Release Candidate 0.11.0.3 is available!

124»

Comments

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@BBEnk It is reassuring to know that all of your 1280 Tinypng images work fine. I haven't tried FireWorks PNGs with 11.03 though.

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

I know the is a lot a confusion on how we are handling image. I will be doing a full write up on how we handle image from creator to our engine soon. Hope it will help clear up the confusion. Still wast deep in looking into the last of the png issues.

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

Does anybody know if the Kindle HDX sound bug is fixed in this Release Candidate?

• pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,212
    edited April 2014

Hi, Today i've retested ChartBoost and RevMob in my Android device, i used new RC and a Chronometer to test the showing of adv, and yes i can confirm that they appears every 60Sec.

regardless of the type of advertising is inserted it interstitial or start-ups have to go more than 60 seconds; if you exit the game it does not matter you should to wait 60Sec.

i've tried both chartboost and revmob they have same limit set by GS of 60sec.

So is more clear to say that they work well, with a limit of "60Sec"

Bye.

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited April 2014

@BlackCloakGS Text is broke, published to android with stretch and got some weird results.

This is with 2 separate actors (I tried with "Zone "..Game.integer and got the same results.) one simply has a display text Zone for e.g. the other actor has the game.integer.

You can see the word ZONE has the E on a new line.

Darren.

Darren - I've had this same issue with Android when publishing with 0.10.4. But not on all Android devices.

As a work around - I found that by stretching out my actors so that they were longer than the text they needed to display it no longer dropped the last letter down.

• vafurlogivafurlogi Member, PRO Posts: 203
    edited April 2014

I'm wondering about loading times (again). I've been making a game that has small mini games and animations around each letter of the alphabet. Each letter has its own scene and those letters that have animations have rather large images to animate (and about 16-20 frames each). In the latest stable version my heaviest scene loads in 4,5 seconds. I thought that was way to slow to release back then. In this RC version it loads in just under 7 seconds. Everything else is slower as well. I'm not using any image compression and all images are PNGs made with Photoshop (save for web, mix of 8 and 24 bit).

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

@vafurlogi I have the same problem with load times going way up in 11.03, but I am not sure if it is only a PNG problem like you mention in your post. I think it is more likely that the longer load times comes from a known bug in GS where switching scenes don't release the memory used in the previous scene. This makes each scene switch take longer and longer until GS crashes when it runs out of memory. I did a test and found that the first time a switch from one scene to the next in 11.0 it loads with normal speed. Then the next time I load the same scene it takes twice as long or even three times to load the next scene.

Just thought I would mention it.

• vafurlogivafurlogi Member, PRO Posts: 203

@viking Yes, that might be it but the slow loading has been around since the nightly builds a few months ago, might have gotten worse but only recently timed it. But to get to my "heavy test scene" I need to go trough my 'front page scene' and from there to a memory-light 'menu scene'. I timed the loading after clearing the app from memory and starting fresh and the loading is about the same thereafter, so I'm not experiencing the memory crash you described or slowing down. Just slow. Have no idea if it's related to PNG images and did not mean to blame this on that.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@BlackCloakGS‌ - interpolating the alpha of an actor is still messed up. Just wanted to let you know.

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

@Braydon_SFX can you be more specific then messed up

@BlackCloakGS‌ - Here's a short video of the issue. When the interpolate behavior is in effect, you'll see that the image of the actor turns black and white and then fades.

@BlackCloakGS‌ - Whoops. My mistake. I meant to post this bug in the nightly thread. But I think the issue is in the RC as well.

edited April 2014

@DeepBlueApps said:
    BlackCloakGS Text is broke, published to android with stretch and got some weird results.

This is with 2 separate actors (I tried with "Zone "..Game.integer and got the same results.) one simply has a display text Zone for e.g. the other actor has the game.integer.

You can see the word ZONE has the E on a new line.

Darren.

Actually, scrap what I previously said about this - my fix doesn't work.
    I also have this text display bug on Android, but when publishing with 0.10.4 (and therefore not using stretch).

EDIT:

Here's an example of the issue running in my game.
    On the Menu Screen (15 secs in) you can see the text displaying incorrectly.

As I said this is published with 0.10.4 - so this is an ongoing issue.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    edited April 2014

A little random, but I just updated my GameSaladRC to this newest version using the built-in updating. I now have a shiny new RC and a 74 byte GameSaladDaily application that cannot be opened. When I clicked the relaunch button, it quit both GameSaladRC and GameSaladDaily, and then did whatever it did to break by daily :D No idea what happened, and cannot provide steps to reproduce as I really wasn't paying that much attention.

Edit: Checking my latest save of the project I was editing in the daily, I had version 250 of that. So both RC and Daily were open and one version behind when I started the update in RC.

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited April 2014

@BlackCloakGS said:
    @Braydon_SFX can you be more specific then messed up

Alpha is broken since last year and it still is like that in the RC. It was mentioned and reported as a bug but it was simply being ignored. It isn't just interpolating the alpha that is broken. Whenever the alpha value of an actor is lower than 1 its image will appear dark (even for particles).

I've made a quick screenshot to demonstrate the problem. The actor on the left is lying above a black square. You can clearly see the WHITE outline. The actor in the middle is how it shows up with an alpha value of 1 in front of a white background. The actor on the right has an alpha value of 0.5. It should get lighter but instead it gets dark, even the white outline shows up as grey.

I don't get why there aren't more people talking about this. For me this is visually destroying my projects. I'm constantly using the alpha value with interpolate or for particles.

Oh, btw: the screenshot was made with the newest RC and the image is a normal .png made with photoshop - no size optimization at all.

• stueynetstueynet TorontoMember Posts: 166

So this is not just a fireworks issue. I started this thread last week to try and focus on just the alpha problem.

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/66615/rc3-and-premultiplied-alpha-when-using-fireworks#latest

My Latest GS Game - Tiny Spirit
    My First GS Game - Dashing Ralph

• ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453

I haven't seen this mentioned yet when choosing not to use a custom startup image it just sits on a blank black screen while the app loads. Why not just load first scene image. This was also on the previous RC. I guess I could use a false first scene image as the startup

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730
    edited April 2014

@Chaser said:
    I haven't seen this mentioned yet when choosing not to use a custom startup image it just sits on a blank black screen while the app loads. Why not just load first scene image. This was also on the previous RC. I guess I could use a false first scene image as the startup

This is expected behavior and wanted behavior. There is no such thing as a "first scene image" since the first scene usually is built by several GUI elements. In earlier versions of GS (from past years) a default GS image was loaded if none were provided (actually non-pro users could not add a custom image at that time), people did not like that. Add your own.

• ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    edited April 2014

@JSproject‌ I ended up using my logo but thought it might load faster without as the app Speak Aid HD is for stroke recovery and trying to keep it as easy and user friendly as possible.
    ...Edit should have kept the word "image" out of that post

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@BBEnk said:
    BlackCloakGS‌

Can you explain more on how ads are working right now, Do they start feeding to app once it starts or after it hits a interstitial check block and then only after 60 seconds will ad popup and does hitting a interstitial check block again if 60 seconds has not passed reset that 60 seconds?

When an ad is requested, it starts a 60-second timer. If you try to show an ad before the timer expires, the ad request will be skipped. Once the timer expires, another ad request will go through and restart the timer.

• FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970

@stevej Hold up. So what you are saying is:

If I have the Interstitial Ad check box in the Change Scene, the ad has been requested. Then we must wait 60 seconds before the requested ad is allowed to show?

Is that correct?

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@stevej You began by saying, "When an ad is requested..." What causes the ad to be requested? I assume that if I put an iAd banner on a scene, as soon as that scenes loads an ad would be requested. Then, if the user fails the task at hand (dies or crashes or whatever) and the scene resets, a new request for an ad would be sent.

• PoisonSaintPoisonSaint Member, PRO Posts: 17

When you say 60 seconds, is it 60 seconds between ads or does the user have to start the app/game for at least 60 seconds before the first ads shows up. If my goal is to hit them with an ad right when they open the app, will the ad show?

Also do I have to use a timer or can I just drag the "Show Ad" into a scene? I don't like using timer for ads.

• PoisonSaintPoisonSaint Member, PRO Posts: 17

I have another question. I have a projected created that I want to add revmob to. To do that, do I just download this Release Candidate, open my project in this new 0.11 version, and then click publish.

Because right now for Android publishing the revmob and charboost are greyed out. If I do the above will they become active/usable?