Platformer game progress

IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485
edited March 2016 in Announce Your Game!

Hello , I am trying to learn pixel art I want to have an old gba feel in the game , so I want to share my progress and know what im missing or does it have that feel to it. I dont know if this is considered retro or not. I hope you like it though , it is still in development. (Music is by @Sparkyidr )

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Looks really good!

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Looks and sounds great :)

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
  • IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

Thanks alot guys , glad you like it

• SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033

Hey.....this is looking great :)

@BigDave Thanks alot

@Sparkyidr Thank you , im glad you like it , the music is great :)

• jollydojollydo Member, PRO Posts: 20

Please finish this game, it's great. Im gonna download it then :-)
    Suggestion: all the colors can be a little more vibrant?
    Keep it up!

@jollydo Thanks :) , ill keep your suggestion in mind as i develop the next levels

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@Icebox, great work!

I agree with @jollydo regarding the color. The background is too muted. I suggest brightening it up, then tying the whole background together by overlaying one color hue. Preferably something reflecting the mood and contrasting to the foreground.

Jumps "look" like they "feel" good and crisp.

What really shines is the excellent camera work. Especially in the vertical. Maybe let the camera lead a bit more in the direction of travel.

@Hopscotch Thanks alot really appreciate it , i will do that with the camera . But with the background i added a white actor to fit the screen and made the alpha 0.3 , to brighten up the background cause the colors were really confusing and i couldnt see the enemies, I cant figure out another way to do it well . The camera, i will make it lead a bit as you said it should make it better. Thanks again ! :)

• SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    edited March 2016

You picked my fave music track from that pack btw :)

One thing I would suggest (seeing as though people are offering opinions/help etc)
    I think maybe try to keep your character/enemy design consistent.
    i.e. your main guy has a black outline, but none of the bad guys do. If this was a concious decision, then ignore me ;) but for me, I would go totally one way or the other on that stuff.

Also, I agree. The colours, especially in the background could be more "vibrant". Even just chucking them into photoshop (or whatever you use), and messing with the saturation would give you a warmer look to the trees and whatnot.

Either way though....it's looking like you have a solid foundation to build from here. Am impressed with how slick it's already looking.

@Sparkyidr Thanks alot for your suggestions, and I loved the song as soon as i herd it . As for the black outline yes it was a concious decision :D i wanted the hero to be different. I'll look for a way to make the color more vibrant. Thanks for your feedback appreciate it.

• OrvilFoxOrvilFox Member Posts: 67

Wow nice work! Can't wait till it released!

Btw this↓ is so cute XD

@neo1998x thank you ! :D glad you like it

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779

The gameplay looks very smooth, and the game mechanic of transmuting enemies is an awesome and unique mechanic that can lead to some scenarios requiring thinking skills.

edited August 2016

I'm back to working on my old project :) worked on a smooth change scene and some npc's , here is a short video of level 2,3 ( ios viewer)

• GreenfroggGamesGreenfroggGames Member Posts: 224

Looks great, nice flow!

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
  • RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Member Posts: 659

Looks awesome! Love turning the bad guys to blocks. I would add a little bounce in the guys step. The animation looks great, I would just move him up a couple pixels between each step (when both legs are off the ground).

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

Wow. A lot of work and forward planning obvious there. Looking very good. How far to launch?

Thanks alot guys @jamie_c @GreenfroggGames

@RossmanBrothersGames I will add the bounce right away im sure it will look better ! thanks for the tip and the kind words.

@PhilipCC Thanks alot , I think it will take a while , maybe a month or more , I hate drawing and animating :) Coding the game and level designing is easy with GS and im done with that, now i'll need to draw enemies / level select / npc's / story scene. So I hope its done soon.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187
    edited August 2016

Looks and sounds great.

Now I know where the avatar comes from

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited August 2016

Looks lovely!
    Are you planning to add a bit of a puzzle touch to some levels? Transforming enemies into boxes could be a really good setup for that. :)

@toque Thanks alot !
    @Hoodloc Thanks alot and yes im planning to add puzzles, i love puzzle platformers ( especially games like klonoa ) so ill add them later on.

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 521

Hi @Icebox you game look amazing! I am curious, how you make this levels? I see that are very big and I never did a platformer, this are generated in execution time from tables? Or you place one by one all blocks? What resolution have this scenes? GS not have limitations in this aspect? Thanks and congrats,
    Roque

Hey @CasualEvolution Thanks for your kind words!

@CasualEvolution said:
    What resolution have this scenes? GS not have limitations in this aspect?

I work on iphone 5 landscape platform and change the scene size width to 7000 ( more or less depends on your choice GS does not limit you )

how you make this levels? I see that are very big and I never did a platformer, this are generated in execution time from tables? Or you place one by one all blocks?

No tables , just drag and drop actors (ground actor is tiled and the edges are seperate actors) here is a quick example :) ( everyone has his own preferred method so this isnt the only way to do it)

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

@freneticz there is a tutorial on youtube

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 521

@Icebox thanks for your answer, you inspired me! :)