Anyone else seen the Giant Red Ball app on Apple?

Comments

• TouchiMediaTouchiMedia Member Posts: 154
    Yeah I'm pretty lenient when it comes to Apps. But that game is one of the worse I have ever played.. so it's definitely not legit. There's a laundry list of issues it has..
  • ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327
    Yeah I'm pretty lenient when it comes to Apps. But that game is one of the worse I have ever played.. so it's definitely not legit. There's a laundry list of issues it has..
    Be sure to request a refund then. Apple are pretty good about giving them, and this guy shouldn't get your money.
  • GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197
    As unethical as I think this is. He probably spent money on his own app to boost it, rather than hacking. I don't see how anyone will be able to prevent that or prove criminality unless it's in regard to him trying to scam people over the internet.

I doubt Apple has a clause in the terms of agreement that prevent developers from buying their own app.
  • bjandthekatzbjandthekatz Orlando, FlMember Posts: 1,375
    edited February 2014
    Seems this person definitely is versed in unethical methods of having this game sky rocket to the top. It's not even his! I would think the person who actually created this template could let Apple know and also take some legal action right? I mean if it's a straight copy of a template including all art, sounds, etc, isn't that copyright infringement? I suppose it also depends if the maker of the template has a copyright. I don't know how the law applies to apps.
    @dreichelt I am the maker of this template. When I sell my templates, unless otherwise stated, you can use the art, code and sounds for whatever you want. (Except reselling as your own template)
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    @Brenton222

I wasn't saying him getting this application in a top spot as being criminal. I am referring to Mateen (in which they may be the same person) and the scams he is running that are all over numerous forums as being criminal.

If you were referring to my post that is.
  • GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197
    @FallacyStudios

I'm not saying it is either. That was in reply to others who thought that he could have maybe "hacked" Apple and Google to get to the top.

I really don't see that being the case.
    @ Brenton222 -- Apple doesn't allow users to buy more then once from a single account (pretty positive). Theoretically - only one account per person. I'm sure it's somewhere in their licensing/terms of agreement documents.

If you read other articles, there's methods of masking your IP, getting bots to use fake accounts and download in order to boost 'downloads' and be more visibly seen. This in essence is indeed hacking. Which is more then likely what they did rather then just download over and over using one account.
    Yea. I lean more toward the theory that he dumped a bunch of money into it to get it to that spot. Ironically if he is Manteen that is probably money he gained from scamming people lol. In any case, it really is the only explainable reason that he would have a top spot on the market with so few ratings, no marketing, and with a bad app to boot. Generally ratings and downloads rise at a similar rate. For it to have tons of downloads and virtually no ratings just doesn't make any sense. Not to mention that it is so horribly made that there is no other explainable reason for it to get to a top spot over night.

To be honest, I doubt he realizes how in over his head he is if this is what he did. Most likely why he is selling it asap. Most people that download it and see how bad it is are more than likely seeking refunds. Last I checked, Apple keeps their cut regardless of refunds. So if he invested $50,000 to get it to that spot for example, he may find that he only gets $25,000 of his original investment back.
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    Well if it's not Mateen then I guess his account got hacked again "cough"..any way he just uploaded too Google Play a few days ago under his name, if that is his real name,lol.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mateen.ball
    only half price now! this is your change. buy it now!
    https://www.apptopia.com/listings/6656-top-5-app-10-000-a-day
    What a steal! Down to $250,000! ;)
    Lol. That suggests we are right about it then. If it was a legitimate hit he would have all the leverage, especially if it was truly earning $10k a day. At that rate he would easily make the $250k in 25 days if it was legit of course. He is looking to have someone quickly buy it so he can get out from under it and all its costs to keep at the top. Keep an eye on it. He will probably continue dropping the price until he suckers someone into buying it.
    I'd hope anyone that even thinks about buying it would test it.. in which case, be pretty obvious that it ain't worth a penny.
  • Exactly if I was anyone wanting to buy it id go look for a video about it or something like that. So how did he get his app up there did he pay to have it in the top charts?
  • motorcycle boymotorcycle boy Member Posts: 429
    That is crazy i don't know what people see in that app. For starters the ball doesn't even rotate. I just don't understand..
    People are just going to buy it because it's sin the top slot. Social proof is one of the strongest selling points. Since apparently everyone else is buying it, it must be good. I believe that's the mindset for any app in the top 100 whether it's good or bad. It is what it is. I mean, Mcdonalds most likely has no actual cow meat in its hamburgers, but it's very visible so people will go there as long as they can see it in droves.
  • motorcycle boymotorcycle boy Member Posts: 429
    Seems this person definitely is versed in unethical methods of having this game sky rocket to the top. It's not even his! I would think the person who actually created this template could let Apple know and also take some legal action right? I mean if it's a straight copy of a template including all art, sounds, etc, isn't that copyright infringement? I suppose it also depends if the maker of the template has a copyright. I don't know how the law applies to apps.
    @dreichelt I am the maker of this template. When I sell my templates, unless otherwise stated, you can use the art, code and sounds for whatever you want. (Except reselling as your own template)
    @bjandthekatz Ah, I had no idea.
  • @dreichelt haha exactly so when your app is visible on the charts your basically golden at that point!
  • @mcrtom I like how they said how much they spent to make the game and that there was hardly any changes to it at all
    @mcrtom I like how they said how much they spent to make the game and that there was hardly any changes to it at all
    My favorite part :p

• @bjandthekatz Im surprised that you did not get any credit what so ever
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited February 2014
    Well if it's not Mateen then I guess his account got hacked again "cough"..any way he just uploaded too Google Play a few days ago under his name, if that is his real name,lol.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mateen.ball
    @BBEnk I confirmed earlier in this thread that it is Mateen: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/447835/#Comment_447835

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

@Single_Team_Productions I usually don't expect credit, even though it would be nice. I haven't downloaded the game due to the bad reviews and fishy chart-boosting allegations to look at the credits page or try it out. The Guardian did include a link in their article with credit to my template on the marketplace though.
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    @Single_Team_Productions I usually don't expect credit, even though it would be nice. I haven't downloaded the game due to the bad reviews and fishy chart-boosting allegations to look at the credits page or try it out. The Guardian did include a link in their article with credit to my template on the marketplace though.
    More then likly he's selling that template as his own..
    I'd be kind of irritated if I was Gamesalad only because it kind of makes it seem like they have a sub-par program for creating games. The Red Bouncing Ball is so terribly made and is getting a lot of attention (99% negative) -- and it doesn't do anything to reassure folks that you can make very good quality games with Gamesalad.

But I do agree @dreichelt comments - once you get in top charts - most people will just assume it's a very good game (myself included haha).

I actually almost only download games that are featured or in top 10 or so in the Charts. Mostly cause I personally don't have the time to filter out all the crud which is what this game should be in, not in the top million apps for crying out loud!! ;)
  • Yes that is so true. It wouldn't be fair if some people turned against Gamesalad just because of some of the comments.
    I'd be kind of irritated if I was Gamesalad only because it kind of makes it seem like they have a sub-par program for creating games. The Red Bouncing Ball is so terribly made and is getting a lot of attention (99% negative) -- and it doesn't do anything to reassure folks that you can make very good quality games with Gamesalad.
    I have to agree with this. The fact that a game with such horrible ratings suddenly skyrocked to the top of the charts, which consists of nothing more than a template with a pause button, could cause some reputation problems with GameSalad.

While on the contrary it could bring some new revenue to GameSalad. If people think it's as easy as purchasing a template, adding a few levels, publishing and getting into the top charts there might be a boost of members in the community.
  • His website link works now!! If you click on it it will go to his weebly website.
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    His website link works now!! If you click on it it will go to his weebly website.
    Lol! It just gets better and better:
    We work on perfection for every app we release...

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

I hope he checks that gmail email account… lol
This discussion has been closed.