GameSalad Creator 1.25.96 RC

Comments

• Chris FitsimonsChris Fitsimons Member Posts: 134

Hi. @adent42 I went back to Mac OS Sierra and did a little testing with an older project and found with the latest 1.25.96 version, GS crashes when doing anything with rules. Even a rename/duplicate would crash. Using the same project in 1.25.95, I can edit rules fine but basic sprite collision would be hit and miss where sprite collision works great in 1.25.96. Is there now a mininum Mac OS level we need to be on to use the 1.25.96?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,067

@J's Junction we maintain the engines and tools separately. So updating the tool will not help with issues you may not have with a particular publishing target.

We're working on improving text rendering on the HTML5 engine. PM me and I can hook you up with our currently in development engine.

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229
    edited December 2019

A general note on dark UI:

Why it’s the future :

Less light directed to our eyes = reduced eyes strain.
    There’s also a long term effect to bright display, which results in difficulty reading or seeing details in low light situations due to light sensitive cells in the retina getting damaged.

Dark mode/UI can be a huge advantage for battery life and power efficiency.

The vestigial habit of seeing black ink on white paper is dying with paper itself via generational turn over.

Why some don’t like it:

Many try dark mode on an interface they have known for years in bight mode and after 3 minutes decide it’s hard to read and they go back to bright mode.

It usually has to do with habits and what we are used to.
    Not just mental habits but physical functional habits. We sit in front of computers and our pupils get automatically constricted for the bight lights we are about to endure.

For most, it takes about 3 days to get mentally used to the radical shift of dark mode, as mentioned above, the eyes have to get used to it as well.

For anyone who dismisses dark mode too fast, I challenge you to try it for fews days and then try to go back to bright mode. You’ll SEE… Your eyes will thank you in the long term for dark mode.

@adent42
    On that note, here are few nitpicking things that need to be fix for Game Salad dark mode to really work:

Of course the color differentiation rules in bright mode/UI still applies to dark modes:

1 The rules and Behaviors headers need to be either lighter or darker than the background body of rules.
    So we can differentiate, identify and know where is the start and the end of such rules easily.

With the current build it is hard to see:

As an example below we can easily discern each module due to darker headers

2: Table issues:
    Table configuration upper column
    column type row
    boolean cells background

are not converted to black at the moment.**

3 The pupils adjustment needed for the behaviors description window creates eye strain, it would benefit to be dark as well .

Thank you @adent42 for all your work, GS works and looks like a new software right now. :)

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,067

So Tables is something I just missed (I don't use them much in my tiny test projects. That should be fixed in the next build).

The header things we'll look at, picking colors is always fun.

As for the behavior descriptions, that's gonna take a bit more to figure out since those are stored as HTML and use a webview. I need to figure out how to let the webview know about darkmode (i'm pretty sure it's possible, just don't know how yet).

edited December 2019

@adent42 said:

The header things we'll look at, picking colors is always fun.
    . I need to figure out how to let the webview know about darkmode (i'm pretty sure it's possible, just don't know how yet).

Awesome!!

@adent42 This looks like what you're talking about:
    https://indiestack.com/2018/10/supporting-dark-mode-in-app-web-content/

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

All in all the latest build has been much better than in years. Finally so much progress being made here!

A few minor niggles I'll list for reference:

• Adding an attribute doesn't allow you to hit return to trigger the "Choose" button (or Esc for the cancel button).
    • Going to delete/deleting an attribute doesn't show you the list of actors it's used in any more.
    • Copying and pasting behaviours can result in an expression being lost and instead written out in the input box rather than the expression input box
    • The images/sound etc. panels seem to default to a size that is just too small to fit 4 columns, leaving 3 columns and a bunch of space.
    • Sometimes the layers list will become unusuable - it seems like the focus is getting stuck on another panel somewhere.
    • Cannot drag the expression editor by anything other than the top bar.

Super minor stuff in the grand scheme but I'll mention them as they're all little workflow improvers that it would be sad to lose.

Thanks for you great work on this!

• sinbotsinbot Member Posts: 232

I think dark mode looks great : ) here's a stupid question maybe someone can answer... how do I use this version of GS mentions din this thread?? I checked for updates and I am up to date with version 1.25.95

@sinbot said:
    I think dark mode looks great : ) here's a stupid question maybe someone can answer... how do I use this version of GS mentions din this thread?? I checked for updates and I am up to date with version 1.25.95

There's a link in the first post in this thread.

thank you. is it stable? sounds like some users are having some big issues with it.> @Armelline said:

@sinbot said:

There's a link in the first post in this thread.

Does this version allow you to actually setup a project for current devices?? The most recent mobile device to play test in my version of GS is iPhone 6 and it's really annoying to see the graphics all squashed and weird lookin.

@sinbot said:
    Does this version allow you to actually setup a project for current devices?? The most recent mobile device to play test in my version of GS is iPhone 6 and it's really annoying to see the graphics all squashed and weird lookin.

For pretty much everything but the iPhone X and similarly widescreen devices, yes.

Update, same link. I have one more thing to figure out but more Dark Mode fixes in.

@sinbot - from what I can tell here it's stable if you're on Mojave or newer and if you turn off hardware acceleration (still working on that).

Also, use the new 1080p selection for iPhone X and newer devices.

@adent42 said:

Not the same aspect ratio though?

I think that's the best bet to use plus stretch, then adjust your UI based on the device. With 1080p you have more pixels to work with in terms of fine grained adjustment.

I tried to download the update and got this...

@sinbot said:
    I tried to download the update and got this...

That just means it's not an https site, and you can safely ignore it. Click "Show details" and it should still let you download.

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

@Armelline said:

@adent42 said:

that’s what i was thinking. would be good if you could set custom sizes and save them for future use. right now, you can set one that you need to redo each time you test a project.

But even then, you cannot see the full project properly when working with higher resolutions. At least I can't.. even if I enter fullscreen mode. This is a critical feature to work out imo. This and a grid in the stage window would be +++++> @bob loblaw said:

@Armelline said:

@adent42 said:

that’s what i was thinking. would be good if you could set custom sizes and save them for future use. right now, you can set one that you need to redo each time you test a project.

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793
    edited December 2019

@sinbot said:
    But even then, you cannot see the full project properly when working with higher resolutions. At least I can't.. even if I enter fullscreen mode. This is a critical feature to work out imo. This and a grid in the stage window would be +++++> @bob loblaw said:

@Armelline said:

@adent42 said:

you mean like a samsung s9 resolution for example and it won’t fit on your display area? unless i’m misunderstanding you, if you use the logic in that stretch template i posted the other day, you can just scale the custom resolution down on the preview (eg. if your target is something that’s say 2500 (w) x1500 (h), set the custom resolution to 1000x600 (or 40% of the target dimensions), and it should display what you need. an s9 at top resolution (2960x1440) can be scaled down to 740x360 (div by 4 on each axis), and will display your project in the right aspect ratio in preview.

alternatively, if you have pre-defined screen adjustments for certain devices, set the custom resolution, then after hitting play, scale the custom resolution and hit reset, and that should work (that’s what i did in my first project working with overscan).

• gajaklukaszgajaklukasz Member, PRO Posts: 110

Hi, in this RC Display Text behavior is no working :-) On preview is O.K but on devise is invisible :-(

edited December 2019

@adent42 In the latest one, when using dark mode, I spotted the following. You probably already know about all of them but will mention just in case!

• Actor names are in black text when viewing them in the Scene view. But only sometimes. I haven't pinned down when they are wrong yet, they're mostly right.

• Some attributes when viewing self attributes of an actor are reversed. Dark in light mode, light in dark mode.

• When viewing the game attributes, the bar at the bottom of the attributes panel is light in dark mode. This hides the +/- buttons but they are still there.

• When viewing scene attributes, the attribute types on the right are black text instead of white.

• When viewing behaviours, the name of behaviours in the explanation panel is light, the rest of the explanation is dark.

• Some elements of the Expression Editor are still light.

• The cursor thingy in a Note is white (text is black). Or the note background is too light. Whichever you consider wrong :D

That's all I've found so far. Seems super close now!

thanks bob! that didn't occur to me for some reason.> @bob loblaw said:

@sinbot said:

@Armelline said:

@adent42 said:

you mean like a samsung s9 resolution for example and it won’t fit on your display area? unless i’m misunderstanding you, if you use the logic in that stretch template i posted the other day, you can just scale the custom resolution down on the preview (eg. if your target is something that’s say 2500 (w) x1500 (h), set the custom resolution to 1000x600 (or 40% of the target dimensions), and it should display what you need. an s9 at top resolution (2960x1440) can be scaled down to 740x360 (div by 4 on each axis), and will display your project in the right aspect ratio in preview.

alternatively, if you have pre-defined screen adjustments for certain devices, set the custom resolution, then after hitting play, scale the custom resolution and hit reset, and that should work (that’s what i did in my first project working with overscan).

• Orionis ArtsOrionis Arts Member, PRO Posts: 20

fyi, this is currently the key signing in dark mode:

Update for app signing in dark mode. I just need to figure out issues with importing custom shapes and I think it's ready to go.

edited January 2020

!!! :)

@pinkio75 said:
    the download link not working for me...

Ditto.

Will say though @adent42 the last version was so, so much faster than the current stable one, even ignoring the Mojave issues. Just scrolling through logic hasn't been this smooth in years. Great stuff.

@pinkio75 link fixed.

Found the issues with sound import and collision shape setting. Since I'm have some other stuff to do, gonna kick off a build around my dinner time and will have something posted tonight.

Get your fresh MacOS creator.