State of GameSalad on 6/30/2015...

Comments

• wanegroupwanegroup Member, PRO Posts: 84

Anyways, the 15 day trial thing. It took me way more than 15 contiguous days to decide to buy Pro. I wouldn't be a paid member right now if I had been cut off that early. Can it be tweaked to something like 15 starts rather than 15 days, or maybe whichever is the longer of the two?

I agree with @Moik on this point - it took me a while to find the time when I first started and actually put GS down for some other priorities when I was first trying out GS for a few months, before really getting into developing & learning GS and eventually going Pro. If I would have only had 15 days for free at the beginning, I'm not sure I would have continued with it.

iOS Apps/Games: Factoids | SkyGunner | TriSideX

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited July 2015

@lycettebros I can only imagine how much more of a happy ship it is at GS Towers with the change of management. The team are no longer under the shackles of someone who, from what I can piece together, didn't really have the best interests of the company, product or customers at heart and who kept forcing different strategies on the team, pulling them in different directions all the time... wasting a lot of time, resources, and forcing good people to leave.

Under the new management, who are experienced game industry veterans, I think although they might now have a bit of a struggle on their hands to turn things around, they probably feel like they can finally work as a proper team, with a proper direction at last...

A quick look at the company reviews on GlassDoor gives a small window into the bad decisions, mismanagment and awful politics that the company has had to suffer under. Now that they're free from that, I can only imagine how much better morale is... :)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@Moik said:
    Anyways, the 15 day trial thing. It took me way more than 15 contiguous days to decide to buy Pro. I wouldn't be a paid member right now if I had been cut off that early. Can it be tweaked to something like 15 starts rather than 15 days, or maybe whichever is the longer of the two?

Would you have been so hesitant, though, if you were only committing to $20, not $300? It seems a much easier decision to go Basic/Pro with only a 1 month commitment than a whole year.

@dgackey Windows Native Publishing. Does that mean iOS without xCode?

Apple do not allow this, so I presume he means publishing to Windows .exe's. Nobody can publish to iOS without a Mac - absolutely none of the dev apps.

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    edited July 2015

@jonmulcahy said:
    I just want to bold this for people who may miss it. Just think of all the things you could do with a standalone windows .exe

My GS game has been greenlit on Steam in 2014. So you don't need to tell me, how much we will benefit from this feature.

• WebWarriorWebWarrior Member, PRO Posts: 62

@Armelline said:
    Apple do not allow this, so I presume he means publishing to Windows .exe's. Nobody can publish to iOS without a Mac - absolutely none of the dev apps.

Consider that challenge accepted ;)

@WebWarrior said:
    Consider that challenge accepted ;)

You pull that off and I'm sure you'll pick up enough subs to buy the office a new pool or something!

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

We've already solved this problem for Graphene -- and we'll bring that solution to GameSalad. At least the signing iOS apps on Windows. You'll still need a Mac to upload the app for final publishing (or http://macinthecloud.com).

I smell opportunity for assisted publishing!

@CodeWizard said:
    We've already solved this problem for Graphene -- and we'll bring that solution to GameSalad. At least the signing iOS apps on Windows. You'll still need a Mac to upload the app for final publishing (or http://macinthecloud.com).

If GameSalad can handle that last step server-side, that would be a HUGE selling point.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited July 2015

@Codewizard read the Update thread for mac. I've spotted some major issues.

Fixed

• JamieOneilJamieOneil Member Posts: 877

The reason I got into game defelopment and why I am now studying game development at College was because of GameSalad being free. I was 13 when I started and if there was any cost I would never have tried it, never gotten into it and I would not be where I am today.
    It was months from the first time I used GS before I actually got into it.

It really sucks that anyone who is young and is like I was, not willing to pay at the start, won't get to take the path I took. But hey, what's done is done, maybe one day I will get pro again.

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    edited July 2015

@CodeWizard said:

GameBuilder Studio claim to be able to do this too. Did look at it the other day (not for that reason as I have a Mac) but first impressions weren't good. Couldn't work out how the logic was applied to actors in the example game and I couldn't find any useful tutorials on their site.

Notice how they have the free to use option though? :P

I lied, just found one tutorial showing how to make a Flappy Bird game. Whoop!

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@KevinCross said:

>

That creator is perhaps a mini graphene.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

@Lovejoy said:
    That creator is perhaps a mini graphene.

I don't really know much about graphene. Came back to GameSalad when the announcements about it had stopped.

I'll give GBS another bash next week with the Flappy Bird tutorial as that should give me an idea how logic is applied to each actor. I saw all of the rules on the right but nothing saying what they were connected too and how. Not the nicest of looking programs.

@KevinCross said:

Also it lacks perhaps the most important thing. This amazing community of helpful and knowledge people. But lets not get this thread into the subject of another tool so it doesn't get locked.

• ffatopffatop Member, PRO Posts: 37

GameSalad is growing fastly! I love it <3 <3 <3

• owen_dennisowen_dennis Just a guy, you know. Member, PRO Posts: 236
    edited July 2015

There was a big memory leak that you guys said was fixed with the new graphics engine in 0.14. I'm hoping that comes in the next couple months, as without it my game crashes after awhile (extremely frustrating on an endless runner to get a super high score and then crash). I'm getting pretty close to finishing my game and I'd hate to just sit on it and not be able to release it when it's ready. :(

I can see this new move to the 15 day trial period as being controversial. I feel like it took 15 days to even kind of understand how the program worked to begin with. I know I only decided to buy it after about 2 months of using it. It'll probably work out though, hopefully increase revenue, and then you guys can hire more help if you need it.

I'm a big fan of these constant updates and rollouts though. It seems like things are trucking along quite well.

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

@owen_dennis and @blackcloakGS the memory leak is still present in 0.14 as far as I have been able to test in the nightly. My game reach scene 20 or 21 and then the device runs out of memory. When checking with instruments the engine does not release the memory from the previous scene when it switches to the next :( It has been like this for 8 months now...

• WortekWortek Member Posts: 33

Just want to say that GameSalad will regret this decision.
    Today every game making software that exist out there have a free version of their software for creating and testing games.
    Yes everybody have a monthly or yearly subscription model for publishing and that is absolutely right because companies need to make money, but creation and testing is free!
    Changing completely to a monthly subscription without giving the ability to make and test games to your users is absolutely ridiculous decision.
    No one is ever going to pay just to make and test game without knowing the software.
    Unity, Corona SDK, Construct 2, Stencyl, UDK - all of the game making tools out there on the market have a free version to use and make games and they all charge for publishing but not for using their software.

WHOEVER MADE THIS DECISION IN GS WILL REGRET THIS!
    That being said, you will lost a lot of your users, why you want so badly to kill your software I have no idea.

In my opinion you should have monthly or yearly subscriptions for different publishing options, like $9.99 for Arcade, $19.99 for Arcade & iOS, $29.99 for all platforms
    BUT MAKING AND TESTING GAMES IN CREATOR SHOULD BE FREE, period.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited July 2015

@Lovejoy said:
    "Getty stock image" :o

Getty gonna get you unless you paid to use their stock image. But I ain't going to tell them, haha!

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@Wortek Sorry you feel that way. I wish we could have our cake and eat it too. On a positive note, I think we've licked the iOS publishing difficulties that people experience trying to get apps on devices. Because of that, we'll be getting iOS publishing out to Windows very soon. And, this also means that we'll be supporting XCode free device testing as well. Oh man, I'm excited about this!

Spending 6 hours on Intercom with one of our new customers this weekend really helped me see the friction points there and to architect a solution that really makes an impact.

Anyway, I'm sorry you're upset Wortek. I hope you stay with us! But I understand if you don't.

@PhilipCC said:
    Getty gonna get you unless you paid to use their stock image. But I ain't going to tell them, haha!

When did i post that post you quoted? I honestly don't remember! :#

• waynedarbywaynedarby Member Posts: 12

What does this mean for the marketplace and for the sellers? We received an email that your shutting down the internal marketplace. Are you trashing mp 2.0?

• owen_dennisowen_dennis Just a guy, you know. Member, PRO Posts: 236
    edited July 2015

@viking said:
    owen_dennis and blackcloakGS the memory leak is still present in 0.14 as far as I have been able to test in the nightly. My game reach scene 20 or 21 and then the device runs out of memory. When checking with instruments the engine does not release the memory from the previous scene when it switches to the next :( It has been like this for 8 months now...

Whaaaat? Man I hope not. That's such an important thing to fix. My whole game crashes after a little while playing it and that's an unacceptable issue for my players to deal with. I've gone through and made it more and more efficient, but all that's doing is making the time before it crashes last a little longer. I'll get blamed for something inherent in the underlying structure of gamesalad, which will lead to getting poor reviews.

I would've liked to use 14.1, but the last version on mac was so graphically broken I couldn't even dream of using that as my platform yet.

If it's already fixed in the windows version, maybe I can find someone I know with windows, and publish an adhoc through their computer? Maybe?

• bizextremebizextreme Member, PRO Posts: 111

I have been a pro user for about a year, if you can't make $29 month using gamesalad your doing something wrong.

New Muscle Racing Game out now on android
    [Muscle Race!]

• JamieOneilJamieOneil Member Posts: 877

@bizextreme said:
    I have been a pro user for about a year, if you can't make $29 month using gamesalad your doing something wrong.

Not everyone uses GameSalad to make money.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276
    edited July 2015

@JamieOneil said:
    Not everyone uses GameSalad to make money.

I think @bizextreme meant that you should (with a little effort) make the money back that you invested in GS membership.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

Hey guys...does anybody know where the official statement of the 15 day trial is and what it includes, allows...basically the whole scoop of it vs the widely spread out list of comments? I'd like to know.

Thank you.

• WortekWortek Member Posts: 33

@Thunder_Child said:
    Hey guys...does anybody know where the official statement of the 15 day trial is and what it includes, allows...basically the whole scoop of it vs the widely spread out list of comments? I'd like to know.

Thank you.

They say it can do everything Pro sub. can but limited to 15 days. Simple

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    edited July 2015

Ok cool. So at least...with the new user during the 15 day trial...can publish their game to the arcade and link it to a website. I'm curious once the game is there and the 15 days is up...does the game remain on the arcade for people to play even after the 15 days are up ?

I'm assuming then also they lose their portfolio after 15 days...so that may include the game being removed from the arcade. This I don't know.