Release Candidate 0.11.0.8 is available!

13»

Comments

• PoisonSaintPoisonSaint Member, PRO Posts: 17

I know Chartboost still have some problem loading, but have anyone tried Revmob yet? Does it load normally or causes black screen like Chartboost?

• PoisonSaintPoisonSaint Member, PRO Posts: 17

I think the most important things right now is Banner Ads options and fix the Chartboost not loading problem.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@GS Team

This rapid progress is mind-boggling. More issues have been resolved in the past two weeks than in the past two years. It is very heartening and gives us renewed confidence in GameSalad. Cheers!

edited April 2014

@BlackCloakGS said:

william24‌ that is by design Twitter no longer supports that. It is their terms of service.

(I think you meant to reply to JoshuaNewton, not william24) Anyway...

When did Twitter change that? I have a game up now, approved on 4 April, and it posts an image with the tweet from within the app.

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

@PhilipCC that is in response to the post where you don't allow player to edit post not working any more. That part is now against Twitter's terms of service. Apple's older twitter framework no longer works. If you don't go through the code path that displays the post and allows them to edit it. Apples new share frameworks does not have away to post without allowing the user to edit the post. The part where the image won't post to twitter is a bug. Mostly do to the changes with gsimages.

@Black Cloak‌ Thanks, I get it now. I allowed the user to edit the tweet in my app, so an image of the achievement goes up with the tweet no problem. No problem unless they start bagging the app!

• squirrel42squirrel42 Member, PRO Posts: 195

FYI the interpolating alpha on standard Photoshop PNGs with transparency appearing black/grey currently only appears in the ad hoc build and is fine in viewer 11.0.8. I assume therefore that this problem is being introduced when the images are converted at build?

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@BlackCloakGS‌ I'm chasing a weird bug, it seems like if you have an attribute that is used in a rule, and you delete that rule and then go to delete the attribute it prompts you that the attribute it still in use.

if you save/close and reopen you can delete it without any notification.

I'm submitting it now.

• vafurlogivafurlogi Member, PRO Posts: 203
    edited April 2014

I'm seeing some weird, new problems. For example I've used this simple template that only uses exsisting self-atrtibutes to bounce things: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/66376/bounce-into-existence-new-v2-simple-drag-and-drop-code-to-bounce-actors-into-existence

It's worked in all previous versions that I've tried but now it stutters and acts weird. I also have bouncing actors that use 'interpolate when touched' that now won't move at all. I use integer self-attribute that increases by 1 after each interpolate to simulate bouncing motion. I've never had any problems like this, has there been some major change to how some behaviors work?

I'm also seeing some good loading times on my android ad-hoc as well. Good job!

Edit: I have one game where touch interpolates (Ease in and out) the actors size up by 20% in 0.4 sec and then down again once the size is reached. This still works perfectly in the creator but in Android ad-hoc (have not tried IOS yet) the actor won't change size anymore (only emits particles as it should). I've tried every Nightly build and RC and this is new.

• reginald.bernardinreginald.bernardin Member Posts: 346

Dumb question I haven't used these release candidates at because they said it's a work in progress. But can you actually publish these candidates? with working revmob and chartboost?are these ads actually working and are live in the app store. If anyone answers thanks for the clarification.

• rad_88rad_88 Member Posts: 1

Hey guys, I'm using the RC version of the Game Salad Creator. Once the build leaves RC, and becomes official, I want to confirm that I will be able to open my GS files in the official build, because I can see the file extension is different when saving using the RC build.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@rad_88 said:
    Hey guys, I'm using the RC version of the Game Salad Creator. Once the build leaves RC, and becomes official, I want to confirm that I will be able to open my GS files in the official build, because I can see the file extension is different when saving using the RC build.

they have said all you will have to do is rename the extension

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@darrelf said:
    BlackCloakGS‌ CodeWizard‌

3 image issues have arisen for me from the change of publishing side image processing.
    I've submitted a detailed bug report including a link to the game in my portfolio.

For everyone else, these are the issues I've found:

Please note all 3 issues listed below are NOT present in Creator Preview – they only happen with published adhoc builds on an iPad.

• Issue 1 : PARTIAL BLACK BORDERS APPEARING ON IMAGES.

• Issue 2 : BLACK CORNERS MOMENTARILY APPEAR WHEN CHANGING ALPHA BETWEEN 0 AND 1. This is not animation, it's alpha change with a timer on repeat.

• Issue 3 : BLACK SNOW! (WHITE PARTICLES TURNING BLACK WHEN RUN ON DEVICE).

All images are 32bit, no compression.

It's so important to test, test, test on devices as Creator Preview is fine!

Thanks

So, I took a look at your image files. They're all small as pngs but that's not all that useful for determining final memory use. Let me explain how this works:

Png files are compressed. When we load a png we decompress it into its raw pixel values. This is because graphics hardware can't draw compressed png data. In your case, each image is 1448x1288 pixels. Each pixel is 4 bytes (1 byte for red, 1 for green, 1 for blue, and 1 for alpha). So, each image takes 1448 * 1288 * 4 bytes. That's 7,460,096 bytes per image!

Images are only unloaded when changing scenes at this point. So, if you reference each of those images in a single scene then your memory use will be (at least) 22,380,288 bytes! And that won't reduce until you've changed scenes.

You can save memory by building your puzzles out of smaller images. This is how most games work.

The alpha issues you're noticing have been fixed in RC 0.11.9.

• darrelfdarrelf Member Posts: 243

@CodeWizard said:
    So, I took a look at your image files. They're all small as pngs but that's not all that useful for determining final memory use. Let me explain how this works:

Png files are compressed. When we load a png we decompress it into its raw pixel values. This is because graphics hardware can't draw compressed png data. In your case, each image is 1448x1288 pixels. Each pixel is 4 bytes (1 byte for red, 1 for green, 1 for blue, and 1 for alpha). So, each image takes 1448 * 1288 * 4 bytes. That's 7,460,096 bytes per image!

Images are only unloaded when changing scenes at this point. So, if you reference each of those images in a single scene then your memory use will be (at least) 22,380,288 bytes! And that won't reduce until you've changed scenes.

You can save memory by building your puzzles out of smaller images. This is how most games work.

The alpha issues you're noticing have been fixed in RC 0.11.9.

Thank you @CodeWizard
    So in this case, the fact the files are small (less than 100KB in size) is pretty much irrelevant and is mainly a consideration for the total size of the app to be shipped to customers devices.

I've found a beautiful workaround on my one scene game - in between levels, I pause for 0.2 secs and then unpause. Now my game always runs a maximum of around 100mb on the device and stops increasing. Awesome!

One question - is it a difficult change in removing the shaded box surrounding our custom loading wheels? As it now appears in between every level, I'd love to make it as discrete as possible.

Cheers for all your help on this amazing progress...

• natclarkenatclarke Brisbane, AustraliaMember, PRO Posts: 243

Awesome! Didn't realise I can't open the Rc builds that I have done in this. Is there a workaround to open them so that I don't have to start again?

Nat Clarke
    Life Cleansing

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited May 2014

@natclarke‌

yes you can,

right click your project,
    select "Get info" from the options then change the extension to .gameproj
    (from .gsrcproj)

Note that the stable 0.11.0.13 is out.