Windows Creator Nightly 0.12.1 is available

stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435
edited January 2015 in GameSalad Kitchen

Windows Creator Nightly build 0.12.1 is available

Features

• All behaviors missing from Windows Creator 0.10.5 that are in Mac Creator 0.12 have been implemented, with the exception of the network behaviors.
  • New way of previewing your games: The green "play" button uses the native Lua engine, the same as used in Mac Creator. The HTML 5 previewer can still be accessed via the Play button with the orange HTML5 logo next to the Actor dimensions above the scene editor.
  • Along with Creator, the installer includes example projects. By default these will be installed in your documents directory under a "GameSalad Templates" folder.

Known Issues

• The native previewer uses an updated graphics engine that is much faster than the current released engine. However, you MUST have a video card that supports OpenGL 3 or better in order to use it. Currently we do not disable the button if your graphics card does not support OpenGL 3, we will in the final release. Using the native previewer on a computer that does not support OpenGL 3 may result in Windows Creator crashing.
  • While the Show Ad behavior still exists, it has been deprecated in favor of the Show Banner behavior, and will be removed in a future release. If you use Show Ad in your project, please change the behavior to Show Banner.
  • There is a known bug where if you use the new native previewer, and then try to use the old web previewer, Windows Creator will crash. Please shut down Creator and restart if you want to switch between the previewers.

Report Any Bugs If you find bugs in the build, let us know! We'll be watching the forums, support tickets and bug database for info on this.

Thanks for your help!

Download the the bulid here:

http://gamesalad.com/download/releases

Scroll down until you see "Releases for Windows" or "Releases for Windows (Offline Setup)"

[edit] added issue about the previewer switching crash.

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Looks like an excellent build for the windows group! Great job!

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@stevej‌, been playing with this for a couple of hours now.

What a change! <3

The previewer purrs regardless what you throw at it. Nice work.

The legacy HTML 5 viewer does not support the new v12 functions though? Or will it?

• bloodnitebloodnite Member Posts: 50
    edited December 2014

Any big risks in upgrading to this build and my projects breaking? edit - using WC 10.5 pro

• sysadssysads Member Posts: 146

Finally something good is about to happen

• wcsd9739wcsd9739 Member Posts: 37
    edited December 2014

The previewer is pretty whacked up for me, although I'm not sure if my video card supports OpenGL 3 or whatever.
    Otherwise, all the new behaviors and fixes are great!

Also, is there going to be Change Scene to index like on the Mac version...? Cuz that's really helpful :P

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

yes, an please file bug with us if we missed any compatibility with Mac 12

• diogoredindiogoredin Member Posts: 50

How about fixing the Social Network Post behavior?

• Meta_XMeta_X Member Posts: 7

Awesome! Any idea when we can expect the full release? :smiley:

• entpentp Member, PRO Posts: 2
    edited January 2015

I highly appreciate the efforts to upgrade the windows creator. With big hope I am going to test it out. Thanks!

• entpentp Member, PRO Posts: 2
    edited January 2015

Update: I can not install the creator properly. During setup process, after it says something like "changing windows firewall options", the installer crashes (I tried both, online & offline installer).

Hope there will be a stable release of the windows creator available soon.

CustomAction OpenServerPort returned actual error code 1 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox) Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action OpenServerPort, location: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIEB43.tmp, command: /RunAsAdmin /HideWindow "C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp\openserverportnightly.cmd" MSI (s) (34:78) [06:25:22:122]: Product: GameSalad Creator Nightly Build -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action OpenServerPort, location: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIEB43.tmp, command: /RunAsAdmin /HideWindow "C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp\openserverportnightly.cmd"

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@entp said:
    Update: I can not install the creator properly. During setup process, after it says something like "changing windows firewall options", the installer crashes (I tried both, online & offline installer).

Hope there will be a stable release of the windows creator available soon.

CustomAction OpenServerPort returned actual error code 1 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox) Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action OpenServerPort, location: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIEB43.tmp, command: /RunAsAdmin /HideWindow "C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp\openserverportnightly.cmd" MSI (s) (34:78) [06:25:22:122]: Product: GameSalad Creator Nightly Build -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action OpenServerPort, location: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIEB43.tmp, command: /RunAsAdmin /HideWindow "C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp\openserverportnightly.cmd"

Windows Creator needs to a) open a server port, and b) act as a http server in order to allow communication with the iOS and Android viewers. Try running as administrator and disabling any virus checkers or similar software while installing.

@Meta_X said:
    Awesome! Any idea when we can expect the full release? :smiley:

Sometime this year. :)

• zolnier@hotmail.comzolnier@hotmail.com Member, PRO Posts: 25

I'm having strange behavior with table functions...

So I loaded a work-in-progress project in this new Windows Creator version and all of my table functions are not working. I was using the 0.10.5 version prior to this...

I added a DisplayText behavior with the tableCellValue(game.tblNames,1,2) and now it doesn't show anything, where it used to show the appropriate table value FYI, tblNames is an imported CSV file, which shows up populated in the table editor...

Is there something new I should be aware of? I really need to get this resolved ASAP!

FYI, I'm using the web preview... It seems like the Native preview only works for me sporadically... It's a bit frustrating...

So, it appears that I have to run the nightly build as administrator for everything to work.. Is that expected?

Also, why don't any of my scenes show up at the bottom when I run the preview in Native mode?

Okay, so I spoke too soon... When running the nightly build as an administrator, the first time I run the web preview, all of the table functions seem fine, but when I go back to the editor and then try to run the web preview again, no table functions seem to work... What's going on???

@zolnier@hotmail.com said:
    So, it appears that I have to run the nightly build as administrator for everything to work.. Is that expected?

Also, why don't any of my scenes show up at the bottom when I run the preview in Native mode?

The scene list hasn't been implemented yet, I'll be working on that next week. :)

@zolnier@hotmail.com said:
    Okay, so I spoke too soon... When running the nightly build as an administrator, the first time I run the web preview, all of the table functions seem fine, but when I go back to the editor and then try to run the web preview again, no table functions seem to work... What's going on???

Please file a bug report for this. If you can include a simple example project where this is happening, that would be great.

Sample project attached. The first time I preview it, the actor displays "1" but the second time, the actor is blank... Please fix this ASAP as I am stuck until this is resolved...

Where do I file a bug report?

Bug submitted

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

Does the Windows version also produce on-device builds that consistently crash out of memory like the Mac version, or is it working properly?

• ookami007ookami007 Member Posts: 581

First... THANK YOU! This is great!

Second... Well, it would be great... but... the preview doesn't seem to work. I have the latest NVidia drivers which support up to OpenGL 4.5

All I get when I try to preview is a black screen on the previewer window.

Any ideas?

• ookami007ookami007 Member Posts: 581

Here's another question. When clicking on color for an actor, I get a pop-up for the default windows colors and no way to set the transparency. Will the color picker be replaced by the old color picker where we can set the values independently?

• SilentBobSilentBob Austin, TXMember, Chef Emeritus Posts: 20

@ookami007 said:
    First... THANK YOU! This is great!

Second... Well, it would be great... but... the preview doesn't seem to work. I have the latest NVidia drivers which support up to OpenGL 4.5

All I get when I try to preview is a black screen on the previewer window.

Any ideas?

Please generate MSInfo and DXDiag reports for your computer and send them to us via support ticket.
    Thanks.

• readyAIMplayreadyAIMplay Member Posts: 2

Sorry if this info is elsewhere but I have yet to find it. So, personally I love the UI layout and nav of the Windows version vs the Mac...seems so much organized and ...well better thought out...so MY Question is will that change in the new Windows version? Knowing both setups are trying to get on the same page Im afraid that means the new Win will look and nav like the Mac version. Hope not so if anyone knows please let me know....THX!

@readyAIMplay said:
    Sorry if this info is elsewhere but I have yet to find it. So, personally I love the UI layout and nav of the Windows version vs the Mac...seems so much organized and ...well better thought out...so MY Question is will that change in the new Windows version? Knowing both setups are trying to get on the same page Im afraid that means the new Win will look and nav like the Mac version. Hope not so if anyone knows please let me know....THX!

Not sure what you mean by the new Windows version. If you mean Graphene, that's a completely new interface for both Windows and Mac. If you mean Windows Creator 0.12 (and further), the interface will be staying the same (although we do hope to improve its performance).

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

@readyAIMplay‌ I also prefer the Windows layout, especially being able to detach the backstage panel to a second monitor. I'm currently using Mac as I need the latest release for functionality but would switch to Windows if it was up to date.

• bloodnitebloodnite Member Posts: 50

So one question I have is... if I use the Mac version, can I publish games for Android/Amazon? Or only iOS?