GameSalad Viewer Coming to an app store near you

Comments

• 33miles33miles Member, BASIC Posts: 71

@mhedges said:
    OK, enough foolishness; the real question follows. We're aware there are some things to iron out concerning Android performance as of late. However, I ask to those of you who have installed the Google app on your Android device: have you encountered problems restarting your app after exiting the Viewer? I have started the Viewer, uploaded the apps, see them work, and after I turn off the phone or close the Viewer, restarted the Viewer, clicked on an app, and it doesn't load.

Yes I have this issue too. But then the android viewer has been problematic for me in the past, just more so now. :'( It's strange because I've always had great success using the iOS viewer.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@FINNBOGG said:
    Because I'm one for structure and discipline. And it looks like GS is starting to show it. Becoming a well oiled running machine. And presenting both at the same times feels more professional. And reduces the amount of half ass stuff we've seen in the past. " here's your new creator... And yes here is the new viewer as well." " what's that?.... Nope you're ready to go. You don't have to wait any longer for anything."

But I could always just do it myself and not download the new creator until the new viewer comes with it.

That's the issue. You are one for order. Stop putting your desires above the rest of us please. There is no harm in releasing the latest creator. Installing the viewer via xcode is not a big deal. It takes me no longer than the time it takes to plug in my device boot up xcode bam done.

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

I have no control over what they decide. I was simply expressing my opinion. And expressed I was willing to use the old creator till the new creators viewer was ready. The one thing I always hated was dealing with Xcode and remembering provision files and all that stuff. But knowing I'll simply get it from apps store is a dream come true. And I can wait. I don't spit games out as fast as most of you. In just glad I'm seeing some decent progression coming from the GS team.

@FINNBOGG said:
    I have no control over what they decide. I was simply expressing my opinion. And expressed I was willing to use the old creator till the new creators viewer was ready. The one thing I always hated was dealing with Xcode and remembering provision files and all that stuff. But knowing I'll simply get it from apps store is a dream come true. And I can wait. I don't spit games out as fast as most of you. In just glad I'm seeing some decent progression coming from the GS team.

if you use the team ID aka the * you don't have to change anything in the viewer build, not even the app ID. Just plug in device, select the team ID and build done

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

Can't wait for this iOS App Store gs viewer, I spent 3 hours yesterday trying to get the latest viewer to run a game! It worked on my iPad no problem, but my phone required an update, after that I had to update Xcode which wouldn't work. Then it to ages to dl the 4 gig install, instal that, verify the Xcode, then I had to update my osx before it would work. After everything I still couldn't get anything to run, prob update to El Capitan later now to hopefully fix it, what a wasted night,

Anyway because of stuff like this I can't waitt for the App Store install, I've never had so much trouble in the past though! Ah well :)

Whats the app called? I want to search for it inthe app store periodically.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@FINNBOGG said:
    Whats the app called? I want to search for it inthe app store periodically.

It's "GS Viewer" on Google Play and Amazon, so i assume it's the same on the AppStore.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

GS Viewer is taken on iOS

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,333

@FINNBOGG said:
    GS Viewer is taken on iOS

It's not. GSViewer is taken, though.

apple..... in its long list of illogical rules and regulations and expectations. Will allow someone to loophole Having the same name as another app by the power of the "SpaceBar"?

Just type in gamesalad and you can see their account page with all their listings.

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

I suppose the Windows people got left out?

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

@fmakawa the viewers in the app stores should work with windows creator.

We will not hold creator releases to wait for the viewers getting into the stores.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@BlackCloakGS said:
    We will not hold creator releases to wait for the viewers getting into the stores.

Good !! :)

• digitalzerodigitalzero Member, BASIC Posts: 639

Ommmmmmgggggggggggg exxxxcccciiittteeeeddddd!!!!!!! Just what i have been waiting for!!!!!

@Socks said:

@BlackCloakGS said:

Good !! :)

Future thread on GS Forums

" We are happy to let you know that we've Just released GSC 1.32.48. And we have just submitted GS Viewer for 1.32.48 to apple for approval"

Thats nice but Im still waiting on GS Viewer 1.30.32 to be approved by apple from back when you released 1.30.32.

@FINNBOGG said:
    Future thread on GS Forums

" We are happy to let you know that we've Just released GSC 1.32.48. And we have just submitted GS Viewer for 1.32.48 to apple for approval"

Thats nice but Im still waiting on GS Viewer 1.30.32 to be approved by apple from back when you released 1.30.32.

If your approach was applied here (artificially withholding Creator from users while waiting for Apple store approval of the viewer) we would have neither 1.32.48 nor 1.30.32 ! :)

sure we would..... If GS secretly had a policy that as long as they didnt have to wait to long for apple approval. That the new update would release with the new viewer. And we didnt know when the update was ready for release. We wouldnt know if they held off or not.

Out of site, out of mind.

@FINNBOGG said:
    sure we would..... If GS secretly had a policy that as long as they didnt have to wait to long for apple approval. That the new update would release with the new viewer. And we didnt know when the update was ready for release. We wouldnt know if they held off or not.

I haven't got a clue what you're talking about now !? :D

Basically if your suggested approach was adopted (artificially withholding Creator from users while waiting for Apple store approval of the viewer) then your hypothesised future thread ("Im still waiting on GS Viewer 1.30.32 to be approved by apple") would mean your suggested approach would have prevented you (and everyone else) access to both 1.30.32 and 1.32.48.

Luckily - for everyone - they've no 'secret policies' nor plans to sit around waiting for Apple to approve the viewer before releasing Creator - even if Creator is finished and sat on their servers ready to go . . . . but as you've said previously you are still free to impose this restriction on yourself by simply not using Creator until Apple approve the viewer, there's nothing to stop you doing this . . . so everyone is happy ! :)

• digitalzerodigitalzero Member, BASIC Posts: 639

So I'm glad i read all the comments on this thread... My game is HUMONGOUS and it's such a relief progress is still being made because my fps was 18... Jenkies! I won't complain though... Considering i won't be done until mid next year... And the way the GS team has been so progressive lately i have faith things will be amazeballs by the time i put my games out! Xoxoxo Gamesalad! ( sorry about the exes and ohs I'm gay and can't help it)

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@FINNBOGG

As always, you are free to download the GameSalad Viewer project and build it yourself at any time. The versions we're putting on the stores are a convenience option and as such, will not be on the bleeding edge.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

HAHA ok its all out of context now. I did use the word "IF". Also "out of site out of mind" isnt "Out of site out of mind" if its not out of site.

I believe I said that I am more than happy to use what ever creator version matches what ever App Store GS Viewer is available.

You update based on most recent creator. Ill update based on most recent available Viewer.

I personally "HATE" and I can not express the hate using only all caps. I HATE HAVING TO INSTALL A NEW VIEWER WITH THE EXPLICIT NEED FOR XCODE AND ALL ITS EXPLICIT NEEDS OF THE NEW OS.

Cant do this because you dont have that. And you cant do that because you havent updated this. OH and by the way you cant do either unless you also update your computers OS as well. Oh by the way there might be some bugs apple hasnt fixed in the new OS either.

Seems you are spitting out so many games weekly that its important to you to need the most up to date creator the moments its live. I might work on a game and have to freaking install the viewer 3x before im done with just 1 game.

Im just happy that I can finally depend on apple app store to give me the viewer I need and not have to look at xcode ever again.

And now its seems like GS is just doing us a favor with the app store. And all future viewers will be released when ever they feel up to it. So I may be stuck with dealing xcode.

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@FINNBOGG said:
    Im just happy that I can finally depend on apple app store to give me the viewer I need and not have to look at xcode ever again.

And that's the reason we're putting the viewers on the stores!

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880

Awesomenemnessesses! Thanks @dgackey and GS Team. You guys are paving your way to god mode ;)

@FINNBOGG said:
    HAHA ok its all out of context now. I did use the word "IF". Also "out of site out of mind" isnt "Out of site out of mind" if its not out of site.

I believe I said that I am more than happy to use what ever creator version matches what ever App Store GS Viewer is available.

You update based on most recent creator. Ill update based on most recent available Viewer.

I personally "HATE" and I can not express the hate using only all caps. I HATE HAVING TO INSTALL A NEW VIEWER WITH THE EXPLICIT NEED FOR XCODE AND ALL ITS EXPLICIT NEEDS OF THE NEW OS.

Cant do this because you dont have that. And you cant do that because you havent updated this. OH and by the way you cant do either unless you also update your computers OS as well. Oh by the way there might be some bugs apple hasnt fixed in the new OS either.

Seems you are spitting out so many games weekly that its important to you to need the most up to date creator the moments its live. I might work on a game and have to freaking install the viewer 3x before im done with just 1 game.

And now its seems like GS is just doing us a favor with the app store. And all future viewers will be released when ever they feel up to it. So I may be stuck with dealing xcode.

Welcome to game development. This isn't unique to GS. Keep your apple stuff uptodate simple. The tech world changes faster than anything. This is the world we reside in. you still need Xcode to publish and one way or the other you will need to have your Xcode stuff in order. doing it systematically is better than waiting months and then trying to fix it and having to sort through lots of info. I keep my Xcode in order every time apple updates. when apple updates their iOS you know there is an Xcode update as well. this is just how it is. this is also true for android et...

Well. GS viewer on App Store takes away a lot of that headache.

@FINNBOGG said:
    Well. GS viewer on App Store takes away a lot of that headache.

I agree with that. :)

guys does this work with the fire tv?

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

The controller support for the main viewer interface needs some love before i submit to the firetv store. If you don't mind the default settings like stretch then you can just side load the viewer apk. Once i get some time to fix the controller support on the main view i will added it to the fireTV store.

@BlackCloakGS said:
    The controller support for the main viewer interface needs some love before i submit to the firetv store. If you don't mind the default settings like stretch then you can just side load the viewer apk. Once i get some time to fix the controller support on the main view i will added it to the fireTV store.

Cool, thanks for the reply :) you guys are doing great work lately.