Spriteattack's Art tutorials

Comments

• JadarStudiosJadarStudios Member Posts: 264
    Mammoth said:
    Awesome! Perhaps I should read the entire thread :P

Again, character animation is always my biggest pitfall. Since I have looked so hard, there isn't a good one that is specific to games. This is a good one.

http://www.apaganza-art.com/2009/11/testing/

If you do one you will be the first to make a tutorial on the subject.

That one is really nice. But one specifically for games/Gamesalad is even better!
  • Benjamin_m5Benjamin_m5 Member Posts: 646
    JadarStudios said:
    That one is really nice. But one specifically for games/Gamesalad is even better!

Yes...It would be very nice to make a tutorial in inkscape or gimp about how to make animations (step by step)!!!

That would be very very nice Sprite Attack!!!

Cheers
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    Thanks, guys... I will make more and the animation tutorial is in the works... [it might take a little while due to travel time - heading back from Europe to Australia]...
    SpriteAttack said:
    Thanks, guys... I will make more and the animation tutorial is in the works... [it might take a little while due to travel time - heading back from Europe to Australia]...

Can't wait! Thanks for your time!
  • CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    OHHH CAN YOU PLEASE MAKE VIDEOS OF THESE AND TALK US THROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would gladly pay to watch.
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    ccp said:
    Hey man! Thanks so much for the help! I just made this bird using your tutorials to guide. It is an supposed to look like an "Angry Birds" bird.

Dude, that's pretty sweet.

Awesome tutorials, Sprite. They've helped me get past an art issue I was having with a platform design. GameSalad is lucky to have people like you guys in the community that are so willing to help other people the way y'all do. Thank you.
    I did this one quick this morning,

I really like how CCP did his too!
  • ccpccp Member Posts: 139
    @SlickZero
    Thanks man... I just now changed him to sad ...

@JadarStudios
    Nice job!

@Me!
    Here is another one I did ... He's an evil master bird ... lol

@CoffeeChuggers: Haha, nice watermark! How did you get your stroke to be thick, then thin?

@SpriteAttack: I can't seem to get the font Helvetica working in Inkscape, when I click it, then start typeing, it goes back to Sans. Or I highlight my text, then click Helvetica, it stays Helvetica, but it doesn't change the look of the text. Does it work for you? Any suggestions?

-Jake
    @JadarStudios
    I don't use any stroke ... I turn it off

Well ... here is an additional yellow bird.

And here is the bunch!

• JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    some awesome stuff being made from the tutorials! just keep in mind not to go crazy posting you art in here though, it just makes it harder to find the tutorials in this thread
    Oh i'm sorry ... I can take it all down if you want.
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    ccp said:
    Oh i'm sorry ... I can take it all down if you want.

no no leave it its cool to see what people are doing with the tutorials, and im sure spriteattack would love to see as well. Just giving the heads up so it doesnt get crazy and hard to navigate

cheers
    ccp said:
    @JadarStudios
    I don't use any stroke ... I turn it off

Then how do you have a black outline?
  • icanmakeicanmake Member Posts: 466
    JadarStudios said:
    Then how do you have a black outline?

he might just offset the path then color it black
    icanmake said:
    he might just offset the path then color it black

oh ya, lol... make a duplicate, send to back, and make it bigger...
    JadarStudios said:
    oh ya, lol... make a duplicate, send to back, and make it bigger...

Yeah ... that's what I did ...
  • SpinningnutmegSpinningnutmeg Member Posts: 107
    Here is a bear that I drew with mostly circles. Thanks SOO much SpriteAttack! These are great tutorials!

My Circle Bear
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    Loving the art guys!

Darren.

It's great to see some nice work... Top job guys! Here's the next lot:

Creating a game character

Let's get started on a simple 2D character. There are a lot of resources and tutorial out there on character creation and animation - most of which written by and for artists and animators. I will try and break in down to simple elements and easy to follow steps.

Note:
    Some of the techniques used in this tutorial have been covered in earlier post. They should help you working your way through this a little bit more complex tutorial.

It's time to start getting creative. Building a character from scratch we start with the head and create the body and limbs before assembling the elements into the final figure.

Note:
    When working from a sketch, scribble or concept drawing it's helpful to import the bitmap image into a new layer at the bottom of your stack and work on top (Layer/ Add Layer or SHIFT+CTRL+N). Bring up the Layers (SHIFT+CTRL+N), select the sketch layer and import the bitmap. Lock the layer and select the work layer (e.g. Layer 1).

In order to make it easier to animate the character later grouping elements and assigning better pivot points is really helpful. Rather than turn an object like an arm at it's centre it makes more sense to turn it at the shoulder. In order to do that, select objects that 'belong' together and move the pivot points.

This concludes the creation process. Now it's time to go in and play with the shapes, create some variations and make the most of the objects we have created so far.

Enjoy!
    SWEET! Thanks!
  • Benjamin_m5Benjamin_m5 Member Posts: 646
    Wow, nice animations tutorials...will try that as soon as possible and will post it here :)
  • crapscraps Member Posts: 353
    Here is my very first AI attempt. Thanks for the inspiration.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I just played around with more circles and a different approach to the eyes from the first tutorial... as well as using the bezier curves and straight line tool for some simple shapes.

As always - I hope you enjoy this tutorial and I hope you have more fun with vectors...
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Hey SpriteAttack - Great stuff. :-)
    Keep at it.
  • WellenArtsWellenArts Member Posts: 1
    Great tuts!!
    Taking the last post a little further this tutorial will feature a basic face by using mainly circles (again), some more advanced straight line tool and the node modifier.

With the inital setup done it's time to play with the shapes and try out some variations.

I hope you enjoyed this addition and it gave you some ideas how to have fun with vectors.
    Cracking up...

Here's a quick post on how to create the crack in the office window tutorial. It's basically a quick use of the straight line and bezier curve tool and some moving around of nodes.

Note:

Combining the spiky shapes (Path/ Union) cleans it up a little bit more - as you won't see the overlaps. Keep in mind to combine two objects at a time in inkscape.

I hope this quick tutorial explains the creation of the crack well enough.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Hey Sprite. Any chance of showing how some of these could be done using 'Inkpad' on the iPad?