Creator 1.24 Hotfix is now available for Mac and Windows

QASaladQASalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 142
edited November 2015 in GameSalad Kitchen

Creator 1.24 Hotfix

Mac Creator 1.24.38 Fixes

• Fixed an issue where drag and drop functionality could cease to work

• Disabled behaviors will no longer hide themselves when a project is loaded

• Fixed an issue where Preview will sometimes only show a black screen or a tiny 10x10 window

Windows Creator 1.24.5802.25480 Fixes

• Fixed physics attributes not being loaded correctly sometimes

• Added a confirmation box when using Save As on an existing directory

Engine 1.24 Fixes

• Fixed textSubStr not working

• Fixed actors intersecting with each other when they should collide.

• Fixed actors sometimes not moving when they should.

Comments

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

Note that, depending on how many actors you have, Android performance may be slow. We're still looking at performance improvements.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited November 2015

@QASalad said:

• Fixed an issue where Preview will sometimes only show a black screen or a tiny 10x10 window

No way !! That's been a bug for a looooog time, I thought it was a perma-bug™, glad to see it squashed !

• liuxzliuxz Member, PRO Posts: 51

after update 1.24.35 version ,Android performance become slowly,it terrible, some collide not happen,some actors move slowly.

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@liuxz

Please see @stevej's post above.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Thanx for the quick fix on a friday!

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779
    edited November 2015

@stevej said:
    Note that, depending on how many actors you have, Android performance may be slow. We're still looking at performance improvements.

Even though it was mentioned that android performance suffere in the 1.24 update, did it get worse in the hot fix since the continous collision feature was put back in? :o

I am intrigued by this CC disabling feature.

I published my games to arcade and html5 a few hours before the hotfix for testing purposes, I noticed that the framerate was extremely smooth even when there is a ton of enemies on screen. I mean, I did optimize the game beforehand, which made gameplay at normal settings have smooth framerate, but now without CC, even a ton of enemies, above the 7 enemy limit I imposed on the game, shooting tons of fireballs on screen that would otherwise cause a framerate drop runs exceptionally smooth as can be seen in this video I took now. And as you can see, no collision probs. :) At the 48 second mark, a way bigger than normal group appears, and even with recording occurring, the gameplay is fast.

If for some reason I have to publish my game to the stores before the editable CC is implemented, do I contact the GS team to disable it from my game? :)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332
    edited November 2015

Fixed actors intersecting with each other when they should collide.

This is still occurring for me.

Great to see these speedy fixes though!

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@Armelline There's no guarantee that actors will never overlap, depending on your scene setup. I'd love to look at another example of this, though!

@CodeWizard said:
    @Armelline There's no guarantee that actors will never overlap, depending on your scene setup. I'd love to look at another example of this, though!

It's not happening often and I've got an absolute ton of collisions happening, so probably not a big issue. I'll send you the project file though. Bear in mind I only had an hour or so last night to make it so don't expect much finesse to it :D

I haven't had the chance to use the custom collision yet, although I heard it doesn't work on html5, does that depend on what external editor is used, or just a system limitation?

Anyway, as for the disabling of the continuous collision detection being an option, again, I think this is a genius move. I look forward to any development regarding that. Will it be a boolean you check on the server side or creator?

• kirafukirafu Member, PRO Posts: 314

great work!!

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@Franto said:
    I haven't had the chance to use the custom collision yet, although I heard it doesn't work on html5, does that depend on what external editor is used, or just a system limitation?

Anyway, as for the disabling of the continuous collision detection being an option, again, I think this is a genius move. I look forward to any development regarding that. Will it be a boolean you check on the server side or creator?

Custom collision will be implemented for html5 some time in the future.

The continuous collision flag will be an attribute you will be able to set on a scene.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

Played around with this a little, and all i can say is: This is even cooler than i imagined! Everything seems to work correctly (at least for now), and the custom collision is easy to set up.

I have some cool experiments in mind. Can't wait to get working again.

Thank you GS team!

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

edited November 2015

@dgackey said:
    @liuxz

Please see @stevej's post above.

my project website:http://publish.gamesalad.com/game/159602/edit#app_916675_settings
    my account:liuxz706625262@gmail.com
    use overscan.android .
    maybe you can see it.after November 10,the android version app.the actors moved slowly,and some collide not happen.If I use android viewer ,it was well,but when I generate and download apk from gamesalad website,the apK was some wrong.

edited November 2015

• quinn221quinn221 Member Posts: 280

Has anyone else noticed that GS seems to be running slower with the last update. I get the spinning beachball on my mac quite often now when doing simple thing like dragging an actor to the stage...I am curious to know if anyone else has noticed this.

@stevej said:
    Custom collision will be implemented for html5 some time in the future.

The continuous collision flag will be an attribute you will be able to set on a scene.

Sweet! I can't wait. B) You guys are doing an outstanding job with these new updates and features.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@quinn221 said:
    Has anyone else noticed that GS seems to be running slower with the last update. I get the spinning beachball on my mac quite often now when doing simple thing like dragging an actor to the stage...I am curious to know if anyone else has noticed this.

I noticed the same. It's not that bad, but definitely a bit slower.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• BaDDAppleBaDDApple Member Posts: 49

Starting with the update and this hotfix collisions no longer work for my project.

• epicmanepicman Games Developer Crewe, United KingdomMember, PRO Posts: 21

This is great :)

Although the "Network Send table to URL" function is still currently bugged at the moment :(

Alex from the GS team told me that its a bug that's in the process of being patched so I'm glad that bugs get spotted early on :)

Aside of the network bug, so ahppy to see the new collision functions :D

• crestwoodgamescrestwoodgames Member Posts: 191

I have run into a bug.

I have and actor that is a concave jar shape. I have a ball that is set to collide with the jar.

I have a rule if ball collides with jar, destroy the ball.

If you touch the jar it is set to rotate by 90 degrees.

I can rotate the jar until the ball is spawned. Once the ball is on scene, i can no longer touch the jar and have it rotate.

If I remove the collide/destroy rule from the ball and it is on scene, the jar will rotate to touch just fine.

If I set the ball to collide with a simple legacy shapes(circle,square) I do not have this problem.

This only seems to happen with custom shapes.

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@BaDDApple said:
    Starting with the update and this hotfix collisions no longer work for my project.

Use the question mark in the lower right and send your project or a publishing link to customer service and we can take a look.

@quinn221 said:

I noticed the same. slow,not collide.

So many possibilities with this! Thought it would be interesting to try some water, and it's definitely looking a lot more possible. A quick play around:

I just wanna double check, if I publish with version Mac 1.24.35 instead of 1.24.38, I still get the CC disabled feature, or was that a change made on the publishing server side?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited November 2015

@crestwoodgames said:

I have run into a bug.

I have and actor that is a concave jar shape. I have a ball that is set to collide with the jar.

I can rotate the jar until the ball is spawned. Once the ball is on scene, i can no longer touch the jar and have it rotate.

If I remove the collide/destroy rule from the ball and it is on scene, the jar will rotate to touch just fine.

If I set the ball to collide with a simple legacy shapes(circle,square) I do not have this problem.

I'm getting this a lot too, with custom collision shapes setting a collide behaviour or a collide rule (even an empty collide rule) will stop the custom collision shape actor from moving.

The collide behaviour or collide rule needn't even be on the custom collision shape actor, it could be on another actor (and set to collide with the custom collision shape actor) and this will still stop the custom collision shape actor from moving, switching off the collision behaviour or rule gets things going again.

From what I can tell so far the custom collision shape actor's image seems to play a role in this issue.

• crestwoodgamescrestwoodgames Member Posts: 191

@Socks said:
    @crestwoodgames said:

I have run into a bug.

I'm getting this a lot too, with custom collision shapes setting a collide behaviour or a collide rule (even an empty collide rule) will stop the custom collision shape actor from moving.

The collide behaviour or collide rule needn't even be on the custom collision shape actor, it could be on another actor (and set to collide with the custom collision shape actor) and this will still stop the custom collision shape actor from moving, switching off the collision behaviour or rule gets things going again.

From what I can tell so far the custom collision shape actor's image seems to play a role in this issue.

After doing some more testing, I think my issue is not an issue at all.

If i have an actor that is shaped like a U and there is nothing on scene that will collide with it, i can touch inside the center of the actor(black area) and it will rotate. Once my ball enters the scene, the custom collision shape is put into effect and only touching the graphic my custom collision is shaped to will fire off the touch rules.

Its almost as if my U shape has a collision of a legacy square shape, but will change to the custom collision only when something that can collide with it is on scene.

I tested this on an IPAD with large actors. When testing in the viewer it appeared to be an issue because I was simulating touch with a mouse pointer. The mouse pointer tip is a lot smaller than touch.

With the collide actor is on scene, I have to make sure the tip of my mouse is on the image exactly. When the collide actor is off scene, i can click anywhere "within" the actor like the legacy shapes do.

This might be intended to save processing. If there are no collide actors on the scene, why would you need custom shapes in place?

Not sure.

I can post a video if needed.

@BaDDApple said:

I noticed the same.

collisions no longer work and apk seems to be running slower with the last update.
    I open a bug and help,but no response.
    my account:liuxz706625262@gmail.com
    project url:http://publish.gamesalad.com/game/159602/edit

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited November 2015

Has anyone noticed if this hot fix fixes the issue with square actor collisions?