GameSalad Viewer Coming to an app store near you

BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
edited December 2015 in GameSalad Kitchen

We are working towards getting the GameSalad view into the app stores.
Below are links to the views in the different stores

Google Play
Amazon
iTunes

if you have the viewer installed already please uninstall it before installing from the store

Comments

• SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Member Posts: 797
    edited November 2015

YAY!!!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Yeah !

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Woohoo!

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

updated with amazon store link

• ElemetAppsElemetApps Member, PRO Posts: 55

Yes!

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

Absolutely loving this!

Thanks GS team!

• DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159

Awesome! :)

• ChechesoftChechesoft Member, PRO Posts: 171

Excelente!!!!!

• 33miles33miles Member, BASIC Posts: 71

So glad this is out, but the android viewer is still suffering from issues. Running android OS 5.1.1 on my tablet. The display text behavior still goes to a default font, not the ones you select. Also loading my first level took like 30 seconds, I thought my game froze! The worst part was my overlapping actors rules didn't work once I finally loaded in, and my game relies on them heavily... Plus recent projects don't work. I cannot reopen projects after I transfer them. And I know that android is down on performance at the moment but 20 fps is just sad! Some of these issues have been around for many months. Please GS dude's give these problems a little loving care if you can. :) Sorry for complaining. :( Thanks for all you do for us, and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! o:)

• EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451

@BlackCloakGS What stage is it at on iOS? Is it even submitted?

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

So. If the latest GS Creator requires a updated Viewer. That Viewer will be in the store waiting to be downloaded? No more Xcode yadda yadda crap? And when you say Itunes. Do you mean iOS app store. Downloadable thru each device? iphone/ipad etc etc?

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited November 2015

The iOS viewer is in the waiting for review status. Will take about a week to get into the iOS store.

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

Great stuff @BlackCloakGS !

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

@BlackCloakGS said:
    The iOS viewer is in the waiting for review status. Will take about a week to get into the iOS store.

Great news, will make testing my games on friends devices much easier! I can now send them all home to test stuff muhahaha

Ill bump my question.

"So. If the latest GS Creator requires a updated Viewer. That Viewer will be in the store waiting to be downloaded? No more Xcode yadda yadda crap? And when you say Itunes. Do you mean iOS app store. Downloadable thru each device? iphone/ipad etc etc?"

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Yes, they are putting it on the app store. Downloadable as any other app.

The updates of the Viewer for iOS will probably be slower, since they will have to go through the Apple review process.

But not every Creator update will need a Viewer update, only when the core thingamajig changes (signified by the first .XX number in the version, currently 24).

well maybe they will plan ahead of each release and give the viewer for that release time to be updated on app store.

edited November 2015

@FINNBOGG said:
    well maybe they will plan ahead of each release and give the viewer for that release time to be updated on app store.

So artificially delay access to Creator ?

no. artificially get to work on the new viewer and get it out and ready for the creator release. But yeah artificially delay a creator update. The premise to that statement is to think before they act.

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

Will that mean we won't be able to continue using older versions of GS as the new ones role out?

Like, what if a user wants to "test" the latest release, but finds a problem, and wants to roll back to an older version of the viewer. Where would they get it, and how would they get it back on their device (assuming the app stores will only have the latest versions of the viewer at any given time?

I like to hang back and stick with stable builds, so this sounds like a potential nightmare to me. :blush:

@FINNBOGG said:
    no. artificially get to work on the new viewer and get it out and ready for the creator release. But yeah artificially delay a creator update.

I suspect the viewer relies on what's in Creator, so it's unlikely they could upload the viewer for an application that have yet to complete.

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

Ideally, I think each version of the viewer would be a different app, so we can always get back to the older versions.

"Keeping up with the latest version of Game Salad", or any dev tool, is just not "the done thing". Is this being taken into account?

Like, someone using Unity doesn't just update every time an update comes out... they strategically stick with specific versions to suit their needs, and often release on the stable version they're on, rather than updating mid development.

I assume Game Salad will allow us to do the same? Including with the viewer?

I often need to switch between versions of the viewer on devices, depending on what problems are in the latest version, etc. So that'll still be supported, yeah?

edited November 2015

Nevermind. IM sure its more than that. SO yeah hold of a few days until the new viewer is up and running.

@FINNBOGG said:
    Nevermind. IM sure its more than that. SO yeah hold of a few days until the new viewer is up and running.

I can't imagine any good reason to withhold Creator while the viewer was in the queue at the App Store waiting for approval ? (Unless I misunderstand your point).

I use my viewer alot when working on my stuff. Every 5 minutes. We never know when they are going to officially release a new update to the creator. So if they decide to wait until the viewer is released to release a update and give them both to us at the same time. Im all for it. I say what you dont know wont hurt you. wait for both to be released. IMHO

@FINNBOGG said:
    I use my viewer alot when working on my stuff. Every 5 minutes. We never know when they are going to officially release a new update to the creator. So if they decide to wait until the viewer is released to release a update and give them both to us at the same time. Im all for it. I say what you dont know wont hurt you. wait for both to be released. IMHO

Fair enough, but you still don't actually say why it would be a good idea to withhold Creator !? :)

Personally I'd ptefer to get my hands on the latest creator (especially with all the great stuff we are seeing lately) as soon as it's ready.

Because I'm one for structure and discipline. And it looks like GS is starting to show it. Becoming a well oiled running machine. And presenting both at the same times feels more professional. And reduces the amount of half ass stuff we've seen in the past. " here's your new creator... And yes here is the new viewer as well." " what's that?.... Nope you're ready to go. You don't have to wait any longer for anything."

But I could always just do it myself and not download the new creator until the new viewer comes with it.

• tmanntmann Member Posts: 278

Its great to have the viewer available on the app store but in nearly six years of doodling with GS it is the one area that has always been rock solid for me. I can download and have the new version installed on an iOS device in under 2 minutes and have multiple versions installed on the same device without problem.

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

After all this time, I managed to fire up a borrowed Android phone to see if and how one of my world-famous apps runs on that OS. Lo and behold, the couple of apps I uploaded to the phone work. It's quite nice to see my warez perpetuated on another system :p .

OK, enough foolishness; the real question follows. We're aware there are some things to iron out concerning Android performance as of late. However, I ask to those of you who have installed the Google app on your Android device: have you encountered problems restarting your app after exiting the Viewer? I have started the Viewer, uploaded the apps, see them work, and after I turn off the phone or close the Viewer, restarted the Viewer, clicked on an app, and it doesn't load.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

There are other methods that are just as easy, take slightly more time and that provide an actual representation of how your app will run on a device. Holding back the creator while Apple takes their time approving it would be a bag of hurt.