Anyone else seen the Giant Red Ball app on Apple?

Comments

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I have to agree with this. The fact that a game with such horrible ratings suddenly skyrocked to the top of the charts, which consists of nothing more than a template with a pause button, could cause some reputation problems with GameSalad.
    Agreed, this is only going to damage GameSalad's reputation.

I'd like to think that people will blame the person and not the tool ;)

I'd like to think that too, but GameSalad is getting named a fair bit in the various reports an articles.

The tone of the Guardian article almost gave me the impression that they thought GameSalad was somehow implicated in this dastardly scheme :)) mentioning "GameSalad" by name no less than six times.

And nothing says 'guilty!' more than ending an article like this:

"Neither GameSalad nor the developer of Red Bouncing Ball Spikes, Louis Leidenfrost, responded to requests for comment."
    I hope that the management is looking into this and the multiple accounts used to publish with and will shut the guy down.

Any hassle they can give him would be good, even if it just slows him down a bit :)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• Someone go check the App Store I don't know if his name changed or I'm just crazy
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Someone go check the App Store I don't know if his name changed or I'm just crazy
    The 'copyright' is the same as a known 'Mateen' company - he's not very good at covering his tracks, or he just doesn't care.

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• The copyright name for me says heavenly design apps
  • What the hell!!!! #6 under different name, what happened?
  • That guy has 2 game in top paid now.
    A lot of people said use Bots, what Bots mean?
    Can anybody tell?
  • Exactly thats what I was saying he went from #17 to #6 in not even an hour
  • What he doing to the App Store now?
  • I know its really weird whats going on. His website link takes you to a website to gain followers for twitter and Instagram
  • GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197
    edited February 2014
    He either actually sold it along with his company (lol), or he's really... not smart.

Can't wait until the "Big red flapping candy king bird ball copyright spike crush saga" is over.

Edit: On the other hand. What's the character limit on app names? >-)
  • Team6LabsTeam6Labs Member Posts: 541
    So what exactly has he done wrong?
    He appears to be staying within the license of the template.
    You can't convict someone without evidence.
  • bjandthekatzbjandthekatz Orlando, FlMember Posts: 1,375
    He appears to be staying within the license of the template.
    You can't convict someone without evidence.
    He is suspected of using a bot service to increase the amount of downloads, thus increasing the chart position.
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited February 2014
    It's likely he's gamed the App Store to get his app high into the charts (most likely through the method posted by tatiang ( http://m.tuaw.com/2014/01/10/the-strange-shady-world-of-1-000-ios-apps/ ) - once the app is then lodged in the top 10, people will buy it assuming it got there because it's a great game, only to discover (after handing over their money) that's it's just an unworked template with placeholder graphics and little in the way of gameplay.

So he's probably done nothing illegal, just unscrupulous.

Plus he's got 'previous' going back at least 4 years on this forum alone.
  • Exactly everything just seems really weird
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    OMG, So I take a few hours nap I wake up and Red Bouncing Ball Spike is now the "Most Anticipated game of 2014 now comes to iPad" and now available under two different names, lol Apple is a JOKE..
  • Last few hours #6, now #4. Why so fast!
    How he did it!!!
    He now has them both under the same name "Oscar Pineiro"..
  • DenimSharkDenimShark Member Posts: 192
    App store might say oscar piniero but appannie has it under mateen pekan currently. Seeing tons of other games under his profile too.

As for the bot downloading theory, it is in fact against apples terms... Any means of manipulating app ranking is cause for termination of the account
  • DenimSharkDenimShark Member Posts: 192
    Also, what he was doing was moving the app from one account to another. Using a useless account to test black hat ranking techniques, then moving to a legit account so he can use real banking info to cash out and so forth
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

edited February 2014
    Oscar's second game "Fall Ball Fall" is not ranked #174 I see another hit coming.
    Fall Ball Fall now #101
  • Has anyone tried to report him at all? That's insane I wanna know what he's doing
    Red Bouncing Ball Spike HD the iPad version just hit #200 on the top 200..
  • What is he doing to apple now..
  • DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159
    edited February 2014
    This could not have been "missed" by Apple....really weird. Something fishy going on [-X
    Has anyone tried to report him at all? That's insane I wanna know what he's doing
    People have been reporting him for years now, for all sorts of scams, taking people's games (Tshirtbooth amongst others on this forum) and uploading them to the App Store under his own name, 'selling' the rights to games (which might not have been his in the first place) for hundreds / thousands of dollars then once he has the money refusing to deliver the files unless he gets the same amount of cash again, if you complain he tells you to open up a dispute with PayPal (in the meantime he closes down his linked PayPal account and disappears with the cash) . . . this latest scheme is just one in a long line, he's a serial app schemer ! Because of his age (he's under 18) and the fact that he lives in another country (Canada?) it's hard to track him down / sue him / get your money back.
    What the hell!!!! #6 under different name, what happened?
    It's a scam.
    What he doing to the App Store now?
    It's the same scam.
    I know its really weird whats going on.
    It's still the same scam, nothing's changed.
    Exactly everything just seems really weird
    It's probably that scam that everyone's mentioned, he's probably doing that. :))
    Last few hours #6, now #4. Why so fast!
    How he did it!!!
    Why so fast ? I'm not 100% sure! but I'm going to guess it's still the same scam.
    That's insane I wanna know what he's doing
    It's most probably that scam that's been mentioned a dozen times or so.
    What is he doing to apple now..
    Scamming ? Probably the same scam mentioned dozens of times throughout this thread, it's probably that, you know, that scam of his. :))
  • :)) :)) :)) :)) best comment I've seen^^^ :))
    :)) :)) :)) :)) best comment I've seen^^^ :))

;)

(P.S you do know the whole thing is a scam don't you?)
This discussion has been closed.