Mac Stable Release 0.13.29

Comments

• pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,212

AdMob Banners on Android not working... i've try it on my android tablet.. could you please reply me about AdMob Banners on Android? @BlackCloakGS

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited July 2015

@pinkio75 that would suck since the only reason i would assume most people need them is for android. I got no android device but I know from iAds that banners sometimes need a while to be approved and appear.

The Adhoc placeholder could be hopefully a separate issue.
    I mean game salad would not release such a feature if it doesn't work at all I guess they have a QA apartment or at-least some professional testers.

I'll report back if admob creates impressions tomorrow.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@GeorgeGS said:
    100 is larger than 99. Maybe we can make that happen! ;)

Yes, that would be very helpful. Back in the old days, 99 was huge, but with retina displays, especially if you want to render the text as sharp as possible, it's too low a limit. Of course, native rendering of fonts and custom fonts...cough, cough... would give the cleanest results, but removing this limit might alleviate the frustration of many. I use the same method of editing the XML that @Socks mentions, but it is a workaround, not a solution and many (especially new users) will have no idea it can be done.

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703
    edited July 2015

@CodeWizard Thank you gamesalad, brilliant update! Will the new image filter option (nearest-neighbor interpolation) come along with the new render engine, or before that? I'm really looking forward to experiment with that:)!

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

Wow. This looks like an interesting update!

• Tiny_IdeasTiny_Ideas Member Posts: 326

Placing actors has always caused hours of extra work a day. Thank you very Much, plus the the new ads. I support the subscriptions and hope all goes good for the future. Keep up the good work.

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

Guruji can u make some simple video explanation on A-star Pathfinding with simple example and where can we use . @The_Gamesalad_Guru

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

@NimbleBug said:
    Guruji can u make some simple video explanation on A-star Pathfinding with simple example and where can we use . The_Gamesalad_Guru

Did you see the video on the first page of this thread?

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/547021/#Comment_547021

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

This get's my goat often on the forums. people ask a forum question I do a quick forum search bang I find it, I say I have a video on that, reply what is the link and I have a link in my signature but they want the direct link. I could go on and on. I'm not your wife and I'm not your mother. Show some effort please, even just a little.

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    I say I have a video on that, reply what is the link and I have a link in my signature but they want the direct link. I could go on and on.

So what I have to move the mouse and click on your link in your signature myself? Arh man... can't you do that?! Why you're at it can you watch the tutorial for me too?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@BlackCloakGS @stevej @GeorgeGS

With an actor's initial position now being rounded to the nearest whole number (for me the best thing to happen to GameSalad in years !! This is simply brilliant !! :smile: Hours of work just disappeared forever ), and with Shift + arrow keys moving the actor by 10 pixels we are moving dangerously close to a kind pseudo-snap-to-grid system . . . is it at all possible that other modifier keys could be thrown in at some stage, for example:

Arrow keys moves our actor by 1 pixel.
    Arrow keys + Shift moves our actor by 10 pixels.
    Arrow keys + Cmd moves our actor by 100 pixels.
    Arrow Keys + Shift + Cmd moves our actor by its own dimensions.

An example of this last one: You have a 220 x 160 pixel actor - you hold down Shift and Command and hit the arrow keys, up will move the actor up by 220 pixels, right will move the actor right by 160 pixels.

Anyhow, without over complicating the idea, is it possible to put other nudge values onto other modifier keys besides Shift = x10 ?

@Socks said:
    An example of this last one: You have a 220 x 160 pixel actor - you hold down Shift and Command and hit the arrow keys, up will move the actor up by 220 pixels, right will move the actor right by 160 pixels.

Throw in a shortcut to duplicate the actor on the scene and you've sorted the whole tiling problem too.

@KevinCross said:
    Throw in a shortcut to duplicate the actor on the scene and you've sorted the whole tiling problem too.

+1!

Yeah, that would be fantastic, but I guess GameSalad are somewhat constrained by the code they have to work with, so that might be an enormous amount of work - I was surprised at how much work was needed to change the default text colour, in my non-code brain I'd imagine you'd only need to change the RGBA values, but I've never even looked at real code let alone had to modify it, so it's just shows me how complex this stuff really is.

But . . . . if any of this was within reach, then like you suggest a shortcut to duplicate the actor and move it at the same time would be massive !

@Socks said:
    I was surprised at how much work was needed to change the default text colour, in my non-code brain I'd imagine you'd only need to change the RGBA values, but I've never even looked at real code let alone had to modify it, so it's just shows me how complex this stuff really is.

To be fair it shouldn't be that complicated but I guess the code can get in quite a mess when dozens of developers edit it over the years, and they all come and go.

I've never really liked looking at other peoples code. Not even in GameSalad templates.

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@Socks said:
    I was surprised at how much work was needed to change the default text colour, in my non-code brain I'd imagine you'd only need to change the RGBA values, but I've never even looked at real code let alone had to modify it, so it's just shows me how complex this stuff really is.

That is really all we had to do, but Windows and Mac store the default in different places and finding where was the time consuming part. Add in the time to compile, test, document, check in to source control, etc. and time really flies. If we had to do it again now it would be pretty quick, but in 6 months it might take a while if nobody remembered where the defaults are stored.

@KevinCross said:
    That is really all we had to do, but Windows and Mac store the default in different places and finding where was the time consuming part. Add in the time to compile, test, document, check in to source control, etc. and time really flies. If we had to do it again now it would be pretty quick, but in 6 months it might take a while if nobody remembered where the defaults are stored.

I see, yes that makes sense, if I open a project I made even a couple of years ago it often looks like a sprawling mess of deranged thinking - I spend a lot of time asking "what on earth does that do, and where is it getting that value from" . . . even though I might only want to make a simple change.

What do you think of the idea of introducing additional modifier keys for other nudge values ? Surely it's just a case of changing an RGBA value ? :tongue:

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

With an actor's initial position now being rounded to the nearest whole number (for me the best thing to happen to GameSalad in years !! This is simply brilliant !!

@socks, it's actually exciting to place an actor, open its coordinates and not see decimals. I guess I need more excitement in my life! LOL

@jamie_c said:
    socks, it's actually exciting to place an actor, open its coordinates and not see decimals. I guess I need more excitement in my life! LOL

You think your life lacks excitement ? I've not even downloaded this latest release (I'm not Pro yet), so I'm just getting excited about the thought of being able to do this ! :smile:

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@Socks said:
    What do you think of the idea of introducing additional modifier keys for other nudge values ? Surely it's just a case of changing an RGBA value ? :tongue:

Uh huh, and then we'd get "Hey, every time I press the arrow keys my actor changes color!"

Those values are currently hardcoded to 1 and 10. Adding more values with different modifier keys could be possible, but there's only so many modifier keys you can use and possibility for conflicts with other things. It's something we could think about if there's a lot of demand for it.

For something like moving an actor by it's own width/height for manual tiling it seems like a better way would be to provide a specific command for that like "duplicate actor" with a way to provide a number and offsets to make it more flexible, especially if you wanted to have them slightly overlap, have space between them, make a diagonal line, etc.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    edited July 2015

@GeorgeGS said:

That makes perfect sense. I couldn't figure out where all the time was being spent when somewhere there must have been something like

float defaultR=0.0;
    float defaultG=0.0;
    float defaultB=0.0;

Except in Objective-C or whatever GameSalad is written in. But if nobody knew where the values were being stored, then I can imagine finding them would be a royal pain. And I must admit I never factored testing into my "five minutes" assessments.

I hope GameSalad have fully appreciated just how much their users have fully appreciated these simple changes, though :D However much you think we appreciate them, we appreciate them more!

Also, simple, honest answers like that with a little bit of explanation go an amazingly long way. I hope that's the kind of responses we can look forward to under this new GameSalad management! So far we've been seeing a lot of good things.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@Socks said:
    You think your life lacks excitement ? I've not even downloaded this latest release (I'm not Pro yet), so I'm just getting excited about the thought of being able to do this ! :smile:

Why can't you download the release? Did something change?

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited July 2015

@pinkio75 said:
    AdMob Banners on Android not working... i've try it on my android tablet.. could you please reply me about AdMob Banners on Android? BlackCloakGS

I put AdMob interstitial ads in one of my iOS games, did a build last night and when I tested this morning the ad showed up fine, and very quick!

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@StormyStudio should take a look at the pathfinding system, and check out all the new things going on!

@GeorgeGS said:
    Uh huh, and then we'd get "Hey, every time I press the arrow keys my actor changes color!"

Today's bug, tomorrows feature!

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited July 2015

hey guys any official statement to the not appearing admob banners?
    nor visible live or on the test device (android <- the only reason we really need them)

updated 6 of my top performing apps this morning on google play + amazon store
    removing my custom banner linking to my top performing game

i might have been to overexcited..

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@NimbleBug said:
    BlackCloakGS what about offline mode ?

Working on it.

• QASaladQASalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 142

@BigDave said:
    hey guys any official statement to the not appearing admob banners?
    nor visible live or on the test device (android <- the only reason we really need them)

updated 6 of my top performing apps this morning on google play + amazon store
    removing my custom banner linking to my top performing game

i might have been to overexcited..

They're working for me. Do you have Show Banner behaviors in your project? I assume so but just want to make sure. Also make sure you copy the entire Ad ID from admob's site including the slash and the numbers after it.

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@pinkio75 said:
    AdMob Banners on Android not working... i've try it on my android tablet.. could you please reply me about AdMob Banners on Android? BlackCloakGS

Do AdMob interstitial ads work on your device? AdMob on Android is tied to the GooglePlay Store and OS version that you have, and may not work on older devices. (Weirdly, this means that it's easier to get AdMob working on an iOS device than an Android one.)