Windows Creator Nightly 0.12.1 is available

Comments

• ookami007ookami007 Member Posts: 581

I'm having table issues with the Nightly Build. Any fix for it?

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@bloodnite said:
    So one question I have is... if I use the Mac version, can I publish games for Android/Amazon? Or only iOS?

You can publish to all those app stores with a mac.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• bloodnitebloodnite Member Posts: 50

@Lovejoy said:
    You can publish to all those app stores with a mac.

Awesome - I may need to buy a crappy mac in order to get the latest features then... mainly interested in Ad integration...

Also, do we have ANY timetable for the full release? This does solve a number of issues I was having with my current app... although it does create some new issues - especially with tables.

• readyAIMplayreadyAIMplay Member Posts: 2

@stevej said:
    Not sure what you mean by the new Windows version. If you mean Graphene, that's a completely new interface for both Windows and Mac. If you mean Windows Creator 0.12 (and further), the interface will be staying the same (although we do hope to improve its performance).

Thx that pretty much answered my question. Although I have not read up on all the details on Graphene, I am assuming its to replace the entire system for both Win/Mac. Im hoping with Graphene I can resume work that Im doing with the current Win build. I seem to get bogged down and sluggish, even seen some weird bugs happening, after some time working and have to restart Creator...hope when this game is published my users wont experience same issues.

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@ookami007 said:
    Also, do we have ANY timetable for the full release? This does solve a number of issues I was having with my current app... although it does create some new issues - especially with tables.

We had hoped to have a release out by the end of January. However, Apple's requirement to support 64-bit binaries has delayed the Windows release by a couple of weeks due to having to work on that. Everybody say "Thanks, Apple!".

@ookami007 said:
    I'm having table issues with the Nightly Build. Any fix for it?

If you've submitted a bug report on your issue, we will be working on it. If you haven't, please go to http://bugs.gamesalad.com and enter a bug report so we (and you) will be able to track it.

• wcsd9739wcsd9739 Member Posts: 37

@stevej said:
    We had hoped to have a release out by the end of January. However, Apple's requirement to support 64-bit binaries has delayed the Windows release by a couple of weeks due to having to work on that. Everybody say "Thanks, Apple!".

Thanks, Apple! :triumph:

Thanks, *@!$^% @# @#$% Apple

• ogreofwartogreofwart Hello Everybody on the Gamesalad Planet. I come in peace, warts'n'all!!! Lancashire UKMember Posts: 281

Apple Shmapple,
    Bu@$&R apple, I want my new shiny GS build with all the trimmings.
    I'm waiting very, very patiently but am on the verge of bursting :s

• solacetechsolacetech Member, PRO Posts: 5

@bloodnite said:
    So one question I have is... if I use the Mac version, can I publish games for Android/Amazon? Or only iOS?

The Mac Version does it all.

@solacetech said:

Yeah - I'm debating if I should continue waiting for the Windows version to be updated, or just buy a $100 Mac laptop to use the PRO mac version...

@bloodnite said:

It would be surprising if you can even watch a youtube video in a $100 mac laptop, let alone run GS.

@Lovejoy said:
    It would be surprising if you can even watch a youtube video in a $100 mac laptop, let alone run GS.

OS x lion, 2gb ram, etc - looking for a glimmer of hope on ebay :)

@bloodnite said:
    OS x lion, 2gb ram, etc - looking for a glimmer of hope on ebay

Just don't set yourself up for failure for the near future by going too cheap. Apple has requirements on what product can be upgraded to the latest Xcode and OS X, which are required in game development.

@bloodnite said:
    Yeah - I'm debating if I should continue waiting for the Windows version to be updated, or just buy a $100 Mac laptop to use the PRO mac version...

I don't know what your schedule is, but our goal is to have both Mac and Windows Creators be 100% compatible in the 1st half of this year.

• Have the table issues been fixed that are mentioned in this thread? Just wondering if I should download or wait. Thank you!

They haven't released a newer version (still 0.12.1), so no... same issue with tables.

• Thank you @ookami007, I appreciate your response. I need to go Pro in order to see the latest available... just putting that off until necessary. Thanks again!

@bethany@crazyaboutthemouse.com said:
    Have the table issues been fixed that are mentioned in this thread? Just wondering if I should download or wait. Thank you!

We know about the problem, but unfortunately haven't had the time to fix it yet due to more pressing issues. We will be getting to it as soon as we can.

@bloodnite - There ARE virtual macs you can get for a few bucks ($10) a month. It would give you access to the latest OS and probably be better than a $100 mac.

@stevej - ANY timeline on the updates? My development is on HOLD waiting for the update to Windows... I think it's been almost 6 months since it was promised. I understand that Mac users are your number one priority and Windows users are red-headed step children, but still... it's kind of getting ridiculous at this point. 6 months waiting is half of my yearly subscription... and somehow, I don't think you're going to extend that because of "more pressing issues".

@ookami007 said:
    bloodnite - There ARE virtual macs you can get for a few bucks ($10) a month. It would give you access to the latest OS and probably be better than a $100 mac.

stevej - ANY timeline on the updates? My development is on HOLD waiting for the update to Windows... I think it's been almost 6 months since it was promised. I understand that Mac users are your number one priority and Windows users are red-headed step children, but still... it's kind of getting ridiculous at this point. 6 months waiting is half of my yearly subscription... and somehow, I don't think you're going to extend that because of "more pressing issues".

Currently the best time estimate I can give is in the 1st half of this year. The decision to insert the 0.13/FireTV release into the schedule has pushed back both the planned Mac and Windows builds. We do plan on adding some bonus features to the Windows build on release (which unfortunately I can't discuss at the moment).

@stevej - I gotta say... I think the priorities need to be looked at. I can't say that FireTV is an important enough market - the sales statistics on games for FireTV are very minor! Compare that to releasing a good version of Windows Creator to allow in app purchases, etc.

so my 2 cents is that I don't care about extra features to make the wait worth it. All that means to me is further delays. I just want to be able to serve ads and do in-app purchases with the Windows version.

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@ookami007 said:
    stevej - I gotta say... I think the priorities need to be looked at. I can't say that FireTV is an important enough market - the sales statistics on games for FireTV are very minor! Compare that to releasing a good version of Windows Creator to allow in app purchases, etc.

It's not Steve's call, it's a business decision. I'm not able to elaborate, but suffice it to say we're fully aware of the importance of PC and it's not going to be ignored.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

@dgackey said:

Thanks!

@dgackey said:
    It's not Steve's call, it's a business decision. I'm not able to elaborate, but suffice it to
    say we're fully aware of the importance of PC and it's not going to be ignored.

No offense, but I can't even BEGIN to believe that GameSalad believes in the "importance of PC". I noticed that there is a new version for Mac... oh... and a nifty new contest/chance for extra months of Pro that ONLY MAC USERS can take advantage of.

So far, I have only seen PC users treated as second class citizens and honestly... it's really pissing me off. Every time ANYTHING comes up... everyone gets pulled off the PC version and put on changes for the Mac version.... 12.1 for PC was due back in the early fall of last year... 4 months later a nightly comes out that has so many bugs it's unusable - especially the tables bug. And then we're told the new version of the PC should be released "the first half of this year"... which in GameSalad PC years is like 2017.

I REALLY wanted to like GameSalad, but the one sided support is so insulting that I'm having to look into other options for my development. It's sad... I see the potential in GameSalad... just not the enthusiasm for the PC version. It's ALL ABOUT MAC... there is NO LOVE for PC... and I can't see that EVER changing.

I personally loved it when I first started learning GameSalad. So much so, I wanted to teach a course on it at the two colleges I teach at. BUT... I wanted to wait until the new version came out... well... that came and went... and my curriculum remains untaught because GameSalad has proved time and time again that the PC version takes a backseat to Mac. That FireTV (SERIOUSLY?! NO GAMING MARKET SHARE! LOOK AT THE STATS!) is more important than PC. That pretty much ANYTHING is more important the PC.

Prove me wrong. I would love it! ALL OF US PC USERS WOULD LOVE IT!

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

I was a PC game developer for almost 15 years; I'm well aware of the importance of the PC as a platform, and probably the biggest advocate for it in the office. (@BlackcloakGS am I wrong there?)

You wouldn't be wrong to say that PC takes a backseat to Mac -- GameSalad was founded as a Mac product. Our existing userbase has always been more Mac than PC. We have a lot of work to be done and not enough hands to do it. As I said, business decisions.

None of that changes my commitment to PC, though. It's not happening as fast as we'd like it to, but we're headed there. It's something we discuss every single day. And I don't really share your assessment of the latest nightly being unusable -- I believe it's a lot closer to where we need to be than you, but we can agree to disagree.

I'm sorry that you feel so angry and offended by the development priorities, and even more that you feel you need to move on from GS, but I certainly understand. I wish I could wave a wand and make it as it should be, but I can't. All we can do is keep moving towards our goals and try to do what we say we're going to.

I'd like to think we're doing a pretty good job of that the past 18-24 months, but YMMV.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

Like I said... I like the product. But being classified as the red-headed stepchild all the time gets old quickly... REALLY OLD.

I (and the other PC users) certainly appreciate the attention, but it seems haphazard at the best.... and lackadaisical at the worse while we watch Mac update after Mac update... after Mac update... with VERY LITTLE love for PC users.

As far as the 12.1 build goes... have you TRIED to do anything with tables? I have a project that works well with the current release but where tables fail COMPLETELY with 12.1... and yes... I've bug reported it and uploaded my project. No resolution yet despite multiple updates to Mac.

Lots of nifty upgrades in this latest version... I'll be the first one to admit it... but lack of table support is show stopper. Especially for the apps I have waiting.

Just bear in mind... that while your base has been primarily Mac... there ARE more Android users out there than iOS... about 5-10% more according to CNET, CIO and every other serious study. And Mac users account for only 7% of total users while Windows has the VAST marketshare of 90% (according to Wikipedia and my own experience as an IT professional for 30 years).

For the longest time, Apple was the only game in town... then the biggest game in town... but now.. .there's a new Sheriff in town. And it's Android... and it's going to stay Android because of Apple's walled up, "keep it all locked up" approach.

It's the same thing that happened in the 80's/90's... Mac kept everything locked up... the PC let it roam free and the PC triumphed with 95% marketshare. While I think Apple has learned a little from the past...

I REALLY, REALLY hope to see improvements in GameSalad. But my latest app was written in Corona SDK because I just got tired of waiting. I have another app that's almost done in GS but will probably have to get ported to Corona because I'm just tired of waiting... I WANT to believe that you'll take PC users seriously... I just don't see it. I see delay... after delay... after delay.

PROOF ME WRONG. I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU! :wink:

@ookami007 said:
    Like I said... I like the product. But being classified as the red-headed stepchild all the time gets old quickly... REALLY OLD.

I (and the other PC users) certainly appreciate the attention, but it seems haphazard at the best.... and lackadaisical at the worse while we watch Mac update after Mac update... after Mac update... with VERY LITTLE love for PC users.

As far as the 12.1 build goes... have you TRIED to do anything with tables? I have a project that works well with the current release but where tables fail COMPLETELY with 12.1... and yes... I've bug reported it and uploaded my project. No resolution yet despite multiple updates to Mac.

Lots of nifty upgrades in this latest version... I'll be the first one to admit it... but lack of table support is show stopper. Especially for the apps I have waiting.

Just bear in mind... that while your base has been primarily Mac... there ARE more Android users out there than iOS... about 5-10% more according to CNET, CIO and every other serious study. And Mac users account for only 7% of total users while Windows has the VAST marketshare of 90% (according to Wikipedia and my own experience as an IT professional for 30 years).

For the longest time, Apple was the only game in town... then the biggest game in town... but now.. .there's a new Sheriff in town. And it's Android... and it's going to stay Android because of Apple's walled up, "keep it all locked up" approach.

It's the same thing that happened in the 80's/90's... Mac kept everything locked up... the PC let it roam free and the PC triumphed with 95% marketshare. While I think Apple has learned a little from the past...

I REALLY, REALLY hope to see improvements in GameSalad. But my latest app was written in Corona SDK because I just got tired of waiting. I have another app that's almost done in GS but will probably have to get ported to Corona because I'm just tired of waiting... I WANT to believe that you'll take PC users seriously... I just don't see it. I see delay... after delay... after delay.

PROOF ME WRONG. I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU! :wink:

Well, you could try writing Apple/Google/Amazon and tell them to stop changing the rules out from under us. :)