Updating Sprites on my game

Comments

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779
    edited July 2015

Album art, to accompany the music made the very talented @DV13 , his incredible work has brought an atmosphere to my game that is quite fitting. You can check out his stuff on his soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/dillonvetere?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

A boss dragon, with size comparison to regular dragon enemies.

And some updates to old graphics in the game, this look is more what I had in mind, which is reflected in the latest album art as well.

Working on the in-game store, in the game, the only iAP is gold, remove ads, and some "permanent" gems that are rechargeable instead of consumeable.

Anyway, for the shop, I'll have to vendors, a bunny and a turtle. The bunny sells gems, and the turtle sells books and "spirit orbs", which permanently increase a characters attribute, although slightly.

The items I made in different times of the year, so the art style clashes a bit, I'll need to add some gradients to the book or hand draw the gems like I did with the books instead of making them from vectors.

The books increase "Skill level". The items are "book", "manual", and "grimoire". With Grimoire being giving the most increase, but being the rarest and most expensive when available in the shop.

I'm still deciding the vendors color schemes, so for now, their just lineart.

I've got several ideas with how to sell the gems. They too come in 3 levels of effectiveness. I've got a really interesting way to sell them, involving "packs".

edited August 2015

Added a pure melee dragon enemy:

The graphics for the three levels of Jewels possible: Gem, Fragment, and Shard. Each level gives a boost of varying degrees, with shard being the least, and Gem being the most.

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826
    edited August 2015

Fantastic work! Very nice art. All the best with the game ... :wink:

@neoman Thanks so much. Trying my best to juggle art and logic handling.

Right now, I'm making floating platforms for each level, themed to it's enviroment.

I'm using spriter as well to test out some boss animations. I'll most likely use constrains and have each part an individual actor instead of it being an entire actor. Each has its pros and cons though.

• hzappshzapps Member, PRO Posts: 173

@Franto said:
    I've been in the process of updating the graphics of my game for the past few weeks. My latest work, the remake of the basic enemies, I feel that it's satisfactory, what do you think?

http://s20.postimg.org/arsmsxyml/BB_regraph.jpg

I've already uploaded the new graphcis to the test version of the game.
    http://franco.netau.net/BurstBladeHDdemo.htm

The player character graphics are mostly done. Just got to give the same polish to the remaining enemies. I plan to start working on the level graphics after that.

Very Well done.

edited August 2015

@theazlowes Thank you! That type is the backbone of the dragon troops. And the gargoyle being long range support.

Some more art, improved the art for the book items to better match the gems:

Finished the platforms for the desert level:

EDIT: An ice block platform for the tundra level.

The shop vendors in color, just gotta make the shop itself now.

edited August 2015

In-game screens explaining how to play. Seen while you move through out a level and popping up at particular points.

Tech switching will be explained in the shop.

EDIT: They are out of order, their number identifies their true order.

edited August 2015

I'm remaking the title again, since the last version was made in a hurry, straight to vector.
    This time I'm drawing it out before making it a vector or illustrating it.

Initial sketch.

After some progress. The grey area is a guide.

The shop with the vendors in it, buttons would be overlayed as seperate actors.

Here is the title after much progress:

Redoing it:

edited August 2015

EDIT: Forgot this version of the title:

I think these two are what I might use (the second being put against a white and black background to see how well it does with different bgs.)

Some alternate color schemes while being plain and smooth.

How the title would look in-game:

• chrisrarwchrisrarw Member Posts: 14

i really dig that ice!

edited September 2015

@chrisrarw Thanks, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to make. Although it would have been impossible to make 5 years ago. I'm surprised at the art I can do now that I couldn't before.

Anyway, some test vids showing the ice level, zoom feature, and other stuff. The whiteboxes and numbers that appear are for "debug" purposes from testing tables as damage calculators. Footage is from html5 preview{no sound}.

Part of the background missing on zoom out was due to not anticipating that I would figure out how to zoom out during runtime. I had an old, primitive system where zoom in led to different levels set up for it, now all levels can be zoomed in and out, which means I have to design levels to accommodate the zooms.

@Franto
    man that gameplay looks sick! Exciting to watch, I love the background and the layout you should be super proud :D

@chrisrarw Thanks, here is a vid from a different level, but a slightly older version of the game.

A vid of the early stages of when I was trying to zoom out to work with non-zoom out levels, but before I managed to make the button that could change it during runtime.

The res on the last vids is lower as I was testing how the game would look in case I had to lower the resolution for performance and load times.

@Franto
    right on. I changed my game idea to something Much simpler and im more excited cuz its more possible for me xP I think its a good idea, too n___n so ill probably be asking derpy questions on here that I cant find already on the internet...
    this looks a ton like the game id wanna make :-) I love the background movement

edited September 2015

@chrisrarw Awesome, good luck with making a platformer. I remember when I got started, I was kind of lost with trying to figure out what resolution to go with. Here is a vid from when the game was in it's early stages(I was using GS arcade to test I think, since the recording caught genesis game ost I was listening to while I worked on the game):

edited September 2015

...For a long time, I was unaware that the sat of my screen was at -62, thus on the left is what I saw, but on the right was the reality, lol. But the right version is kind of neat.

Nah, just messing, I was aware, just that right after painting that, I did check at normal saturation and saw it was bright, but left it as is, since it stood out. Although, I still gotta fix the ice level stuff. {I keep saturation down intentionally to lower the glare of the screen and allow for longer periods of work time. Only upping sat to check the final result and adjusting accordingly.

edited September 2015

Today, just finished implementing the graphics of the items, descriptions, and label. All that is left is to set price, amount per item, and so on{I'm thinking of setting the limit to x999 per item in inventory.} As well as setting the effects of each item. Making the item graphics was way faster than actually making their function in game.

I made it so items randomly appear everytime you visit. The vendors will say random things regarding the world of the game like about the dragons or the planet and stuff. {The lots of empty space above them is for the word bubbles that pop up randomly, lol.}

Here is a vid of the menus and shop so far. The sound icon is the old dragon icon, since I thought it be boring to use the "standard" sound on/off icon, lol. In the shop you can see how items randomize when you leave the shop and re-enter. Although the way I plan to implement it is once you've bought items, they won't spawn again until you play another mission, win or lose. Once you exit, the shop will stock up again.

Here are some examples of gems, my fav item, that gives your character a temporary boost during gameplay. {I need to darken the background some more during purchases.
    http://i.imgur.com/F2mF2rE.jpg

Shards are affordable, Fragments become affordable once your doing early-mid game missions, and stuff like Gems and the Dusk/Dawn/All series are expensive, but easily bought once you succeed in the more advanced missions. High level Gems are very potent in power.Dusk/Dawn is all about huge trade offs while the ALL series increases both stats. Something like "Red Shard" is a standard item to take to make destroying dragons easier.

I'm still weighing between them only consuming their own energy once activated for their related stats. {Red would only drain itself when you actually hit enemies. Blue drains itself when your being hit by attacks, and ALL drains itself doing either things.}

This new tablet is exponentially superior to the old one I was using{which was 2004 tech..}, I should have upgraded sooner. These are just quick "sketches", on the old tablet, it would have taken 2 hours for each, but with this tablet, just a few minutes over 30. If I spent 2 hours on them with this new tablet, the results would be phenomenal I bet. O _0

Some gameplay vids of Phreit Nor:

This new tablet allows me to express design from my mind more clearly, the old tablet would have muddle this design.

A villain/anti-hero, playable in the next game:

edited October 2015

Finished coloring and shading some of the characters for Rayburst 2:

Named characters are Teradius{Gryphon?/Legendary bird thing}, Baratus{European Ogre}, Yukiko{Asian Ice Monster}, and Tortee{Water Imp/Kappa}.

The badger from earlier is the rival to the cheetah guy.

edited October 2015

The new info page, which shows the control scheme and credits, I haven't finished either, I might make a final change in case the new buttons have to be switched around. For PC, I would have to add an extra screen covering keyboard controls, which right now might ASWD for movement, and YUIO for face buttons, and HJKL for triggers. Right now it's BNMK for face buttons, and theres only HJ for triggers, with ZX mapped to start and select, but I heard select is now used for back buttons, so I decided to use the back triggers L2 and R2, resulting in the new control scheme.

edited November 2015

Here is how the inventory screen and GUI look like now. The icon where the star like shape is at is unique to Grafto, while the arrow is used by the others, allowing them to aim in multi-directions aside from 0.

http://s20.postimg.org/r7xu9f8ul/RB00000.png

http://s20.postimg.org/vv3wb6w7h/RB00002.png

http://s20.postimg.org/xo6szihe5/RB00004.png

I also mapped the keyboard to prepare for desktop release. WASD was already in use for directions, but the other buttons I switched to standard PC fare, which is HJKL and UIOP.

Due to the revamp of how things work in-game, I'm actually able to run even the html5 version on my phone, where before, it would lag to the point where the character wasn't moving.