Release Candidate 0.11.0.8 is available!

Comments

• DaveinpublicDaveinpublic Member Posts: 37

I remember when @codewizard mentioned changing up a bunch of the backend to be able to make changes faster in the future - and here we are now, seeing the benefits.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

Indeed! Really feels like progress is being made in leaps and bounds! Exciting times!

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited April 2014

I remember when no one understood what tech debt was and were complaining things were not happening fast enough :)

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@imGua
    Those image problems are being caused by our image conversion tool not understanding the images you're using. You're most likely using a png optimizer. Can you tell me which one so I can check it out?

If you convert your pngs to standard pngs without using "pngcrush" etc. then things should work properly.

We're looking into providing a command line tool to help automate this image fixing process. More news soon.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    edited April 2014

@CodeWizard said:
    imGua
    Those image problems are being caused by our image conversion tool not understanding the images you're using. You're most likely using a png optimizer. Can you tell me which one so I can check it out?

If you convert your pngs to standard pngs without using "pngcrush" etc. then things should work properly.

We're looking into providing a command line tool to help automate this image fixing process. More news soon.

I'm not sure about all images, cause some of them are bought. But part of images saved by me in Photoshop 5 and images saved with Photoshop 5 are also messed up.

Bug is marked as CS-302.

• crazycam99crazycam99 Paris, FranceMember Posts: 519

The GS viewer (installed in the right version) does not work at all.

edited April 2014

@imGua Thanks for the info! I'm looking at your project now.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

I've always used imageoptim http://imageoptim.com/ to shrink my PNGs, in the past I've noticed them interpolating to grey when fading out, but I have not checked it recently.

@imGua‌ Some more info... one of the images is causing my sweet conversion tool to get confused. This is why you're seeing wicked awful issues in multiple images. Let me explain.

The tool uses ImageMagick to convert your images into raw pixel data. To make this processing faster, I convert all of your images to raw pixel data at once and store them in a single file one right after the other. It looks like (at least) one of the images isn't converting properly. When that happens, I'm not getting any error and I just assume that the pixel data is there and fine. When it isn't there then my program starts ripping pixels from the wrong place and all hell breaks loose.

More news soon.

@imGua‌
    Okay, we've found and fixed the issue with this. Your number images were being interpreted as 24-bit pngs. Worked around that and it's looking good again!

We also fixed a bug that was causing color interpolate problems. We forgot to mark all gsimage files as "premultiplied." The next RC has that fix in it.

Thanks for your help on this!

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    edited April 2014

Also note any images that were set as indexed color need to be set to RGB, this fixed a few of my issues.

That should also be fixed, @SingleSparq‌

• darrelfdarrelf Member Posts: 243

@CodeWizard‌ All this progress is simply brilliant. Exciting times indeed.
    Are you up to speed on a worrying memory issue for single scene games relying on image changes (ref. CS-282)? It's with QA.

I would really love your thoughts and insights on this if you have any. Is it being investigated with a view to sort for the stable release?
    Thanks

edited April 2014

@darrelf‌ In following up on that bug, can you tell me the size of those three images?

• BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374

I have a bug smash type game which spawn multiple bug actors which move around the screen. The actors stop moving after awhile.

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934

@BobD‌ your probably going to need to elaborate a little more. Maybe get your project sent in.

Cheers
    Aaron

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

I am so glad to see all this positivity. It was getting bleak around here recently.
    There has been some serious injection of something and it is working. If this is the new normal things are going to develop much faster.
    Well done to all at GS.

• BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374

GameSalad file submitted!!

@CodeWizard said:
    darrelf‌ In following up on that bug, can you tell me the size of those three images?

@CodeWizard First of all thanks for following up. I know all you guys are very very busy cranking through everyone's bug reports.

I've attached the simple test project which simply changes the main actor's image by pressing each of the 3 smaller actors. The images are 32 bit and haven't been compressed in any way.

• "Puzzle1.png" is 80 KB.
    • "Puzzle2.png" is 48 KB.
    • "Puzzle3.png" is 24 KB.

So very small. However the Real Memory Usage on an iPhone 5 was as follows:

• Initial load 17mb
    • Change image #1 25mb
    • Change image #2 32mb
    • Change image #3 39mb

Once all 3 images have been displayed once, the RAM usage is then flat at 39mb no matter which image is selected. The memory never recovers. As you can imagine, it becomes a problem when there's more code and well over 100 levels.

I'm hoping there's a bug that can be fixed as I'd like to avoid adding extra code such as reset scene or destroy and respawn (not sure if the latter would work).

Thanks
    Darrel

@BlackCloakGS‌ @CodeWizard‌

3 image issues have arisen for me from the change of publishing side image processing.
    I've submitted a detailed bug report including a link to the game in my portfolio.

For everyone else, these are the issues I've found:

Please note all 3 issues listed below are NOT present in Creator Preview – they only happen with published adhoc builds on an iPad.

• Issue 1 : PARTIAL BLACK BORDERS APPEARING ON IMAGES.

• Issue 2 : BLACK CORNERS MOMENTARILY APPEAR WHEN CHANGING ALPHA BETWEEN 0 AND 1. This is not animation, it's alpha change with a timer on repeat.

• Issue 3 : BLACK SNOW! (WHITE PARTICLES TURNING BLACK WHEN RUN ON DEVICE).

All images are 32bit, no compression.

It's so important to test, test, test on devices as Creator Preview is fine!

Thanks

edited April 2014

@BlackCloakGS‌ @CodeWizard‌

For my particle problem (black snow) - I've added details to my bug report after further testing.

In the iPad 2 screenshot below, the top left particle color is set to 99% alpha. The top right particle color is set to 100% alpha. A huge difference in what is displayed on the device (Creator Preview is fine and shows white across the board).

The expected result for the top left particle is a slightly duller shade of white (as it previously was in earlier builds) and certainly not black.

• PoisonSaintPoisonSaint Member, PRO Posts: 17

Why are you guys updating GameSalad? My current Windows work just fine other than the aspect ratio preview that works on Mac. Got my games to work on iOS and Android. Need Admob for banner ads for Android. iOS is good with iAds. Need to make money or at less feel like I have the chance to make money on Android. :) I love Android. Hopefully Chartboost works out.

I'm just curious. Why the update to version 0.11?

Actually I just tried Release Candidate 0.11.0.8 and looks like you added some cool new features. There seems to be a problem with .png image that was probably already mentioned though.

• william24william24 Member, PRO Posts: 143

New to the RCs...is the plan to adjust the pics so that Overscan is still the preferable option for Universal Apps, or should I use "stretch"? I am trying my game using the RC so I can get the fix for iAP and the images no longer "fitting" like they did before being the only issue that I see...an easy fix, but just wanted to know what is preferable there. Any suggestions?

• joshuanewton@live.co.ukjoshuanewton@live.co.uk Member, PRO Posts: 17

Hey guys, anyone know when attaching images in Tweet sheet will work again? They don't work in this RC

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

@joshuanewton@live.co.uk‌ submit a bug through our support system and we will take a look

• william24william24 Member, PRO Posts: 143

I also just noticed that the option to prevent the player from editing the tweet is also not working...I'll submit a bug report

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited April 2014

@william24‌ that is by design Twitter no longer supports that. It is their terms of service.