15 day Trial

Is GameSalad no longer free ?
Am I now going to need to pay for making a game and not even have it published ?

Comments

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584
    edited June 2015

Read the 'State of Gamesalad' - its moving to a free trial period then 2 options - $19 for web only publishing or $29 a month for Pro. Both options can be purchased in full too

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

That's right. GameSalad is no longer free. Feel free to try it out and decide if it's right for you!

• The_Un_ForgivenThe_Un_Forgiven Member Posts: 18

Well it was, not anymore.
    Who ever made this choice "will" be fired.
    You will make more money allowing people the tools to use and "LEARN" how to even use the software, then charge for publishing.

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

Hi Unforgivencrew,

You are correct, GameSalad no longer offers a free option. We are focusing on supporting paying customers.

However, the free trial gives you full access to all the functionality of a pro subscription, so you can explore all the tool has to offer.

In addition, the new basic membership level will allow full use of the tool without publishing at a much more affordable price point.

Hope this helps!

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

I think you're the first person to bash on the new system so far!

Of course it's going to make people upset. But the honest truth is, if you are serious about pursuing game development. There are costs. Many costs. This is one is just a small one.

You can even "LEARN" the software by paying for a sub for just a month or two. Also that's why the trial exists.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

Very very very bad business decision.

edited June 2015

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for sharing your opinion!

• ogreofwartogreofwart Hello Everybody on the Gamesalad Planet. I come in peace, warts'n'all!!! Lancashire UKMember Posts: 281

Does this affect selling on the marketplace, do you need to have an active creator account to be a vendor?
    I haven't received a monthly report this month for my selling, is this anything to do with this?
    :*

As part of this new focus, we are also going to be shutting down Marketplace, at least for the foreseeable future.

More on that soon, but the reason you haven't received your statement is because we're preparing to pay out all existing sellers their accrued, unpaid royalties.

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

@dgackey said:
    As part of this new focus, we are also going to be shutting down Marketplace, at least for the foreseeable future.

Thats sad news for us sellesr who cant promote third party sites. Will the rules be relaxed on this then? Truly hope so.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

Who actually owns Gamesalad? The company.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    I think you're the first person to bash on the new system so far!

Of course it's going to make people upset. But the honest truth is, if you are serious about pursuing game development. There are costs. Many costs. This is one is just a small one.

You can even "LEARN" the software by paying for a sub for just a month or two. Also that's why the trial exists.

I didn't think you could do the month by month. Yes pay monthly but subscriptions were only for 12 months terms.......??

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@gingagaming More news very soon on marketplace handling moving forward.

• WebWarriorWebWarrior Member, PRO Posts: 62

@gattoman said:
    I didn't think you could do the month by month. Yes pay monthly but subscriptions were only for 12 months terms.......??

It's fully month-to-month now! The only catch is that you won't have access to Creator (outside of the free trial, of course) without an active subscription.

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    edited June 2015

@GS team Nice. I see that your are getting your ducks in order. It's gonna impact some negatively, but it will thin out the herd so you can focus support for those who are using it.

I kinda figured the marketplace was going to go limbo.

Now worries, I'm looking forward to see what turns up as GS evolves.

Now you better get busy and start firing folks for these whack decisions!!! :O :)

• ogreofwartogreofwart Hello Everybody on the Gamesalad Planet. I come in peace, warts'n'all!!! Lancashire UKMember Posts: 281

Well in this light, when I get paid my dues, it will be, sadly, Adios from me.
    It was fun while it lasted and I'm sorry to go. :'(
    Good luck to all my friends and everybody in the community.
    This is Ogre of Wart signing out.
    Ta ra chucks. :)

How is thinning out the herd a positive thing ?
    You are now eliminating the chance of new developers.
    I have some crazy ideas for some apps, and plenty of others I was going to teach using GS because IT WAS FREE to play with.
    15 days ?
    What can you learn in 15days when you have a job, kids, family, house, business, etc etc etc.
    Im one of these people and I was learning at my own pace, now you want me to pay to learn a software that I may not use for another 6months ?
    You have sure thinned the herd, in a negative way.
    There was a MUCH better solution for you in making money.

Blender (software) was created for users to have the ability to try and learn an advanced programming tool like MIA (software)
    The developers of Blender believed that people should be given the opportunity to show they have what it takes to run with the big boys without sever schooling or training.
    it allowed common folk to dable and create renderings that would only be possible on a program they could not afford. It was open source and gave people a chance.

That was GS, and now thats gone.
    It could have been done a better way.

Oh BTW what happens to my artwork when the marketplace goes belly up?
    If I discover somebody using it without my consent and the only source was GameSalad where do I stand on the rights for my intellectual property?

edited June 2015

@The_Un_Forgiven how can you expect a company to provide you with free software with no return? Gamesalad make money from selling software, why do you think you deserve it for free and that the GS team should work for free to give it to you while you learn? How would you support your family if you had to work for free? You can continue to learn and use the product at JUST $19 a month. It's not a bad deal when you look at it from another angle. Grab a beer and sign up.

@The_Un_Forgiven

It could have been done a better way.

I do agree with this point. A little notice for the non pro users to finish anything up that was started but I suppose that's what the 15 day free trial will allow you to do.

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

OK now for the Million Dollar Question. What does "WEB ONLY" publishing mean in the eyes of the GS Staff?

Please dont tell me people are gonna pay 19$ to be able to put their stuff on that very well known, globally popular site called the Gamesalad arcade. That has only one screen size.

Or does this mean GS has stepped up and truly beefed up their definition of what HTML5 really means. And are releasing a new HTML 5 upgrade? A upgrade that that will allow independent files. NON-iFrame hosting, etc etc.

Oh and does that mean you are finally coming out of Beta? GameSalad Creator 1.0?

edited June 2015

@gingagaming Im to assume you didn't read the whole post now did you?
    There is MUCH better ways to get a return out of this, my apologizes if your math skills are not adequate enough to figure out another way.
    League of Legends is a 100% free game and it is a game that is the benchmark for video game sports.
    There're THOUSANDS of FTP games out their that have a much larger over head then what GS ever would.
    Your fight is invalid.
    Just because GS is not a game, doesn't mean it can generate money like a game.
    Their is a much better way than a sub, games like WoW that have subs are dieing bro, now GS will too.

• As_Of_LatteAs_Of_Latte Member, BASIC Posts: 343

If you guys came out of beta, that'd be too legit! B)

edited June 2015

@The_Un_Forgiven You know that the say about the word assume....

And only one of us looks an as s right now. Enjoy your 15 day trial.

@gingagaming I have no intentions of using GS anymore lol.
    Why would I waste 15 days on something I wont subscribe too, if anything I feel as if GS owes me for the time I wasted in getting to know something that I had absolutely no intentions of buying UNTIL I actually finished an app, I would have been a lifer here.

Why fix something that wasn't broken?

I said it once ill say it again. Im asking this cause I honestly dont know the answer. Why would someone pay 199$ a year to have their game on the GS Arcade? The GS Arcade has not become some universal site for the public to play games. The people publishing to the GS Arcade are not getting paid to have thier games on the GS Arcade. The only benefit to the GS Arcade is that it advertises its visitors to learn about this cool program called the GameSalad Creator. So in all actuality People are paying GS 199$ a year to advertise for GS.

Ill ask again. What financial gain is there to the person paying GS to publish and advertise for GS, on the GS Arcade?

@The_Un_Forgiven said:
    gingagaming I have no intentions of using GS anymore lol.

So why waste your time ranting? Just move on

Why would I waste 15 days on something I wont subscribe too, if anything I feel as if GS owes me for the time I wasted in getting to know something that I had absolutely no intentions of buying UNTIL I actually finished an app, I would have been a lifer here.

As I said before, they could have given you guys some notice. It was a poor move on GS behalf to just do this with no real notice.

GS is broken. They have announced that they are not hitting financial targets and too many users are not paying for the software. By making this change they are effectively fixing the issue (or at least hope to!)

@gingagaming Why waste my time ranting?
    1. Im relly good at rating, giving very viable and valid points.
    2. I REALLY like GS and hope they change their mind and find a proper solution to fix this problem.
    3. You mad bro?

So your Freelance GS Dev, whats that suppose to be? Was it your idea for this change? They should now fire you when you just fully 100% contradicted yourself with (or at least hope to!)
    You just showed me that your not confidant in the decision yourself.

They should hire me instead hahahaha!

I think its time you moved along.

@The_Un_Forgiven said:
    gingagaming I have no intentions of using GS anymore lol.

I don't think Gs owes you anything. You're lucky you got to put 15 days of work in for free on a product that has taken a team of people years to get to this point.

In fact, to prove your point. I think you should develop an app for 5+ years, and spend TONS of money on it... and then release it for 100% free since you are so adamant about this.