Spriteattack's Art tutorials

Comments

• SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    @ svn - I am looking forward to see what you come up with

@ Leonard - yes... not a problem... I can make the next tutorial about animation and use a ninja character to illustrate the basic ideas of animation using inkscape
  • EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451
    Wow thanks for your amazing tutorials SpriteAttack. I can't wait to see your animation tutorial, keep em coming I'm really learning alot from every one of your tutorials.
  • svnsvn Member Posts: 445
    SpriteAttack said:
    @ svn - I am looking forward to see what you come up with

@ Leonard - yes... not a problem... I can make the next tutorial about animation and use a ninja character to illustrate the basic ideas of animation using inkscape

Well SpriteAttack, I will use these characters to create cute DEATH ANIMATIONS. *cue sadistic laugh*. Why? Well, that would reveal my next project.
  • creativeappscreativeapps Member Posts: 1,770
    amazing keep it up
    @ SpriteAttack: Thanks to your first tutorial, I was able to create a vector art Indian in a matter of minutes, with a tongue and nose and hair too. The fact that I did it in minutes and it actually looks semi-decent is a testament to your tutoring ability.
    @svn - mind showing what you came up with?
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    I think he ate it, he must likes Indian ;)

Great tutorial Spriteattack!!
    Here's my take on the topic:

• ShineyGamesShineyGames Member Posts: 157
    I love and hate you all at the same time !

Thanks for teaching us mere mortals
    @Shiney - you are welcome, mate... It's just a matter of practice, practice and more practice... I have been game art for roughly 25 years now...
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    wow have not seen this thread till now

nice work SA you save me a lot of time doing vector arts(I know how to do it b4 but very slow for some reason)

thanks,

Calvin
  • CapCap Member Posts: 225
    I haven't had the time to work through a tutorial yet, but I followed this thread and I'm really happy that Spriteattack gives us some hints and instructions. This is probably the best thread not directly linked to the Game Salad development environment.
    Like some others I'd also vote for an animation, a walking animation for example. To prevent that someone is just stealing the art instead of creating his own, Spriteattack could just illustrate a famous (simple) game character, for example Mario. Everyone here knows that it doesn't make a lot of sense to steal this piece of art and use Mario as a character in a game. ;-)
    Here are some sprites that may be useful for inspiration: http://www.spriters-resource.com/other_systems/pmttyd/sheet/26961

Once again a big "Thank you!" to Spriteattack.
    SpriteAttack said:
    @svn - mind showing what you came up with?

Sure. But I don't know how where to post it.
    BTW, what is the best way to simulate electrocution? I have the skull made, but I have no idea how to create the zapped look. I tried using a star on a lower layer, but it doesn't look right.
    SpriteAttack said:
    Here's my take on the topic:

Oh, er, I didn't mean American Indian. I meant subcontinental Indian.
  • expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    Your tutorials amaze me. So simple but so effective....

Have you ever considered selling art packs here?
  • EatingMyHatEatingMyHat Member Posts: 1,246
    Can someone turn this thread to a sticky on the Art section?
    @ SpriteAttack: I am learning your Gradient Fill tutorial. How do you use the Path/Difference tool to combine the rings?
    @Cap - I am working on something similar... The problem with the Mario character is the proportions - he's missing legs and the arms don't really show the animation either... I will make something simple that will show the elements in motion... From the past [mainly the deep blue apps templates] I know that things will get stolen... It's a sad fact.

@artonskyblue - Not yet... maybe I can find another 12hours in the day to add art packs to my todo-list ;)

@svn - By holding shift when clicking on objects you can select multiple object. Select the bigger circle and hold shift while clicking on the smaller one, go to the menu option "Path/ Difference" or press CTRL& -.
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    Great tuts SpriteAttack! Your teaching methods are really, really good. Perhaps you could do some explanation of how people could vary elements to individualise there artwork once they have grasped the principals? A flow diagram of a single piece resulting in different 'outputs' might be interesting... These might include colour, shape, line size, and scale of comparatively sized elements. Just an idea, but it might give people a few ideas how they could take things to a more individual and personal style.

Anyway, your guides are a great service and extraordinarily clear. Top marks. cheers kipper
    @kipper - my thinking exactly... the next tutorial will have that element... varying the elements, styles, outlines and fills to create a more unique feel... I might even do that prior to the animation tutorial...
    SpriteAttack said:
    @Cap - I am working on something similar... The problem with the Mario character is the proportions - he's missing legs and the arms don't really show the animation either... I will make something simple that will show the elements in motion... From the past [mainly the deep blue apps templates] I know that things will get stolen... It's a sad fact.

@artonskyblue - Not yet... maybe I can find another 12hours in the day to add art packs to my todo-list ;)

@svn - By holding shift when clicking on objects you can select multiple object. Select the bigger circle and hold shift while clicking on the smaller one, go to the menu option "Path/ Difference" or press CTRL& -.

Thanks SpriteAttack! BTW, what video games did you produce art for? And what kind of art packs would you make?
  • JadarStudiosJadarStudios Member Posts: 264
    Could you make a tutorial on how you made the windows for @PsychoticStudios?
    Staying in shape... the Clip Tool...

In line with the water theme let's go ashore and look at a sunset on the beach to introduce some more helpful tools and techniques.

This is our basic 'pop style' sunset with some modified circles and gradient alpha fills added to represent some rocks in the water.

One of the 'wonderful' things about working with vectors is the scalability. Objects can be scaled up and down without loss, allowing for easy editing and adjusting of the illustration.

In this case the scale of the palm trees will define the viewer's perception of distance. Smaller palm trees will put the island further in to the distance while large trees will 'bring' it up close.

Btw. the clouds are the same shape as the island just squashed and coloured in a colour matching the sky gradient. Try reusing shapes even just slightly modified, recoloured, squashed, rotated or flipped to speed things up, add variation and make your scene more interesting.
    @svn - I doubt I will make art packs... but you never know... it would most likely be platformer and adventure style packs with a rpg touch...

As for my games... I have done so many games in 25 years I forgot most of them already... Highlights would be the flash games: 'HeliAttack3' with squarecircle, 'PokerPop', 'little rocketman' and 'JammedAgain' with saydesign, 'Battalion Nemesis' with UrbanSquall, 'MTV Obsessed', 'VH1 arcade strikes back', 'Puzzled Sheep'. For the Nintendo GBA I did pixelart game 'Garfield' and a plug&play console game for 'Disney's Princesses'. For the PSP and Nintendo DS 'Impossible Mission' [remake of the classic] and for XBox 'The Adventures of Shuggy' with SmudgeCat Games. I worked on Playdom's 'Social City' and do all the art for 'Wargods online'. 'Bumps', 'Zombie Drop' and 'Boondock Saints' would be my personal favourites for the iphone and ipad. All up I should be close to the 100 games mark by now.

@Jadar - no problem... I can do a quick one...
    SpriteAttack said:
    @Jadar - no problem... I can do a quick one...

Thanks, can't wait to see it!
    Here you go, Jadar

Thanks so much! How did you make the splattered paint and crack kind of effect? I don't want to overwhelm you with requests, but my curiosity has got the better of me... lol
    @ SpriteAttack: Wow. That is a LOT of games. Nearly 100?! Gosh!

Anyway, I am having trouble with your first Gradient Fill tutorial( the one on Page 2 with the wheel). On Step 5, you say to add a new ring "a little smaller than the largest and not as wide". How did you add the fing?
  • GuaveMediaGuaveMedia Member, PRO Posts: 1,262
    I have a question concerning Inkscape :)

When I save my drawing as a png, I still have the white edge on the picture ://
    I think I have to change the white background to transparent or?

But how does that work?

ALex
  • PsychoticStudiosPsychoticStudios Member Posts: 101
    I know I am just adding to the list but I was wondering if you could show us how to an adventure like character? I don't care what kind of adventurer it is just an adventurer like character