Creator 1.24 Hotfix is now available for Mac and Windows

Comments

• BaDDAppleBaDDApple Member Posts: 49

@GeorgeGS said:

@BaDDApple said:
    Starting with the update and this hotfix collisions no longer work for my project.

Use the question mark in the lower right and send your project or a publishing link to customer service and we can take a look.

After spending several hours going through my code to see if I had done something to break collisions and enduring a number of crashes. I ended up rewriting my collision code. What I found out is the two collision actors have to be above or below each other in layers. If I move them away from each other the collisions code will not work correctly. Glad I found the issue, but wasted a day working an introduced bug instead of my game.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@liuxz said:
    collisions no longer work and apk seems to be running slower with the last update.
    I open a bug and help,but no response.
    my account:liuxz706625262@gmail.com
    project url:http://publish.gamesalad.com/game/159602/edit

Yes they said android would be slower they are looking into it. Also Gs staff is not there during the weekend.

• Machinist AppsMachinist Apps Member, PRO Posts: 65

The android phone viewer now crashes when trying to preview the game. Anybody else having this issue?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@BaDDApple said:
    . . . wasted a day working an introduced bug instead of my game.

Never a good idea to update software in the middle of a live project.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Socks said:

@BaDDApple said:

Same can be said about releasing updates knowing you won't be available for the next 2 day if something no wonky.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited November 2015

@Lovejoy said:
    Same can be said about releasing updates knowing you won't be available for the next 2 day if something no [worky].

True - and a good point - (in fact GameSalad used to have a policy of not releasing updates on a Friday for this very reason).

But ultimately the choice is down to the user, if you are in the middle of an important project it's really not a good idea to update the software you need for that project, the fact that an update comes out on a Friday (and support is likely to be at least 2 days away) means it's an even worse descision to update.

And rather than updating your software by writing over (or otherwise deleting) the previous version you would - ideally - make a sepetate installation of the newer software - then if you find the update is causing issues you can just go back to the previous version, there really shouldn't be any need to waste a day sorting out compatibility issues with software you are under no pressure to install.

I'm glad GS give us the choice and let us decide whether we should update or not, rather than imposing an artificial delay (if even only a weekend) to protect people from themselves.

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@liuxz said:
    collisions no longer work and apk seems to be running slower with the last update.

We've received several of your tickets and have seen your forum posts. Our CS staff will get back to you as soon as possible on Monday morning. Thank you for your patience.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

@Socks said:

@BaDDApple said:

Yep this is generally I run a new build of the software by downloading it off the site and running it separately off my external drive and make a copy of my projects and test them out in the new build. I still haven't updated to el capitan yet as I always wait. I never jump right to any updates of anything.

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779
    edited November 2015

Just to try it out, I tested from 1.24 vs 1.23 on android and made two apps of the game for each version. Yeah, as it was said, huge slowdown on android now, like, an 8 frame attack only shows 2 frames. They must be working hard on the android side and had to leave things as they were to release the new features. An understandable choice.

And for those wondering why, android is very different from iOS, and a bit different to work with, here is a quote straight from a programmer to another programmer on the subject:

"Porting from iOS to Android is non-trivial.
    First there is the language barrier: Objective-C versus Java/C++.

I will assume that most of your iOS game is C or C++ code.
    This means that using Android's NDK you can port the C/C++ part of your code pretty >much 1:1.
    You will still need to write a little Java too, for your Activity class.

Next, you need to address the app-life-cycle of Android.
    When an iOS app is pushed to the background, it is no big deal: your OpenGL context >and resources (VBOs, textures, etc.) will still be in memory when you are foregrounded >again.

Not so much in Android:
    When your Android app is backgrounded (interrupted by cell phone call, e.g.) you will >lose ALL OpenGL resources.
    This means that your app must be able to recreate all resources from scratch upon >command.
    (Not just create them at program start, like you do on iOS.)
    This is the biggest difference between iOS and Android."

It's quite a thing to handle on the GS team's part, and their doing an excellent job with the additions made recently with pause, sleep, and other new features on android.

• liuxzliuxz Member, PRO Posts: 51

@dgackey said:

@liuxz said:

We've received several of your tickets and have seen your forum posts. Our CS staff will get back to you as soon as possible on Monday morning. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks.

• Agent ArgyleAgent Argyle Member, PRO Posts: 188

I'd like to downgrade back to 1.23.1 for Mac so I can re-compile my Android binaries. But the files won't open now because I saved them in a newer version. I read previously that older versions required an XML edit for downgrading to work. Is that the case again now? If so, what file do I need to edit and what edit should I make? Thanks.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@Agent Argyle said:
    I'd like to downgrade back to 1.23.1 for Mac so I can re-compile my Android binaries. But the files won't open now because I saved them in a newer version. I read previously that older versions required an XML edit for downgrading to work. Is that the case again now? If so, what file do I need to edit and what edit should I make? Thanks.

Not sure about the XML edit, but in the future ALWAYS make a backup before opening files on a newer version. Just in case...

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

edited November 2015

Thanks NipaDidIt.

I have a backup. But then, of course, I made changes in the new version, which I would like to include in the new build. So, in this case, my backup does me no good.

edited November 2015

@Agent Argyle If you have bootcamp or a pc with windows, download the Windows version of creator, from before 1.23, such Windows Creator 13.40, then open the file in that version and save. Then export it/upload it and re-download it on your mac, and it should open up in 1.23.1.

I know because this happened to me over the weekend, but I just tested out every possible way, and happened to have 13.40 on hand, which opened the 1.24 version file with no problems, resaved, and the method worked.

Thanks @Franto !

edited November 2015

You're welcome.

Meanwhile, I think GS team is most likely super busy with the engine or help system. I look forward to what they can come up with.

• wheres the link of the update?

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454
    edited November 2015

does this update include any improvements to change scene load times? i can't seem to find any notes on this but I do recall seeing it mentioned in the Creator update at some point. Loading times actually seem to be a bit longer for me with the latest update

@josephusvdelaserna@gmail.com said:
    wheres the link of the update?

The link is always at the bottom of the webpage.

• Sas-djSas-dj Member Posts: 46

please help
    on last 2 updates my game is running slower on iOS , and very much slower on android
    please advise
    thanks

@Supafly129 I'm pretty sure they said the quicker loading times would come in 1.25. And on the android side of things, they are in a transitional state with the fixes, so until they tie up loose ends in the code, it is slow if you publish to android at the moment.

Publish with 1.23.1 if you need to publish to android.

@Sas-dj For now, if you publish, it might be better to use an earlier version, until 1.25 comes out. 1.24 is mostly for trying out and testing with the new features.

• Sas-djSas-dj Member Posts: 46

ok thanks

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

Just fyi, in 1.24 we upgraded to the newest version of the Box2D physics engine* for this release, and it appears that that is what's slowing things down. We're still trying to track down why that is and what we can do about it.

*Box2D is what most 2d game engines use for their physics model, just as Havok is what most 3d engines use.

I heard of Box2D in other engines and frameworks. I remember reading of a framework that allows for choosing between different engines. From that list, I read about Box2D being compared to another called Chipmunk. There is even a "lightweight" physics engine called Arcade Physics that some html5 games rely on due to having low processing power requirements.

Although, Box2D is the most reliable and robust physics engine out now.

I'm not gonna suggest integrating other physics engine based on needs of each gamedev in GS, I'm not a real programmer, so it's probably either incredibly time consuming to add such a feature. If there was a superior physics engine, it would have been implemented anyway I guess.

@stevej wrote:

Just fyi, in 1.24 we upgraded to the newest version of the Box2D physics engine* for this release, and it appears that that is what's slowing things down. We're still trying to track down why that is and what we can do about it.

In the meantime, is there a way to open projects from 1.24 in 1.23 on Mac without jumping to Windows like @Franto suggests?

Thanks.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@Agent Argyle said:
    In the meantime, is there a way to open projects from 1.24 in 1.23 on Mac without jumping to Windows like @Franto suggests?

Yes. You need to change every instance of

``PGFVersion="0.24"

to

``PGFVersion="0.23"

in the various XML files. At least, that worked for previous versions. If you've added custom collision shapes, you'll need to remove them from the XMLs too, I'd presume.

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@supafly129 said:
    does this update include any improvements to change scene load times? i can't seem to find any notes on this but I do recall seeing it mentioned in the Creator update at some point. Loading times actually seem to be a bit longer for me with the latest update

We made several scene change improvements in this version and we have more optimizations coming. They make quite a difference in the projects I have to test with, but every project is different so it's hard to know why you might think the load times are longer without being able to profile your specific situation.

Technically it's a bug that the older Windows Creator will open newer projects. Keep in mind it does not know about things like custom physics shapes and any other file format changes made since it was released, so loading and saving in the older version could cause you to lose data if you are using new features, and publishing with older versions means you are locked to the older version of the engine so any bug fixes or improvements we've made would not be available to you.

Thanks @Armelline and @GeorgeGS -

saving in the older version could cause you to lose data

I might just wait it out in that case.

• Getting this error when trying to import a JSON file for custom collision that I made with PhysicsEditor

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@Agent Argyle said:
    Thanks @Armelline and @GeorgeGS -

saving in the older version could cause you to lose data

I might just wait it out in that case.

If you don't use custom collisions there's not likely to be a problem. But just back the file up first and you're safe anyway.