State of GameSalad on 6/30/2015...

Comments

• trashdinner@hotmail.comtrashdinner@hotmail.com Member Posts: 36
    edited July 2015

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    In addition, if you want to take a break for a month, you can. So with some planning it is cheaper all around!

I don't think it's the way ppl think when they haven't really used a software they don't know. I started using GS because I read forums and most ppl where suggesting 3 or 4 free platform to develop on so I would've never looked at GS if it wasn't free. Also, I can't pay 19$ a month since I need to publish it for IOS to test the progress on my device. Many things don't behave the same if it's not an installed IPA on your device (like looping sounds and other stuff) I'm really not a fan of the previewer + I can't send it to testers.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@Socks said:

Agreed, in the majority of situations most people will save money when developing and publishing to mobile under this scheme, and as you say it gives you more opportunity to plan your costs (going on holiday for three weeks in august ? Then skip that month's subscription. Contracted Ebola ? Then wait until you're off the critical list before continuing work on your project - etc)

Ideally try to contract and recover from ebola while on holiday though, to reduce downtime.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Will we be loosing the @Socks or should i start up a gofundme on your behalf?

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• TitanFuryTitanFury Member Posts: 55

With all of these changes in the business sector of GameSalad, there definitely needs to be a fully released GameSalad creator (no more beta) sometime in the near future. I agree with the Pro version and how it is being structured as far as financials are considered, but when I dish out $300 (keep in mind that Im a full-time student with a minimum wage job, if you can even call it one) I expect a piece of software that is fully functional, flawless and with a load of features. Personally, I find the Basic plan a bit too pricey for what it comprises and the free version should at least be free for 1 month (but trust me, I fully understand the 15-day decision...business is business and I respect that).

While I'm at it, I want to spread my opinion on what I would like to see out of GameSalad in the near future. I see a lot of potential for this software but I still think it needs some crucial features to really make it a $300 piece of solid software. In particular, a fully working multiplayer that allows players from around the world to interact in-game in real time. Wouldn't it be neat to create a game that brings people together in the virtual world? Like agar.io? A second crucial feature that the creator needs is the ability to access the camera of a device. If I had a nickel for every idea that I had which involved the use of the camera I'd probably be as rich as Bill Cosby. But Iv'e had to shut each one down and throw them away. Lastly, I definitely would not mind waiting a little longer for an update if it brought something really to look forward to instead of all these little releases every few days with only one or two bug fixes or minor improvements. Can't tell you how many times I grew excited to download a new version only to find that it didn't really help my experience with GameSalad. I have a bunch more ideas, but these are the ones that would change my entire experience (and surely those of the rest of the community) using gamesalad.

Please take this solely as a personal opinion of mine. I really enjoy using gamesalad, but I just need to take the weight off my chest to express my ideas for this wonderful piece of software. Again, these are just my personal views and opinions and are not meant in any way to outlash against or send hate towards the gamesalad creators and/or community.

Thanks!

@TitanFury Being a student, you should be buying PRO through studio for a huge discount. http://www.studica.com/GameSalad

• 2create2create Member, PRO Posts: 90

Great!

Yops – the innovative puzzle game for iOs – http://apple.co/1ESvIlC
    Other games - http://appstore.com/flashpromllc/

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@trashdinner@hotmail.com said:
    I don't think it's the way ppl think when they haven't really used a software they don't know. I started using GS because I read forums and most ppl where suggesting 3 or 4 free platform to develop on so I would've never looked at GS if it wasn't free. Also, I can't pay 19$ a month since I need to publish it for IOS to test the progress on my device. Many things don't behave the same if it's not an installed IPA on your device (like looping sounds and other stuff) I'm really not a fan of the previewer + I can't send it to testers.

Some truth to this, yes it will deter people. That can be good and bad.

For example, if someone spends 24 months in GS and only exclusively uses it for free , GS is making next to nothing.

In addition, they have to extend it's customer support to more users who again aren't paying, which slows down the whole support queue.

Also the publishing servers get hit harder, potentially costing more to operate, and performing slower; since they are more likely to be under heavy load.

GS also doesn't have the Money/Triple A games/Investments that the big dogs have to keep them afloat. Which is why the free model is fine for those people (Unreal,etc).

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Armelline said:
    Ideally try to contract and recover from ebola while on holiday though, to reduce downtime.

That's the kind of forward-looking-planning I'm talking about, you need to see deadly diseases as an opportunity, just think of the savings if the disease is fatal, it's win-win.

I would've never looked at GS if it wasn't free.

I agree, that is the first (possible) issue that came to mind when reading about this new scheme, that the uptake of GS might be reduced, the nature of the demographic (people perhaps not overly familiar with what makes a good or bad SDK) might simply make their choice of SDK on whether there is a free version or not, and if competitors have a free version then those new to coding will end up there - I'm also not so sure 2 weeks is enough time to allow people to even partially invest themselves in the software - as any good drug dealer know you need time to get people hooked - but I expect all these issues have been trashed out at length by GS (either that or they just killed to boss and have gone mad).

Also, I can't pay 19$ a month since I need to publish it for IOS to test the progress on my device. Many things don't behave the same if it's not an installed IPA on your device (like looping sounds and other stuff) I'm really not a fan of the previewer + I can't send it to testers.

True, I suppose that's reason enough to subscribe to the basic scheme.

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

To comment on a couple of things...

Recurring means your subscription continues each month (or year) without you having to explicitly renew every month. Think of how Netflix or WoW subscriptions work.

Quick fixes may not mean much to you as an individual, but for the people that are crashing and cannot use Creator they are invaluable. Right now we're very focused on making sure things work the way they should, and we want to get those fixes in your hands as soon as we can.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

I hope there is something for our young folk 10-14 year old students to be able to try out game development.

I realize this is pure charity.

A bankrupt GS will benefit no one.

@Lovejoy said:
    Will we be loosing the Socks or should i start up a gofundme on your behalf?

My plan was to flood the MarketPlace with very low quality Flappy Bird templates and use the money to get back onto Pro, but looks like the MarketPlace might not be happening now, or at least not in the same form (third party hook up?) - so I'm going to have to work the streets again, I said I would never go back, but it's that or sell my collection of faberge eggs.

• trashdinner@hotmail.comtrashdinner@hotmail.com Member Posts: 36
    edited July 2015

I understand :neutral: it's probably gonna bring them more money .. only time will tell but It's sad to think that most ppl won't even bother. In a world where ppl don't even look at Paymium game because ppl want to play for free and end up buying IAP if they like the game, it's probably gonna be a turn off for a lot of ppl. In my case, my 1st game is almost finished .. it took me 6 months to learn how make an ok game with GS and I would've never paid for those 6 months considering that my income is really low atm and I learnt how to use it in those 6 months ... I was about to pay for a year but this is the push I needed to learn C# better and switch to Unity. Sorry GS :(

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410

@dgackey said:
    Valan

Student discount still applies for individuals and our licensing terms for classroom use are VERY affordable, so there is very little reason for students not to be able to use the software.

"Discounts" and "VERY affordable" are translated as "Cost money" to our students. Parents will pay for results they see now. That is one reason why we have an assessment based education system here in Hong Kong, but i digress.

Student: I paid a month to learn GameSalad well enough to make my game. I need to pay again.
    Parent: Nothing to show, too much wasted money already. Nonsense.

Sad but true.

When I talk to people they are pleasantly surprised that they can use GameSalad for free. In the sense that they have dismissed their ability to make games already until they hear "no cost".

edited July 2015

@gattoman said:
    I hope there is something for our young folk 10-14 year old students to be able to try out game development.

2 weeks of free use + a month at $19 is pocket money territory, I expect any kid genuinely passionate about getting into game design will find a way to scrape together $4 or $5 a week.

@Socks said:
    2 weeks of free use + a month at $19 is pocket money territory, I expect any kid
    genuinely passionate about getting into game design will find a way to scrape together > $4 or $5 a week.

Here is a suggestion, make sure to watch it till the end, only 33seconds.

• bwilhelmbwilhelm Member, BASIC Posts: 7

I just want to make sure I understand - paying $20/month with the basic membership, I can't publish an IPA to test on my iPad?

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

@bwilhelm said:
    I just want to make sure I understand - paying $20/month with the basic membership, I can't publish an IPA to test on my iPad?

You can always use the viewer. But we know there are legitimate reasons for needing to make a adhoc.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

I understand :neutral: it's probably gonna bring them more money .. only time will tell but It's sad to think that most ppl won't even bother. In a world where ppl don't even look at Paymium game because ppl want to play for free and end up buying IAP if they like the game, it's probably gonna be a turn off for a lot of ppl. In my case, my 1st game is almost finished .. it took me 6 months to learn how make an ok game with GS and I would've never paid for those 6 months considering that my income is really low atm and I learnt how to use it in those 6 months ... I was about to pay for a year but this is the push I needed to learn C# better and switch to Unity. Sorry GS :(

Fair enough, it does suck in certain situations.

Best of luck, programming can be very rewarding!

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@Valan said:

When I talk to people they are pleasantly surprised that they can use GameSalad for free. In the sense that they have dismissed their ability to make games already until they hear "no cost".

And for schools, we can work with them by setting up longer trial periods. My experience in speaking with a LOT of educators is that they are actually suspicious of a lot of free software because they want to know the company will be around and not just a flash in the pan.

Free is great when the economics work for you. But people also understand "you get what you pay for" and we will make sure educators can continue to evaluate the software and know what they're paying for.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

@Lovejoy said:
    Here is a suggestion, make sure to watch it till the end, only 33seconds.

New business plan ! :smile:

@bwilhelm said:

That is correct. You will be able to develop the game and test natively on your device or use the viewer, however.

@dgackey I'm a bit confused by your answer - are you saying I can use the viewer OR test natively on my device with IPA?

I was about to pay for a year but this is the push I needed to learn C# better and switch to Unity. Sorry GS :(

Unity Pro 5 $1,500 or $75 month
    Unity iOS Pro 5 $1,500 or $75 month
    Unity Android Pro 5 $1,500 or $75 month

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826
    edited July 2015

These changes will be for the better if it will help GS stay in business and meet it's financial targets. It would be really sad if GS shuts down.

On the positive side you will only pay for what you use which I think is a really good thing.
    Add to that all the new benefits like better support, faster bug fixes and more learning material. It is a good deal. The only thing I am a little sad about is that Graphine SDK will be put on hold. I was really looking forward so using it due to the powerful features.

The new changes will not please everyone but GS has to do what is best for it's survival. There are other SDKs out there that are free but they take a longer time to learn. The small price you pay to use GS is for all the time you will save learning another tool. If you can't afford it then you can use a different SDK you have options. The main point here is that GS has to take care of its own needs and no option will please everyone. All the best for the future and thank you for providing us with a fantastic product. Keep up the great work ...

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

Ok. I will give it a go.
    To be honest the 400$ Canadian for pro was a deterrent. I was working on what I was going to say to my wife on the 400$ In October anyways.

240$ Canadian is palatable.

@bwilhelm said:
    dgackey I'm a bit confused by your answer - are you saying I can use the viewer OR test natively on my device with IPA?

You will be able to test with the viewer but not publish IPAs at the basic level.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited July 2015

I remember when GS was $500 for basic and $2000 for pro.... I went with basic :)
    Then it went to $99 for basic and $500 for pro... I went pro
    Then it went free for basic and $299. I think of this as the Mateen period ;)

This is good news all around.

Everyone has 2 weeks to try GS to see if it is for them
    They can then upgrade to basic to work with the platform. I pay $19 a month for photoshop, and I don't use that 1/2 as much as GS.

When it's time to publish, pay $29 for one month, publish then drop back down to $19.

@dgackey Thanks for confirming what I had feared was the case. I'm not sure I understand the lack of publishing ad hoc IPAs for basic membership. My kids are my testers, and publishing to their iPad was part of my process. Can I install on multiple viewers? Is the viewer experience comparable to publishing an IPA and testing on the device?

It sounds like I'm going from a free option with less features but better testing capabilities to a paid option with all the features but little testing and no publishing options.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@bwilhelm said:
    dgackey Thanks for confirming what I had feared was the case. I'm not sure I understand the lack of publishing ad hoc IPAs for basic membership. My kids are my testers, and publishing to their iPad was part of my process. Can I install on multiple viewers? Is the viewer experience comparable to publishing an IPA and testing on the device?

It sounds like I'm going from a free option with less features but better testing capabilities to a paid option with all the features but little testing and no publishing options.

i have not used the viewer in a long time, but for process testing it should be fine. You can install multiple viewers no problem. I used to have it on my iPhone/iPad and my wife iPhone.

I wouldn't take it's performance as a perfect indication of how it will perform on a device, but for functionality and logic, it'll work just fine.