Introducing Graphene SDK...

Comments

• RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Member Posts: 659
    edited April 2015

@Hymloe I agree, our current game will be releasing this summer, and we will probably jump into our next around then or in September. Hopefully if the open-beta is out by then, I will be able to make an educated decision. Of course if I have no more info than I do now it would be foolish to wait. Would hate though to put a lot of work into the project elsewhere and have graphene come out right after. Just making a point that there is some legitimacy to people asking when they can expect to get their hands on graphene, because while we could be told a three months, if I don't know anything I have to assume it could be much longer and end up moving on and start learning something else.

I just make this point because graphene looks like something I would love to use, but with the timing of where I am at it might not work out. No worries, the Graphene team can do what they want in giving release info, hopefully it will work out for me.

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited April 2015

@Lovejoy said:
    Perhaps it was because they want people who would actually test the product, and not start exploiting it early on for their own benefit. Seems like GS staff made a smart move.

Sounds about right coming from you but yeah if we made a new engine we certainly wouldn't want a couple of top developers with 5 top 20 hits and 200 quality templates and tools to showcase what it can do as that would surely decrease sales and do more harm than good.

For those that don't know us we helped the team back in 2012 when they were attending various shows seeking funding by making them an Angry Birds Clone because every show they attended all people wanted to know is…can it make Angry Birds so they contacted us to make it for them along with 3 others to demo at the shows and soon after they got the funding they needed.

We also spoke to several venture capitalists via Skype at the request of the VC's and we encouraged them to invest in GS so like to think we played a small part in getting them the funding they needed to be where they are today but i guess people have short memories :) @Lovejoy

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

@RossmanBrothersGames said:
    Just making a point that there is some legitimacy to people asking when they can expect to get their hands on graphene, because while we could be told a three months, if I don't know anything I have to assume it could be much longer and end up moving on and start learning something else.

Totally! What you say makes total sense. :) All the best with your game!

I'd be keen to see some more gameplay of the Angry Birds game. That level was kind of over as soon as it started. Do you have any more videos of the gameplay in action?

I'm partly curious whether the GS physics system, etc, can actually support good gameplay in an Angry Birds manner, or whether it all just teeters and falls over, or jiggles, etc. :)

Did you have any bigger levels for the demo, with strategic gameplay in evidence?

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826

Darren you and Wayne are expert users not regular ones with advanced skills that is why you were not selected ... You and Wayne are at a level where you can make your own Graphene ... :wink:

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@DeepBlueApps I am not doubting your skill or expertise. What i doubt is that yourself and your team would test Graphene like the GS staff would want it to, surely your interests have changed over the years and the whole purpose for getting into Graphene beta would be for selfish interest and nothing more.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• safransafran Member Posts: 32

Based on the information they provide, you can only become a priority beta tester, after spamming in facebook or twitter.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@DeepBlueApps I'm not close to the politics of GS and prefer to remain ignorant in such matters. I have little knowledge of the players behind the curtain. what I do know is all business, no matter the type, is a shark tank. My father once advised me, "never make a deal with the devil, unless you're sure you can screw him first."

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    edited April 2015

I could do a little politics here....as I see it...maybe @DeepBlueApps "exploited" GS for their purposes a bit...oh wait those tools are free aren't they oh well...but thankfully so because I don't see any extra tools that have proven so valuable from GS other than the creator itself :-) If it weren't for templates I wouldn't have learned very much and probably quit using GS pretty quick. My slots game...was based on a free template...from @DeepBlueApps and it allowed me to see how some very good functions work I wouldn't have known otherwise without spamming the forums with questions. THEY are/was and remain an huge asset to GS.

It looks though unfortunately they have pretty much walked away from GS...I would really liked to have seen them as potential script providers for Graphene.

I say feed they shark and them dorsel fins will relax.

"Drops Mic"

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Let's keep it cool guys - I for one don't want this thread to be closed!

@Braydon_SFX I agree...I don't want this thread closed either. No one knows who is and isn't Aplha testers...and why and its progress. I can see Darren is a bit hurt not having been chosen to test...for whatever reason I believe he and Wayne would have been a good choice.

What this thread needs is more information...

:smile:

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@Lovejoy said:
    DeepBlueApps [...] the whole purpose for getting into Graphene beta would be for selfish interest and nothing more.

That's ultimate bollocks. The best way to really test an engine is to start an actual project, which will better reveal real use-case problems. Just the fact that you are getting sort of a leg up is simply what you get for providing needed feedback.

• Bad wolf GuyBad wolf Guy Member Posts: 206

I can understand the frustration too.

For those who don't know, I wasn't selected either to be part of the testing team. I didn't apply and nor was I contacted exclusively. Which does disappoint me if I am being honest. Because GameSalad might not remember, but I am user of a few years, and without me, they could never claim that GameSalad has over 750 000 developers (located on homepage). I am one of those developers but it seems they have forgotten...

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

The only people who know why certain alpha testers were or were not chosen are the GameSalad Staff. If you have a question about that process, please contact them directly via Support or private message.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

I'm always fascinated when folks jump to conspiracy conclusions about who's been invited and why during these closed testing periods. There's no conspiracy to exclude anyone -- nor is the reasoning for our picks shrouded in an opaque cloud of mystery.

I personally picked the batch of folks that are in the test group based on initial test needs. We've covered a range of skills in our initial picks. We also have some external professional game devs involved in the testing to help suss out more technically challenging test needs.

We'll be opening up to another batch of folks soon. Can't wait to get the next round of users and feedback going.

I considered including DeepBlueApps in the initial test group but decided against it based on some friction between him and the staff. I have no doubt that he'd be a great technical contributor to the test group. But when I see friction between DeepBlueApps and the staff I don't feel it's in our best interests to include him in the test group.

Then I come here reading backhanded comments and thinly veiled passive aggressive statements about GS by DeepBlueApps. That leads me to believe I've made the right choice by excluding him from our test group for now.

Don't worry, it'll be opened up soon enough... and you'll all be able to get in and get your Graphene on!

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited April 2015

I find it funny that people are so worried about alpha testing the product... It's still so early, and i'm sure more phases of testing will be had.

In the mean time, if you're keen on using/Learning LUA, and want a break from GS, there are plenty of other engines to explore.

Edit: Looks like @CodeWizard cleared things up nicely as I was posting, indeed more phases of testing to come.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Member Posts: 659

@CodeWizard said:

Don't worry, it'll be opened up soon enough... and you'll all be able to get in and get your Graphene on!

Awesome! Keep up the good work @CodeWizard really have some great/exciting expectations where I can go with graphene!

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

Best of luck moving forward I might give it a whirl when it becomes public.

@CodeWizard said:
    Then I come here reading backhanded comments and thinly veiled passive aggressive statements about GS by DeepBlueApps. That leads me to believe I've made the right choice by excluding him from our test group for now.

Mic drop.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    ... My father once advised me, "never make a deal with the devil, unless you're sure you can screw him first."

Your father was a wise man, I like it! >:)

• motorcycle boymotorcycle boy Member Posts: 429
    edited April 2015

:#

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

why is there a huge discussion on who can test the alpha and who can not xD? Sure I would love to test it out and see what it can do, but when gamesalad thinks its not the right time then I guess its not our time to test it yet. If the whole community can test it now, there will be to many people asking questions that aren't related to actual testing... I'm sure we will get our hands on it soon:)!

• safransafran Member Posts: 32

This is only a matter of enthusiasm, or to be one step ahead in business. It is fine, but for me, my enthusiasm has gone after it was called 'manipulation'. Only for a few screenshots for God's sake. I'll focus my enthusiasm to the next ludrum dare instead.

edited April 2015

@PhilipCC said:
    Your father was a wise man, I like it! >:)

Yes he is. He made his millions as a guy who started with nothing.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    Yes he is. He made his millions as a guy who started with nothing.

Millions? Ohhh. I may need to meet this man. ;)

• MarcMySaladMarcMySalad Member Posts: 158

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Millions? ...

You can buy the monopoly game at many stores ;)

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Theres plenty of people who made millions from having almost nothing, its called lottery winners. It does not necessarily make them wise.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• RabidParrotRabidParrot Formally RabidParrot. Member Posts: 956

With time and dedication anything is possible. But I feel that we are straying from the thread topic.

I made over a million pennies in a month once.

I worked almost 370hrs to do it though :-(

@Lovejoy said:
    Theres plenty of people who made millions from having almost nothing, its called lottery winners. It does not necessarily make them wise.

That is true. Most of them end up dead or broke. Money doesn't make one happy that's for sure. Good friends, a good spouse and a quiet life makes for a wealthy life.