Spriteattack's Art tutorials

Comments

• FloridaGamesFloridaGames Member Posts: 328
    Rumi said:
    bookmarked this page!
    this is awesome!
    Sous chief please make this page a sticky!

+1
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Thanks for the tutorials SpriteAttack, I'm sure a lot of us graphically challenged users will find this very helpful! Keep up the good work man.

- Alex
  • JadarStudiosJadarStudios Member Posts: 264
    also bookmarked, thanks sooo much. :)

could you do a logo tutorial?
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    Ill keep it here for now so more people can see it, but will def sticky down the road.
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    Let's continue to play with inkscape's tools a little more... Again I tried to keep the tutorial simple while introducing some more features that make working with vectors fun.

Note:
    The gradient tool also allows for a change in alpha / transparency of the fill. The target in a new fill gets set to 0% alpha. Change it to full visibility in the RGB tap.

PS.:
    Just to try the simplicity of the tutorials I rebuild the inkscape samples with a free ipad application and got to nearly identical results. So for those guys out there who prefer to keep it mobile - it should still work [with slightly different commands and minor twists in the workflow].
    What iPad app did u use?
  • CapCap Member Posts: 225
    @ SpriteAttack:
    The sun is shining and Sprite Attack releases some art tutorials. Can the day get any better?!
    Thanks a lot for sharing your wisdom! I can't say how much I appreciate this! :-)
    @Jadar - I just played around with neuDraw... and even though it's rather basic it's a fun tool...

@Cap - I am glad you are enjoying this... and... to be honest... so do I... just without the sunshine at the moment...
    @SpriteAttack, Cool, and could you maybe do one on making logos?
    @Jadar - I will try but making logos as a lot to do with being able to reduce, condense and master the skills and know what works where... It's definitely a more advanced tutorial...

Let's continue with something simpler...

• LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    These are amazing loving this!!,
    thanks chris!!
    Let's take the tutorials a step further and look at some simple shading.

• GuaveMediaGuaveMedia Member, PRO Posts: 1,262
    Your Tutorial is just amazing :D

I really enjoy this too... so much fun to do such things !

But I have a question, is it possible with Inkspace, to save my smiley or picture without the white window..because if I want to use the smiley in an app, I always have the white window around the smiley!

Thank you...greetings
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Alex0407 said:
    Your Tutorial is just amazing :D

I really enjoy this too... so much fun to do such things !

But I have a question, is it possible with Inkspace, to save my smiley or picture without the white window..because if I want to use the smiley in an app, I always have the white window around the smiley!

Thank you...greetings

You need to save as a png and the white will then be transparent.
    @beefy_clyro - Thanks, mate... I will try and write up something on file formats and how to save/ export them... Point out the differences of JPG, GIF, PNG and the source files AI, CDR, SVG, XCF, etc. Should be a nice task for a rainy day like today... ;)
  • David_GryphonsRealmDavid_GryphonsRealm Member Posts: 459
    with these tuts I will be UNSTOPPABLE !!!! haha, ;-) now ima make my own graphics !! Thx alot for your time with these tuts !!

:-)
    and here are some variations showing some different light setups...

• pixelknightspixelknights Member Posts: 68
    Absolutely fantastic tutorials, these have urged me on to start making my own graphics for future games. Thanks
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    SpriteAttack-
    I just sent you a PM. :-)

Thanks m8.

Braydon
  • RumiRumi Member, PRO Posts: 343
    this totally should be stickied!
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    JohnPapiomitis said:
    Ill keep it here for now so more people can see it, but will def sticky down the road.

Let's take the gradient fill to the next level and work with colour and alpha to create a simple underwater background.

Use the 'Page Up' and 'Page Down' key to adjust the order of objects [e.g. place the sea anemones in the mid ground behind the light rays.]
    I decided to run these tutorial on a new blog as well...

http://2dgameartforprogrammers.blogspot.com/
  • HairyMuffinManHairyMuffinMan Member Posts: 36
    Amazing stuff.

Spriteattack, which paining program you're using?
  • HairyMuffinManHairyMuffinMan Member Posts: 36
    nevermind, I figured it out....

there's still too much to learn...from you :)
    @hairy - I use CorelDraw for my professional work when it comes to vectors and bitmaps. These tutorials though are based on inkscape and gimp.
  • CodeCodeCodeCode Member Posts: 200
    WOW awesome work.
    By the way, can you talk about choosing the right color? i think this is for me the hardest when working on graphics i always think i am not able to choose the right colors that belongs together.
    @Prodigio - yes... I will cover colours and colour schemes in one of the next tutorials...

For now I would like to add more life to the underwater scene and add some fish. The basic principle when adding 'real' elements to a vector scene is to look at the shapes and 'deconstruct' them into basic elements like the circle, square, rectangle or ellipse.

I usually do a quick google image search for a reference image to get a better idea what I am going to create. In this case the 'yellow reef fish' search came up with a nice yellow longnose butterfly fish.
    It works great as the main body is kind of squarish and the front has a triangular shape.

The same approach works the same with far more complex elements. It's a matter of seeing the 'building blocks'.
  • svnsvn Member Posts: 445
    I think I'm gonna take a break on my current game to learn this awesome art! Great work SpriteAttack, keep it coming!
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    Hey sprite attack,
    Can you do a tutorial on a ninja/oriental/fighting art/graphics?