Second Thought [PAID]

DonaldMDonaldM Member Posts: 48
edited November 2015 in Help Wanted

MESSAGE TO ANY OTHERS LOOKING TO HIRE ANYONE

I strongly urge you to take your money elsewhere. I have hired over 30 developers and artists in the last five years, working on many different projects. In this time, I have never experienced a community so aggressive, judgmental or offensive in the years I have been doing this. I explained everything very clearly and was still met with condescending answers and questions. The fact that I was willing to pay someone over $1,000 for their services had little to no effect. YOU WILL NOT GAIN RESPECT being the one looking to hire from these people. It seems that past experiences have left them unaware that there is a certain way business is conducted, a certain level of negotiation and respect that goes into working out a deal.

THEY WILL expect you to give them a flat number
THEY WILL NOT consider their skill level, efficiency and effectiveness while speaking with you
THEY WILL NOT message you to discuss payment
THEY WILL ridicule you

As someone with that literal checkbook, I am telling you right now, the best thing to do is go somewhere else. Unreal or Unity has a community 10x bigger and 100x more inviting of your money. **DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. **

Comments

• RabidParrotRabidParrot Formally RabidParrot. Member Posts: 956

So you are a publisher?

• DonaldMDonaldM Member Posts: 48

I will reserve that title until I have something to publish. As of right now, I'm just a passionate gamer who want's to work with other passionate gamers to make something people will enjoy.

Now, in the long run, yes, I will be publishing.

"I'm just a passionate gamer who want's to work with other passionate gamers to make something people will enjoy."By publishing work that others have made. It just seems rather sketchy. You want people to put in 95% of the work for you to get 1/2 of the revenue. Not a deal I think anyone would be willing to take.

I think previous experiences have left the community a bit hostile and possibly presumptuous. I don't remember saying the work would be done for free, nor did I ever mention me not doing work myself. I'm sure $800-1200 for a completed project, and percentage of revenue sounds low to some, but I'm sure I will meet someone willing. Off to the Unreal forums!

Apologies for not impressing anyone. The experience has been....offensive.

edited November 2015

You have 22 Facebook likes. Estimated visits to your website is too low to register. I thought publishers were supposed to be marketing pros? I have more likes on my FB page with no marketing. Sorry you're offended. Maybe you can find some suckers elsewhere. Cheers.

The website and social media outlets I JUST completed to go along with the website have very little to do with the money in my pocket and the person I'm looking to pay for their services. To instantly judge and ridicule a potential client only proves to me that this community is completely unprofessional. Expecting a client to divulge pricing in a general post? Are you serious? Is this your first run at doing something professionally?

In no way did I come here looking for "suckers", but I definitely found fools. I will never hire ANYONE using GameSalad from here on out. How incredibly disrespectful. Act tough all you want, when it's all said and done, you'll be stuck doing nickle and dime jobs for years to come.

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

@DonaldM per the forum rules, paid jobs are supposed to say so in the title.

edited November 2015

I speak on behalf of myself. Not the GameSalad community. I'm tired of people like yourself who think they can just waltz right in and expect someone to put in a majority of the work in an app and take half the revenue. I see it all to often and every post gets closed. "Hey I'm a publisher and I want free money, so you make and app and give it to me and we'll split the profits." When you know good and well you don't deserve it.

Seeing as I'm an indie developer, I am free to express my opinion as I see fit. If I see something as shady as this post I'm going to call it out.

Well, seeing the route that this thread has taken I wouldn't be surprised if it was closed.

If you want an app make it yourself.

EDIT: Thread was changed to "Paid" after this post.

And I'm tired of no-talent forum warriors acting as if everyone is out to take their "work". Let me give you a run down of how this works. You get a job, you get paid for that job, then you go to the next job. I'm sorry someone stole from you or hurt your feelings in the past, but the matter of the fact is that I have money and I need someone to do a job. I'm a client, not your ex-girlfriend, kid. You don't want the job, that's perfectly fine, but I expect you to close the page and move on, not work to discredit something you know nothing about. You are someone who has become proficient with a game creator, that's it. You want me to treat you like a coder? Be a coder. You want to get paid for someone using a dev kit app? There you go.

"Do all the work and take half" blah blah blah. No, you get paid to take everyone elses work and put it together. You take the artwork, the music, the animations and you put it together, you finalize. You think you do everything because you have GS? Negative. You keep calling yourself "indie", it seems to be quite a title you've given yourself. I've released two apps to the App Store, do I consider myself an "indie" developer? No, because I wasn't. I was a kid with a computer who did it myself. So you think you're special? Let me tell you something, you're not.

To hell with this place.

Also, I added that [PAID] to the title like you mentioned, doesn't matter now.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

Lol you only got few comments and it made you rage and blame the whole gamesalad community, very professional i believe , goodluck finding what you want either here or somewhere else .

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited November 2015

He does actually have a point though....

People come to the forums, post that they're looking for someone to do work, and in most cases, they get aggressively hounded back out of here.... rather than people taking it to emails, to discuss the potential work in a professional manner.

Its something Ive noticed on many occasions...

Rather than discuss things privately, theres a number of forum regulars who are quick to jump in and treat people coming here, touting work, with immediate suspicion... and who then go on to aggressively put the person through the mangler.

I'd agree with much of what the guy opening the thread said... its definitely not the most welcoming or professional forum with regards to treatment of people looking to place work.

4 times I've started here looking for someone to hire here and it's always been the same. It's proven to just be a terrible community as a whole, regardless the few who try and find some work.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

lol :smile:

The Internet™

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

A big contributor to that is likely the forum standards. Like, he's also taken some offense to needing to quote a rate, as though that defies common sense, but openly stating rates are part of the forum rules on both the [$] Art/Audio and [$] Programming sub-forums (where this thread should have probably actually been).

All the context surrounding the original post set people up to expect it was un-paid.

@Chunkypixels said:

People come to the forums, post that they're looking for someone to do work, and in most cases, they get aggressively hounded back out of here.... rather than people taking it to emails, to discuss the potential work in a professional manner.

Rather than discuss things privately, theres a number of forum regulars who are quick to jump in and treat people coming here, touting work, with immediate suspicion... and who then go on to aggressively put the person through the mangler.

I'd agree with much of what the guy opening the thread said... its definitely not the most welcoming or professional forum with regards to treatment of people looking to place work.

The thread wasn't originally paid. It was a run of the mill publisher con. I have a website I'm looking for games for free games so I can make money off people. It's a shame he changed the original post. Oh well..

edited November 2015

Oh God this kid is ridiculous.

@Moik said:
    DonaldM per the forum rules, paid jobs are supposed to say so in the title.

I added it once he pointed it out. I even stated that in a following post. You ARE what I'm talking about. You are the vile, no-talent, forum warrior that destroys any inkling of business for these people. And I really do mean that, I visited your "website" and saw all your "games".

And if this gets closed, it's because I requested it myself.

@DonaldM said:
    Oh God this kid is ridiculous.

I'm sorry you got butt-hurt off an opinion. Maybe you should try to be a little more professional.

@DonaldM said:
    And if this gets closed, it's because I requested it myself.

Do us all a favor.

The professional boat has sailed. Now I'm talking to people I would never pay in my life, not for garbage like yours. Have you ever actually looked at your work? I mean...it's terrible.

Like....really really bad. Not indie level....it's sweep-under-the-bed-and-forget-forever level.

@DonaldM said:
    Like....really really bad. Not indie level....it's sweep-under-the-bed-and-forget-forever level.

You're going to have to try better than that. Come on! I know you can do it!

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879
    edited November 2015

@Chunkypixels said:

Just a reminder -- this is what you said about his 'offer' way back in 2011.
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/129302/#Comment_129302

Half are rip offs of already existing games and the rest look like a 5 year old doodled them together or MSPaint on their PC at school. Lemme guess....you actually tried to make money off of them lol. That's probably why you want to be called indie so bad, because your not any good.

Well now I'm just trolling but your true colors have really shown. My work here is done.

The best part about that story is that someone actually contacted me shortly after and we worked on a project together, I paid him and the game was on the market for a year. It wasn't the best, but he got paid and I got experience. I admit he only got paid 1/4 the amount I mentioned, but he was still happy and I counted it as a loss.

The point is, regardless the amount of time I've had to deal with this community, I always find someone to take my money. They give me what I need, they get their money and GS always ends up having nothing to do with it. This was the last attempt. Run everyone off for all I care. With forum crusaders like that kid, GS will never reach a higher level of appreciation in the industry. Toodles.

This discussion has been closed.