Anyone else seen the Giant Red Ball app on Apple?

Comments

• #1 now, how much that guy been making!!!!
  • I know thats insane I wish I could market my app like that!!! @SkyrocketEntertainment
  • TouchiMediaTouchiMedia Member Posts: 154
    So after seeing it hit #1 on the App Featured -- I decided to give in and try it despite how bad it looked/reviews. I wanted to see how many have downloaded by checking gamecenter leaderboards (an easy way to gauge true popularity)...

Then I realized it didn't even have that! The Levels Select menu is terrible, doesn't really look formatted right on my iphone 5, once you in it you can't hit back to menu, u have to select level.. in the description it said over 100 levels, but there's 30 something.. graphics are terrible, no real score, just beat and done.. And I didn't have any sound effects, the ball doesn't rotate around just moves..

Seriously -- how's this game get to the top of the charts, it's frkn terrible!! wtFFFFFF - I had pretty low expectations but after playing it , it was 100x worse!
  • @TouchiMedia that's insane I'm glad to hear a response from someone who downloaded the game. I was considering it but not anymore. There are so many better applications out there I guess it's just good marketing or something like that!
    edited February 2014
    I don't get it at all. You should try it just to be bewildered lol j/k .. BUT it's pretty darn difficult to get in top 10, yet alone in 1st. As of today , it's in 1st in games and that makes 0 sense to me.. it makes Flappy Birds look amazing - tho I will admit Flappy Birds is simple and polished. Red Ball is just sloppy all over, layout, graphics, collision, animations, no gamecenter.. mind = blown

Not sure if I'm reading the App Annie stats, but he's made something like 400k since December or so.. and since 2012 over 3 mill.. no way.

And I can't make $40 over 3 months on a game 100x better and nearly as simple
  • GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197
    Yea this person is either doing something fishy or he's really lucky. But then again people love quick mobile games because of the nature of being on the go.
    Give it a try, I dare ya ;)
  • @TouchiMedia Thats insane I love AppAnnie but aha yea not to sure about getting it anymore!
  • @Brenton222 I know right its so true yet weird that it is like that.
    It's odd cause my App , I marketed as being simple, easy, quick.. for on the go sessions that only take 60 seconds.. yet has pretty in-depth scoring.. then this sloppy mess takes top spot in app store with hundreds of thousands of dollars? Feel like I'm in the Twilight zone.. It's very strange, must be a kid of an employee at apple or something haha, that's the only way I can make sense of it.. or a hacker
  • Right i don't know its confusing @TouchiMedia
  • mcrtommcrtom Member, PRO Posts: 147
    Got to say, I've loved every bit of this thread. The links have padded it out to at least 40 minutes.
  • Aha thanks @mcrtom just pointing out some facts though!
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    Got to say, I've loved every bit of this thread. The links have padded it out to at least 40 minutes.
    how about more:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=218389

and this one show more of Mateen's past:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=124583

Theres no way this crap game got in the top 10 without some sort of scam and I think because every one is focused on Flappy Bird, it's getting over looked and if this is allowed then you can so goodbye to any chance you will ever have of having success on the app store. because it will become the norm AGAIN and only those with money will dominate the charts.
  • GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197
    Wow. Crazy.

That paypal scam really clears this up for me. Where there's smoke there's fire.
  • motorcycle boymotorcycle boy Member Posts: 429
    Seems this person definitely is versed in unethical methods of having this game sky rocket to the top. It's not even his! I would think the person who actually created this template could let Apple know and also take some legal action right? I mean if it's a straight copy of a template including all art, sounds, etc, isn't that copyright infringement? I suppose it also depends if the maker of the template has a copyright. I don't know how the law applies to apps.
    I think he even has his own Flappy Bird, LOL

http://www.appdecide.com/app/ios/adventures-of-birdie/568868771/

and same game under even a different developer name.

http://www.iosnoops.com/appinfo/adventures-of-birdie-for-iphone/568868771
    edited February 2014
    I would love to know how much money he has made off this because I will give him credit he knows how to play the App stores,lol..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mateen.ball

and

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apphappygames.redbouncingballspikes
    As much as I hate hackers, it's pretty impressive they can manipulate huge companies' program to basically rip thousands of dollars ++ and possibly be set for life--
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    edited February 2014
    I can't say I appreciate the intuitiveness. A fraud is a fraud no matter how you look at it and I find it utterly despicable. Especially when there are those of us who devote day in and day out creating games and reaching to try and just get that break. Then comes along frauds and con-artists that bulls**t the system. If I'm to be honest, I think Apple should retain the revenue that game makes and pay it out to the template creator. Since he used his work in the first place. A proverbial b*t*h slap and I would hope it would cost this con-artist thousands of dollars he likely spent cheating the system. Give him doubts about doing this again.

Also, lol at: "It is, for want of a more eloquent term, a piece of !@#$%. " -Kotaku
    ^^^My sentiments exactly.^^^
    It's surprising that Apple, a billion dollar company, hasn't investigated this earlier. It's been in top 5 for at least a week now.. And anyone who has played knows it's a glitchfest and not worthy of even a top 200 App. I would think they'd at least monitor the top 10 for scammers... as I highly doubt this made any apple feature list legitly, that a lone should raise red flags.

I'm not commending their fraud. I just think it's crazy how one person can basically cheat a billion dollar company, Apple .. and probably Google.
    edited February 2014
    I can't say I appreciate the intuitiveness. A fraud is a fraud no matter how you look at it and I find it utterly despicable. Especially when there are those of us who devote day in and day out creating games and reaching to try and just get that break. Then comes along frauds and con-artists that bulls**t the system. If I'm to be honest, I think Apple should retain the revenue that game makes and pay it out to the template creator. Since he used his work in the first place. A proverbial b*t*h slap and I would hope it would cost this con-artist thousands of dollars he likely spent cheating the system. Give him doubts about doing this again.

Also, lol at: "It is, for want of a more eloquent term, a piece of !@#$%. " -Kotaku
    ^^^My sentiments exactly.^^^
    Don't get me wrong. I agree I can only hope for any success on my current game I've been working on for over a year, and to see this in the top ten!..Well thats why I started looking at who it was and made the post above that something was fishy and it seems to be spreading now…So we will see if Apple does anything at all.

But I'd still like to know how much was made on this game just being in the top 10 and #1 at times.
  • ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327
    I don't get that site... there are app on there for sale for $1m+ that have limited downloads and projected revenue in the low 4 figures.

Am I missing something? :D Anyone wants to buy my games for $1m+ they're more than welcome to...
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    Lol that doesn't surprise me at all. Whomever is stupid enough to buy that will just get f'd over. From what I can tell, Mateen and this guy are one in the same. Just an alias because of Mateen having such a bad rap. Assuming all the reports on numerous forums are correct about him scamming people for 100's to thousands of dollars, there really should be some investigations into him. If there isn't, I can't comprehend why a children's lemonade stands are squashed out in seconds, yet con-artists scam people all day in peace. Call me crazy, but I think stealing is a far worse crime than selling lemonade without a permit.

On a side note, more pertaining to the game at hand. I don't understand Apple allowing this to continue either. I'm astonished it doesn't seem they are monitoring their top lists. Unless of course they are ok with whatever bribery method he is utilizing. If it continues it will likely result in a backlash. Be it bad press or developers getting pissed. Really they are just reinforcing the floating theory that you can buy your way into a top spot.

On another side note. There is a reason why he is selling it so quickly after it achieving "success". He is most likely dumping money into it to keep it afloat in a top spot. I can't imagine anyone buying the game on the market and not immediately seeking a refund. It also explains the astonishingly low ratings for something that high in rankings. The moment someone buys it, it will likely crash to the bottom of the market and return to virtually no sales. Obviously because no more money is being dumped in it to hold it's ranking. Can you say, "market manipulation"?
    https://www.apptopia.com/listings/6656-top-5-app-10-00-a-day#notes

Seller Notes
    Louis Leidenfrost
    This app is in the top 5 in overall paid apps on the app store making $10,000 a day! On Febuary 5th and 6th it was the #2 app in overall paid section with very little promotions. 50,000 downloads in less than a week.

We are willing to negotiate.

Nice...
    edited February 2014
    He has listed in App description over 100 levels, but there's barely 30.. Right there someone should sue his ass for false advertising haha

He also has 'will you beat the red ball or will the red ball beat you'

Obviously everyone who fell for his hack of an App has had the red ball run them over.
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    It's surprising that Apple, a billion dollar company, hasn't investigated this earlier. It's been in top 5 for at least a week now.. And anyone who has played knows it's a glitchfest and not worthy of even a top 200 App. I would think they'd at least monitor the top 10 for scammers... as I highly doubt this made any apple feature list legitly, that a lone should raise red flags.
    I'm surprised about Apple, too, but I suspect they are weighing their profits (hmm, if that app sells $500,000 then we make $150,000) against perhaps... oh what would you call them? Ethics.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• That is crazy i don't know what people see in that app. For starters the ball doesn't even rotate. I just don't understand..
This discussion has been closed.