State of GameSalad on 6/30/2015...

Comments

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Great stuff going on, kudos to the GS staff and congrats to the wizard.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited July 2015

@CodeWizard said:
    Earlier in May, our CEO stepped down and I've stepped into the role.

He stepped down . . . . or perhaps he 'accidentally' fell out a window ? I think we need to know the truth.

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    edited July 2015

I'll give you three guesses who I am in that clip...

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

@CodeWizard said:

Haha! That was a quick response!

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

OK lets say Im brand new to this GS stuff. I see the Price List. 19/199 or 29/299.

Jan 2nd. I pay 29$ work on Game 1.
    Feb 2nd I pay another 29$. cont work on Game 1.
    March 2nd I pay another 29$ cont work on Game 1.
    March 13th I publish my first game to apple.
    March 23rd Apple approves my game.

Am I done paying GS. Can I walk away and come back in 4 months and Sign up again on July 13th and pay 29$.Start working on game 2.
    August 13th pay 29$ work on game 2.
    Aug 20th submit game to apple.
    Aug 28th Game approved. Dont pay 29$ Sept 13th, because Im done.

Or
    Jan 2nd. I pay 29$ work on Game 1.
    Feb 2nd I pay another 29$. cont work on Game 1.
    March 2nd I pay another 29$ cont work on Game 1.
    March 13th I publish my first game to apple.
    March 23rd Apple approves my game.
    April 2nd.. charge 29$ by GS
    May 2nd..charged 29$ by GS
    June 2nd..charged 29$ by GS

etc etc etc until my 12 month obligation is over.

Scenerio 2. Is the way it was explained to me when GS first came out with a monthly subscription.

is this new "Basic/Pro" system like scenerio 1 or scenerio 2.

Feel free to throw your 2cents in. But I would prefer someone from GS to make a official response.

@FINNBOGG They scraped the other monthly plan, It is now true month to month with no long commitment ( so your example one). Just pay for the month you use.

@FINNBOGG It's really simple. Pay for the months you use. Nothing more. We don't limit your ability to EDIT your games with Basic. Add all the sweet behaviors you want. The only limitation on Basic is that you can't publish to anything but Arcade. So, come back, pay for a month of Pro (which is prorated, by the way) and publish. Then go back to Basic.

Good times!

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@CodeWizard said:
    So, come back, pay for a month of Pro (which is prorated, by the way)

Could you clarify exactly what you mean by this? Could mean a few things in this context.

• app_sauceapp_sauce Member, PRO Posts: 206

Ohh wow I missed that it is a true month to month plan (no commitments). New deal makes more sense. I would prolly go cheaper on the basic say $9.99 but I will continue to be a pro member just thinking out load.

SocializeTwitter , **My Site ** **Play Loop Zen Free **iOS HERE, Google Play HERE

@Armelline Sure! If you're on the basic package for $19/month you can upgrade to the pro package for the difference. Downgrading, however, will only take effect at your next billing cycle.

@CodeWizard said:
    Armelline Sure! If you're on the basic package for $19/month you can upgrade to the pro package for the difference. Downgrading, however, will only take effect at your next billing cycle.

Perfect! The people losing out under this new plan are really going to a minority (at least a minority who would ever actually end up publishing a game)!

THEN I AM 100% ONBOARD. I LIKE IT!!!!! I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND.

It weeds out those who arent eager and gungho about GS.

If Im paying for this service. I want to be able to log in at 35,000ft, on a plane that has no wifi. And proceed to work on my project.

So I hope that issue is being rendered as we speak.

@Socks
    @Lovejoy
    @The_Gamesalad_Guru
    @Armelline

I SEE THE LIGHT!!!!!!!!! and it is good.

@FINNBOGG said:

I SEE THE LIGHT!!!!!!!!! and it is good.

Just keep following that light my friend and don't look back.

@FINNBOGG said:
    THEN I AM 100% ONBOARD. I LIKE IT!!!!! I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND.

Glad to hear it :D If you read the thread I posted a few mins ago you'll see that you fall comfortably into the category of the people who benefit the most from this change.

It's poor sods like me who'll see no real benefit here :D

WAIT A MINUTE!?!?!?! I just renewed my pro less than a month ago piad 299. But IM not ready to publish anything yet. AM I gonna get prorated.

@CodeWizard said:

The lady who fell out the window ?

Try again @Socks.

@Socks said:
    The lady who fell out the window ?

Skilled in the art of war and military tactics, so id go with that guess too.

edited July 2015

@CodeWizard said:
    Try again Socks.

That's all I've got, unless it was one of the guards, the one with the big stick and the pan on his head ?

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410

@CodeWizard

I disagree with the new finance model.

It stops me from promoting GameSalad to students and friends. If it costs money to use then I cannot promote.

There is never a problem with too many people using your software. The problem is monetising. And it sounds like you really need to monetise right now.

Every person who makes a finished game hopes it will be the next Angry Birds when published. That is what you monetise. People will pay for their aspirations when the work has been done and time spent. I suggest a free to use and a pay to publish system.

With the tutorials you guys have done, the YouTube vids and community, it is easier than ever to get started and use. Usage should be encouraged, not hindered.

@Socks Exactly right!

edited July 2015

@Valan said:
    I suggest a free to use and a pay to publish system.

Well, from what's been said that system wasn't working well enough. A free to use and pay to publish system is essentially what they had before.

@Valan said:
    CodeWizard

I disagree with the new finance model.

It stops me from promoting GameSalad to students and friends. If it costs money to use then I cannot promote.

There is never a problem with too many people using your software. The problem is monetising. And it sounds like you really need to monetise right now.

Every person who makes a finished game hopes it will be the next Angry Birds when published. That is what you monetise. People will pay for their aspirations when the work has been done and time spent. I suggest a free to use and a pay to publish system.

With the tutorials you guys have done, the YouTube vids and community, it is easier than ever to get started and use. Usage should be encouraged, not hindered.

Great way to bring up a different good point. Calm collective while offering an alternative.

edited July 2015

@Valan said:
    I suggest a free to use and a pay to publish system.

Personally, I've always thought that would be the best system. It would encourage uptake of the tool, it would encourage people to invest time in the tool and it would prevent GS getting a poor reputation from a sea of poor quality apps - as, at least in theory, those willing to pay to publish would have invested a little more in their creation.

@CodeWizard said:
    Socks Exactly right!

Knew it, it all makes sense now.

• I must say I'm sad that we can't use GS for free anymore. It took me a little while to learn how it works and how to make a proper game with it and I would have never even bothered if I had to pay. I was planning to buy a year of pro membership and make 3 games but I guess I'll do 1 game and switch to Unity :(

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@Valan

Student discount still applies for individuals and our licensing terms for classroom use are VERY affordable, so there is very little reason for students not to be able to use the software.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@trashdinner@hotmail.com said:
    I must say I'm sad that we can't use GS for free anymore. It took me a little while to learn how it works and how to make a proper game with it and I would have never even bothered if I had to pay. I was planning to buy a year of pro membership and make 3 games but I guess I'll do 1 game and switch to Unity :(

That's the beauty of it though!

In the past you could spend a year on learning, and then purchase and publish for 300.

so the cost was 300

Now you can learn while subscribing, and in one year you'll have spent 19 per month and 30 on the month you publish. You just SAVED money.

In addition, if you want to take a break for a month, you can. So with some planning it is cheaper all around!

Follow us: Twitter - Website

edited July 2015

nvm i read it wrong, i think, still a bit confusing on the wording.

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    You just SAVED money.

Agreed, in the majority of situations most people will save money when developing and publishing to mobile under this scheme, and as you say it gives you more opportunity to plan your costs (going on holiday for three weeks in august ? Then skip that month's subscription. Contracted Ebola ? Then wait until you're off the critical list before continuing work on your project - etc)