Release Candidate 0.11.0.3 is available!

Comments

• darrelfdarrelf Member Posts: 243

@Approw said:
    darrelf‌

I do understand you frustration, but the RC version mentions "CAUTION:EXPERIMENTAL BUILD NOT FOR PRODUCTION". No one tells you this is a stable version with all the features working correctly. Lets wait for the stable 0.11

@Approw I'm not that frustrated - just a little concerned at one or two tickets being closed off and not knowing if the issues have been resolved. Releasing a stable build with major reported problems still present would be a tad annoying...

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    edited April 2014

@BlackCloakGS Hm... Images optimized with tinypng looks fine in rc3 editor. They also looksfine on iPad 2. Am I missing something? Shouldn't there be problem with those images?

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

With regards to revmob and chartboost you have to wait 60 seconds between ads. If you try to display an ad sooner than 60 seconds it will not show the ad. This applies to all interstitial ads and all providers.

@darrelf said:
    BlackCloakGS‌ Great stuff - looking forward to the future.

>

Also, like others, black screens appear for many seconds on Android devices following the close of Revmob ads. Even on fast devices such as a newish HTC phone. Has this been fixed?

This has to do with the way android's UI framework works. It creates and destroys the UI every time it changes and the black screen you are seeing the time it is taking to recreate the UI view. This will not be fixed for 11 but we will work to see what we can do to help minimize this issue

edited April 2014

@BlackCloakGS said:
    With regards to revmob and chartboost you have to wait 60 seconds between ads. If you try to display an ad sooner than 60 seconds it will not show the ad. This applies to all interstitial ads and all providers.

Thanks @BlackCloakGS - really good to know.

And thanks for the latest post regarding black screens. This info can help users tailor the coding to deliver the best possible user experience whilst (hopefully) generating ad revenue.

I think the last point is on revmob ads never showing for me when the target change scene is a previous scene in terms of order.

@BlackCloakGS said:

What a great reason to add banner ads for Android :wink:

edited April 2014

What is the reason for wanting to show ads sooner the 60 secs? I would think users would get annoyed if a game showed a full screen ad more often.

• HappyBadgersHappyBadgers Member Posts: 53

@darrelf said:

Also, like others, black screens appear for many seconds on Android devices following the close of Revmob ads. Even on fast devices such as a newish HTC phone. Has this been fixed?

We're noticing this too, heavily affecting performance - not just a black screen, but everything runs sluggish after an ad.

@BlackCloakGS said:
    What is the reason for wanting to show ads sooner the 60 secs? I would think users would get annoyed if a game showed a full screen ad more often.

@BlackCloakGS The game I'm working on is a very simple one where replays can be very frequent. It's not a flappy clone though! I'm not necessarily looking to show ads more frequently but it's good to understand how it works. Now I can perhaps only instigate the change scene behaviour to display an ad once 60 seconds have passed - this will make the game much more playable in the interim.

The big win will (if possible) be if you guys can reduce the black screen time.

It's not a problem for banner ads - the test iAds work beautifully and show almost every single time (I know not to expect this fill rate when live).

• AlvinFAlvinF Member Posts: 69

@BlackCloakGS said:

Why not ? Many free ads start up display 1 to 2 full screen ads and everytime gameover will show ads again. Show ads or not is decide by the developer, right ?

• fishbowl1fishbowl1 Member Posts: 54

@natzuur said:
    BlackCloakGS I too am experiencing the now notorius and seemingly ignored issue with interpolating alpha. This is a big thing for a lot of us and i've yet to see a solid response. It literally makes the newest builds unusable. You're essentially removing a feature at this point if it goes unresolved.

I am using 32 bit png's and have been for the longest time. So that is not the issue. It's really starting to worry me. So please...

WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THIS BUG?

Would love to hear an update on this... I submitted a support ticket yesterday so hopefully we can get this resolved soon!

@Fishbowl‌1 we are look in into this. It is not an easy problem. Not all pngs are created equal and we are not finding any ways to detect the difference.

• pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,212
    edited April 2014

Yes @AlfinF
    i think the same thing,

if i checked interstitial in the change scene behaviour the banner must appear!
    what logical sense have to add a timer of 60 sec???

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

@BlackCloakGS said:
    I would think users would get annoyed if a game showed a full screen ad more often.

What do the users have to do with this?

/s

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

@quantumsheep nothing . I am just trying to get a feel for how you guys want to use this feature why the limit a issue. Just gathering information.

@BlackCloakGS I don't know why but I read your post above and thought it was a limit set by the ad networks. Silly me.

My preference would be for no limit at all so we can have complete freedom on when to display an ad.

Any plans to offer Android banner ads in the future?

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@BlackCloakGS said:
    quantumsheep nothing . I am just trying to get a feel for how you guys want to use this feature why the limit a issue. Just gathering information.

i could be wrong, but i think sheepy was being sarcastic, we all know how much he loves advertisements in his apps. it's his top priority!

edited April 2014

@darrelf said:
    BlackCloakGS I don't know why but I read your post above and thought it was a limit set by the ad networks. Silly me.

My preference would be for no limit at all so we can have complete freedom on when to display an ad.

Any plans to offer Android banner ads in the future?

at some point sure. Not sure when though

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

@BlackCloakGS‌

Can you explain more on how ads are working right now, Do they start feeding to app once it starts or after it hits a interstitial check block and then only after 60 seconds will ad popup and does hitting a interstitial check block again if 60 seconds has not passed reset that 60 seconds?

• squirrel42squirrel42 Member, PRO Posts: 195

@BlackCloakGS said:
    Fishbowl‌1 we are look in into this. It is not an easy problem. Not all pngs are created equal and we are not finding any ways to detect the difference.

Oh dear, sounds ominous! I thought as it has been around for so long and that it was not mentioned in the release notes much that it was one of those 'all hands on deck' issues...?

• HappyBadgersHappyBadgers Member Posts: 53

@darrelf said:
    BlackCloakGS I don't know why but I read your post above and thought it was a limit set by the ad networks. Silly me.

Maybe the best UX for developers would be to let them set the minimum ad interval. I for one like the 60 second wait, but I can see how some developers would want to adjust that to 30 seconds or something else. It would be nice if that was just a simple settings instead of having to create a bunch of rules to add the minimum interval back in. :)

edited April 2014

We are going to change it will post an update when the change is made.
    Also we have made changes to support pre-muitlpyed alpha png images. This will be in the next RC

• fiorentinfiorentin Member Posts: 58

To png or not to?

@jonmulcahy said:
    i could be wrong, but i think sheepy was being sarcastic, we all know how much he loves advertisements in his apps. it's his top priority!

You know me so well!

@‌BlackCloakGs - my bad - I'm still learning this internet stuff and thought /s was the universal sign for sarcasm :D

• mulyincmulyinc Member, PRO Posts: 102

Well I think the main issue with the current PNG / alpha issue is that you change something that's working very well since years. We for example finished a large game project with more than 1 year work and now when we are ready to publish it with the newest upcoming GS release we maybe have to complete rework the artwork. That maybe works fine for hobby projects but not for large projects where you spend a lot of time and money into it. Really hope this will work out.

• 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Member, PRO Posts: 368

Thanks for the info @Socks‌

I guess now I'm just a bit confused overall on what's the issue with not being able to use PNG files that have been optimized/compressed. Does this just pertain to the interpolate issue or will they break the game? If I get more time I'll test it myself later but for now I guess I'll just miss out on the new features for my current apps and stick with 0.10.4.

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

@8BitAvrin said:
    Thanks for the info Socks‌

I guess now I'm just a bit confused overall on what's the issue with not being able to use PNG files that have been optimized/compressed. Does this just pertain to the interpolate issue or will they break the game? If I get more time I'll test it myself later but for now I guess I'll just miss out on the new features for my current apps and stick with 0.10.4.

My game Steam Jack has 1280 images that I ran all of them through Tinypng to get game size down and I just play tested some new stuff using 11.03 and I seen no difference in the games look or performance.

@mulyinc said:
    Well I think the main issue with the current PNG / alpha issue is that you change something that's working very well since years. We for example finished a large game project with more than 1 year work and now when we are ready to publish it with the newest upcoming GS release we maybe have to complete rework the artwork. That maybe works fine for hobby projects but not for large projects where you spend a lot of time and money into it. Really hope this will work out.

Pains me as it does, I have to agree with @‌mulyinc

This is the second time that I know of where the workflow/details have changed significantly.

I understand that this will be for the better in the long term, and future games will be fine I'm sure. It's just current and past projects may be adversely affected.

For example, I'm waiting for the 'scene change memory leak' to be fixed so I can fix my game. This particular issue wasn't mentioned anywhere, despite the GS team seemingly knowing about it when it was brought up as an issue by myself and others.

Now, even if that's fixed, I'll have to go through hundreds of images to make sure they all work fine, perhaps redoing some of them completely.

This maybe works fine for large projects where you can spend a lot of time and money on fixing the art, but less so for less patronising users.

QS =D

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

This is so tedious the same bugs get mentioned over and over and over and yes over again. Where is the public facing bug data base so we can all see what is and isn't going on???

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited April 2014

@colander said:
    Where is the public facing bug data base so we can all see what is and isn't going on???

Yep, it's pretty ridiculous, these things get talked about for years, but nothing ever really happens, all GS would have to have done was to create a (moderated) thread where people can post known bugs, this would provide a history of each issue, a timeline, a sense of how many people are effected and so on - and I appreciate that GS will argue that a public facing bug database needs to be properly constructed, needs to be able to do this and that and meet various technical needs, but at the end of the day (or at the end of the month, year, decade) even the very very best public facing database that meets all the technical needs of GS with all the bells and whistles is pretty much useless if it doesn't actually exist, it will always be less good that something that does exist, even if that is a simple thread (or even sub-forum) where we could get an idea of what bugs GS know about.

For example I literally have no clue whether GS are aware of the broken link between prototypes and instances, there is simply no way of knowing, unless a staff member makes a post on a thread that you happen to read your guess is as good as anyone's, you simply have to wait until the next release and hope the bug has been addressed.