that is 60x60, but you want the collision at 40x40, you could just type that in. Then an offsetter to handle if it isn't directly centered. Lastly, from there we can just adjust whether it is a circle or rectangle. Done. That would handle the large majority of collisions and it is something that we already do in GS through magnitude anyways. They just place it in the back-end and attach it to the Actors attribute list.

Although one extra thing that would be nice is if they added a colored line around the border of the collision box so it is visible. Would be nice to see it while editing it so you can get it exactly where you want it without guess work.
  • wpatenwpaten Member, PRO Posts: 281
    A really simple fix to the collision would just be to let us specify the width and height of the actors collision box. An image that is 60x60, but you want the collision at 40x40, you could just type that in. Then an offsetter to handle if it isn't directly centered. Lastly, from there we can just adjust whether it is a circle or rectangle. Done. That would handle the large majority of collisions and it is something that we already do in GS through magnitude anyways. They just place it in the back-end and attach it to the Actors attribute list.
    +1. Nice.

So correct me if Im wrong, but a release candidate, for 0.11.0 is suppose to release tonight? Or tomorrow?
  • rdlew2008rdlew2008 Member, PRO Posts: 85
    So correct me if Im wrong, but a release candidate, for 0.11.0 is suppose to release tonight? Or tomorrow?
    what are you talking about? where did you get such information? I need answers!!!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    @rdlew2008‌ :
    Current ETA for the first release candidate is Monday / Tuesday.