Introducing Graphene SDK...

Comments

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410

@pHghost said:
    That's ultimate bollocks. The best way to really test an engine is to start an actual project, which will better reveal real use-case problems. Just the fact that you are getting sort of a leg up is simply what you get for providing needed feedback.

For me this is the best way to evaluate a product, definitely. But testing needs additional processes.

Testing involves creative ways to break the build.

If the GS Devs build castle Graphene then it is the testers job to try to knock it down. I've seen good testers making life miserable for programmers in, semi, light-hearted battles. Ultimately the programmer should win, but all software ships with bugs.

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    edited April 2015

Heck just let my 2 year old have a go at it. I swear he finds more bugs in my games by accident by just running his hand all over the screen than I can. Lol

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Thunder_Child said:
    Heck just let my 2 year old have a go at it. I swear he finds more bugs in my games by accident by just running his hand all over the screen than I can. Lol

Two year olds naturally have psychic powers and uncanny perception. See if GS will hire him to help out. :)

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@Valan said:
    If the GS Devs build castle Graphene then it is the testers job to try to knock it down. I've seen good testers making life miserable for programmers in, semi, light-hearted battles. Ultimately the programmer should win, but all software ships with bugs.

All hail Castle Graphene!

• SummationSummation Member, PRO Posts: 476

@CodeWizard said:

Throws this in CodeWizard's general direction, then runs away

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Summation said:

I just got done watching the whole video...

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@Summation said:

Finally some music I can code to! REPEAT!

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

Watched it twice :)

@CodeWizard said:
    Finally some music I can code to! REPEAT!

Outstanding! :D

@Lovejoy said:
    I just got done watching the whole video...

I'm up to 5 minutes in... does it get any better, or just repeat and repeat?

@CodeWizard said:
    Finally some music I can code to!

You'll get stuck in an endless loop.

I'm 10 minutes into it now. Same old same. :#

If this was an app... it would be deleted by now. :D

So any ideas on cost guys? Wondering if it will be something like $499 a year?

@DeepBlueApps said:
    So any ideas on cost guys? Wondering if it will be something like $499 a year?

How about when it comes out, the first year subscription is free to current PRO members (if you are PRO by a certain date)?

Could be an effective promotion.

• sulexk@gmail.comsulexk@gmail.com Member, PRO Posts: 21

Is Graphene based on a 3d engine?

I still have suspicious feelings that the creator will not even be needed after the release of Graphene. If they release a product that will do the exact same thing...why would they continue putting resources into an older product.

My spidey senses say there will be a promo of some sort...probably Amazon...free pro version for three months.

Will still be a free version. Maybe will not allow scripts (3rd party) without pro. The whole ads thing as well like now.

Of course we all just speculating. Fun to do so.

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

@Summation, that would be enticing to existing users. Let's hope the team considers this.

• scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaMember, PRO Posts: 694

@sulexk@gmail.com said:

It could be a.3d engine with a good plugin.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@Thunder_Child said:
    I still have suspicious feelings that the creator will not even be needed after the release of Graphene. If they release a product that will do the exact same thing...why would they continue putting resources into an older product.

My spidey senses say there will be a promo of some sort...probably Amazon...free pro version for three months.

Will still be a free version. Maybe will not allow scripts (3rd party) without pro. The whole ads thing as well like now.

Of course we all just speculating. Fun to do so.

They are keeping creator. Main reason is so people can update games. I don't think you'll see creator phased out for quite sometime.

• francis.charland@videotron.cafrancis.charland@videotron.ca 3D Artist/Generalist Quebec, CanadaMember, PRO Posts: 48

GS Creator has a big user community and a lot of tutorials and templates available. It would be strategically a nonsense (business wise) to stop supporting this product even if it's potential is limited to a more narrowed audience.
    Graphene will surely be a more effective, attractive and up to date piece of software that will allow the developers and the community to code add-on that will open a lot of possibilities to stay competitive within the gaming standards.
    The GameSalad team is filled with very professional person with a lot of experience that will deliver a top of the line product (no doubt about that) if business wise the company as the backbone to sustain it long enough to get it's place in the main 2d engine used out there.
    Great work GS Team. We'll be ready for Graphene :-P

I saw this icon in a Gamesalad tutorial.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

That´s a pretty awesome icon!

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

@sulexk@gmail.com said:

No. It was explained a couple of Meetups ago that it will be a 2.5d engine. It may have been January or February. Listen to the replays. But I'm still not sure exactly what 2.5d that means.

edited April 2015

@Summation said:
    How about when it comes out, the first year subscription is free to current PRO members (if you are PRO by a certain date)?
    Could be an effective promotion.

Good idea, seeing that I just renewed! :D

@PhilipCC said:
    No. It was explained a couple of Meetups ago that it will be a 2.5d engine. It may have been January or February. Listen to the replays. But I'm still not sure exactly what 2.5d that means.

Gamesalad said in the latest meetup that 3d would come later with a plugin.

2.5D Oh Boy! I recommend
    2:30 it makes fun of sonic while explaining 2.5D

@PhilipCC said:

I always think of 2.5 to be like the old Command and Conquer games..or like Blizzards games...except with Graphene I wonder/doubt you can rotate your view. You may still be using models. (I hope).

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@Thunder_Child said:
    I always think of 2.5 to be like the old Command and Conquer games..or like Blizzards games...except with Graphene I wonder/doubt you can rotate your view. You may still be using models. (I hope).

Also see the recently released Pillars of Eternity. 2.5d basically is when objects in the game move on a 2d plane (so your objects still only have x and y coordinates), but due to perspective tricks it appears they're moving in 3d.

The first game ill be making with Graphene hands down.

edited April 2015

@Lovejoy said:
    The first game ill be making with Graphene hands down.

Have you actually made any games? please post me some links so i can have a look if so because i know I'm getting old and my memory is going but i can't ever remember seeing anything from you.

@DeepBlueApps said:
    Have you actually made any games? please post me some links so i can have a look if
    so because i know I'm getting old and my memory is going but i can't ever remember
    seeing anything from you.

When i have something i will personally PM you the link my friend. A promo code if its paid.

Thanks look forward to your 1st game :)

• safransafran Member Posts: 32

I just realized that even the simplest of games can benefit to 2.5d.
    In this game of mine, the ships are not properly aligned. I'm still looking some ways to fix this.