Introducing Graphene SDK...

Comments

• safransafran Member Posts: 32

@lycettebros said:
    Graphene will do everything for everyone...

FireTV, Ouya, Pebble, Playstation, Xbox, AppleTV, AppleWatch, Android, iOS, CarPlay, Tizen, OSX, Windows, FireFox OS, Windows Phone, Blackberry and maybe even WebOS.

After repetitive failure in android publishing, and seeing how low the rating of games developed using gamesalad in Google Playstore, I find this unsettling and not funny.

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

@lycettebros said:

FireTV, Ouya, Pebble, Playstation, Xbox, AppleTV, AppleWatch, Android, iOS, CarPlay, Tizen, OSX, Windows, FireFox OS, Windows Phone, Blackberry and maybe even WebOS.

Print Money?

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    edited February 2015

@safran

... seeing how low the rating of games developed using gamesalad in Google Playstore...

You can't blame the tool for a poor game, a low rated game is the fault of the developer of the game.

• DeadlySeriousMediaDeadlySeriousMedia ArizonaMember Posts: 838

We've gotten good rating on Google Play. Our most common cause for low ratings is lack of Google Play services. After that it's poor performance on older devices. It's hard to limit devices on the Play store to minimize the impact though.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@lycettebros said:

That's it? Where is the TI Calculator and Cisco IOS support.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

Having a sense of humor will make your time here @safran a lot less painful :)

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@jigglybean said:
    I tried a new piece of kit which has the name box and build in its title.

I've been following the Internet marketer behind it with interest for a couple of years now. What amused me, when I read the comments in forum about a month after launch, was the number of complaints and gripes from users... and we think this lot are moaners! Curiously that section of the site is gone now. :D

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 523

Hey @CodeWizard you can share any more info about graphene? :)

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

@AlchimiaStudios said:

That's it? Where is the TI Calculator and Cisco IOS support.

Feel free to add to the list.

• TheFrogeekTheFrogeek Member Posts: 97

Yeah! More infos! More infos! Make us dream, we need some infos and some screenshots to help us to wait Graphene's release!

• joshiwujoshiwu Member Posts: 207

perfectionist have a habbit of starting over from scratch. its tragic, but understandable.

• motorcycle boymotorcycle boy Member Posts: 429

@joshiwu said:
    perfectionist have a habbit of starting over from scratch. its tragic, but understandable.

Speaking of starting over from scratch, prior to learning about GS I had paid a "developer" $1700 to make a ninjump type game. Currently I'm building from scratch due to his horrific job. It was my first app, my baby. I can't have my baby looking so ugly so time for a makeover.

• joshiwujoshiwu Member Posts: 207

@dreichelt said:
    Speaking of starting over from scratch, prior to learning about GS I had paid a "developer" $1700 to make a ninjump type game. Currently I'm building from scratch due to his horrific job. It was my first app, my baby. I can't have my baby looking so ugly so time for a makeover.

pM me. I make great 2D animations.

• safransafran Member Posts: 32

@jamie_c said:
    safran
    You can't blame the tool for a poor game, a low rated game is the fault of the developer of the game.

Mostly due to compatibility issues. Not only with older devices, but also with newer devices, and less common brand. Out of 9 games I made, only 3 worked on android, all worked fine on IOS devices.

@lycettebros said:
    Having a sense of humor will make your time here safran a lot less painful :)

Errr, thanks.

Should I consider this a joke too?

"I have a game idea - how do I make it?

GameSalad Makes It Easy

Create games for iOS, Android, & HTML5. Drag & drop, no coding required. With over 750,000 developers and 50,000 games published, GameSalad Creator is the fastest and easiest way to create, publish and monetize your mobile games."

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

Ok. Can we get a reading on Graphene Progress? Or maybe a "Status of Graphene SDK" forum topic going. Get a Bi monthly account of its progress. A "What we have accomplished in the last 2 weeks" kind of progress report?

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@FINNBOGG said:
    Ok. Can we get a reading on Graphene Progress? Or maybe a "Status of Graphene SDK" forum topic going. Get a Bi monthly account of its progress. A "What we have accomplished in the last 2 weeks" kind of progress report?

We get an update on graphene every week in the state of gamesalad post.

Hello again all you GameSalad fans! I’ve gathered some info to share with you guys, enjoy!

Graphene SDK (previously known as “Cross platform Creator”). More info will be shared with this topic from CodeWizard periodically. For even more info or to sign up for beta access, refer to this thread: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/75011/introducing-graphene-sdk/

:trollface:

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited March 2015

@safran said:
    "Should I consider this a joke too?"

No. It's all true, I think... but anyway it is funny.

Do the math. 750,000 developers and 50,000 games published! That means at least 700,000 developers have never publish anything!

Marketers and politicians stretch the truth a bit. Don't you watch TV? ;)

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826

Exciting stuff happening ... The Mexican beer just went free ... And I hear Unreal recently went free too ... Some good news for indie developers ... Can't wait to see how Graphene shapes up ...

@lovejoy. That is the same thing over and over. That comes nothing close to what I'm talking about. You maybe satisfied with a broken record. But I would like to hear of actual progress.

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610
    edited March 2015

@FINNBOGG said:
    @lovejoy. That is the same thing over and over. That comes nothing close to what I'm talking about. You maybe satisfied with a broken record. But I would like to hear of actual progress.

I think he might have been having a go at them :)

edited March 2015

I would simply like to keep a positive mind toward this new sdk. The only way that will happen is if they keep positive and progressive info coming our way. Not stale repurposed quotes.

• kermit4karatekermit4karate Member Posts: 11

I've been using and casually following Gamesalad for the past year or two. I was a pro member for one of those years and expect to be one again soon. My wife and I are self-employed and have been planning to release a couple of apps for the business this year, one of them easily possible with Gamesalad, but the other will require access to device cameras, which I know isn't possible now with Gamesalad itself, so I've been wondering if Graphene would be a fit.

Buuuut, I can't seem to get any kind of concrete info about Graphene to make a business decision on whether to wait for it, or move on to something else like Corona SDK.

I'm a little disappointed that I was unable to contact Gamesalad by phone to ask a few quick questions. I called the number I found online for the corporate offices, xxx-xxx-8893, but was told by the person who answered the phone that they couldn't transfer me to anyone in the company itself, which I thought was quite bizarre. She was clearly playing interference, but I don't see why the company can't answer quick phone questions from the public. Busy or not, most companies still take phone calls.

I think my questions are pretty innocuous. I'm just wondering from a business standpoint if Graphene will be the right solution for me, and if the timeframes for its release will work out for us. Specifically, I'm wondering if…

• LUA will definitely be the scripting language for the SDK? Knowing this ahead of its release would be helpful.
    • Will Graphene facilitate access to device cameras and the camera roll (photos) for iOS and Android devices? This is extremely important to me.
    • Will Graphene still incorporate a drag 'n' drop interface for development?
    • Will it still support cross-platform development from a single code base?
    • How will it compare to Corona SDK?
    • When is it expected to be widely available outside of the beta program?

It would be great to get answers to these questions, and if some of these are unknowns, it would still be helpful to get best guesses or estimates from an actual representative of the company.

Kind regards,
    Chad

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@kermit4karate, I think we'd all like more detailed info on Graphene but since it's still in development I'm sure Gamesalad is hesitant to release too many details yet as things could change during the development process.

If it were me waiting to make a business decision, I wouldn't wait since the product literally does not exist yet (for end users anyway). You have no way of knowing if you'll be waiting for 2 months or a year.

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

@kermit4karate said:

• LUA will definitely be the scripting language for the SDK? Knowing this ahead of its release would be helpful.
    • Will Graphene facilitate access to device cameras and the camera roll (photos) for iOS and Android devices? This is extremely important to me.
    • Will Graphene still incorporate a drag 'n' drop interface for development?
    • Will it still support cross-platform development from a single code base?
    • How will it compare to Corona SDK?
    • When is it expected to be widely available outside of the beta program?

It would be great to get answers to these questions, and if some of these are unknowns, it would still be helpful to get best guesses or estimates from an actual representative of the company.

Kind regards,
    Chad

I understand the current creator has been beta since its "release"...there are jokes about that in those forums. Most will not expect it or Graphene to be a full "non beta" product...if ever. There is a tendency to have issues with even the "stable" releases.

@jamie_c said:
    kermit4karate, I think we'd all like more detailed info on Graphene but since it's still in development I'm sure Gamesalad is hesitant to release too many details yet as things could change during the development process.

If it were me waiting to make a business decision, I wouldn't wait since the product literally does not exist yet (for end users anyway). You have no way of knowing if you'll be waiting for 2 months or a year.

Hi @jamie_c,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I definitely see the rationale behind the company not wanting to make definitive statements, but the product is obviously highly anticipated by Gamesalad users. It's expected/hoped to address some pretty widely held wish list items currently lacking in Gamesalad and unlikely to be delivered soon, so I'm not holding out hope for definitive statements, like, "Graphene will be released during 1st quarter 2016," but ballpark estimates and further details, like the anticipated release year (?), number of people in the company current assigned to the project, etc. -- even that kind of insight would greatly help long-term planning.

I gather that there are internal business reasons why they aren't releasing too much info yet, some having to do with management not wanting to steal/slow sales of Gamesalad Pro along the way, but still, there are ways to handle things like this. Companies do it all the time, and so I just hope that Gamesalad does release a little more detailed info about Graphene. Going through the forum it appears to be something that a great many members would like to see them do.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@kermit4karate most of the questions you asked have been answered by the gs staff in this post. I know this thread is 17 pages, but if you backtrack some pages and look for post by the gs staff, you will find some of the answers your looking for.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• Ed_PerkinEd_Perkin Midlands,UKMember Posts: 346

Not good form , there still isn't any information on the graphene sdks site apart from 2 pictures that have been there since the start , could someone please update it with all the information in these 17 pages and a few more pictures.

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990

I'm not to sure what's with this entitled approach I'm seeing here in this thread. GS owes you absolutely ZERO information on this project (and you should not expect it at this stage either).

Be patient wait for the final release candidate announcement (for support requirements etc.), THEN you can start the feedback process (grudges, praise etc).

@RP said:
    I'm not to sure what's with this entitled approach I'm seeing here in this thread. GS owes you absolutely ZERO information on this project (and you should not expect it at this stage either).

Be patient wait for the final release candidate announcement (for support requirements etc.), THEN you can start the feedback process (grudges, praise etc).

Entitlement doesn't really enter into the picture when it's a business decision. It's more about fact finding and due diligence. Do I do business with Company A, or do I do business with Company B? Which company offers the services I need? That kind of thing. No one's entitled to answers, or anything for that matter.

• Ed_PerkinEd_Perkin Midlands,UKMember Posts: 346

@RP aha sorry . However the most important task of a company should be the satisfaction of customers .