Heads up for 1.25 release

Comments

• DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

@Dues said:
    @Lost_Oasis_Games
    That won't help me much (although I already tried that) since even a new simple project with a control camera and a change attribute still isn't smooth. I'll send you a project file so you can test on your computer if you want.

I'm starting to wonder if this issue is also related to the box2d update?

But the box2d update shouldn't affect project files that is not opened with builds prior to the update?

I can't even create a project with 1.23.1 that runs smooth.

Are there any files "left behind" when deleting GS that could affect earlier builds?

Found this "Box2D is tuned for meters-kilograms-seconds (MKS). Your moving objects should be between 0.1 - 10 meters. Do not use pixels as units! You will get a jittery simulation."

Not sure it has anything to do with anything, but...

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

I made a new project in 0.13.47 there is very minor stuttering there as well but not as bad as the latest builds. Seems to have been more exaggerated now. It seems to be a camera issue because a default size scene doesn't stutter.

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    I made a new project in 0.13.47 there is very minor stuttering there as well but not as bad as the latest builds. Seems to have been more exaggerated now. It seems to be a camera issue because a default size scene doesn't stutter.

It does for me.. If I just place an actor with a change attribute self motion linear vel X to 100 the movement isn't smooth

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@Dues said:

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

It does for me.. If I just place an actor with a change attribute self motion linear vel X to 100 the movement isn't smooth

It is smoother than current. Codewizard is on the case hunting this bug himself.

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

@Dues said:

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

It is smoother than current. Codewizard is on the case hunting this bug himself.

Yeah, great news :)

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

I think it may have something to do with the switch from a variable frame rate based renderer to fixed 60 frames per second that happened in the 1.24x versions. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it seems that it may have caused the engine to drop to 30 frames per second for a fraction of a second and then back to 60 again. This will probably be more visible to the eye than dropping from 60 to 59 or 58 like it used to be.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

This is great im glad its a known issue !

im not sure if this is a bug , when I open other applications beside GS , flash/photoshop/ physicsEditor and then I click on an actor the image tab disappears and the lock stays on the scene when i exit from the actor. It doesnt always happen , but it did happen to me more than 10 times. I have to quit and re open gamesalad to fix it.

Can someone check if its the same ? open other programs beside gs, click an actor and leave couple of times.

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

not for me @Icebox (1.24.40/El Capitan)

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@Icebox I see it occasionally, but not consistently and I've never been able to pin down the circumstances it occurs under.

@Armelline Yes indeed it is not consistent , but I noticed almost 70 % of the time it happens when i use other programs while having GS minimised, but again it doesnt always happen , but the way i took screen shots i opened 3 programs and kept clicking on actor and going back to scene after couple of tries it happened , so thought this was the reason it occurs.

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Has anybody notice that the constrain is "slow" , like constrain a shadow to the player and move the player around the shadow is behind

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@freneticz said:
    Has anybody notice that the constrain is "slow" , like constrain a shadow to the player and move the player around the shadow is behind

This is probably a layer order issue. Try switching the actors order in the layers tab.
    I have no problem with constrains.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

@MentalDonkeyGames said:

@freneticz said:

This is probably a layer order issue. Try switching the actors order in the layers tab.
    I have no problem with constrains.

But how do you get the shadow under the player, do you need to Control the shadow and have the player con to the shadow then......this is a new problem for me, did not have it in 0.13.30(mac)

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@freneticz said:

But how do you get the shadow under the player, do you need to Control the shadow and have the player con to the shadow then......this is a new problem for me, did not have it in 0.13.30(mac)

This is a layer issue, I'm pretty sure.

You don't need to player or to be under the shadow, that is nonsense of course. What you need to make sure is that the player and the shadow are right next to each other on the layer side of things.

If the shadow is A couple layers lower down the list, it will most definitely show the lag between processing the two actors.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@pHghost said:
    If the shadow is A couple layers lower down the list, it will most definitely show the lag between processing the two actors.

This can be true if they're next to each other, too. I've found the best thing to do is to have an invisible actor at the bottom and constrain both the main image and the shadow image to that invisible actor.

edited March 2016

I got the actors in order on the layer, still not good, but if i have the shadow over the player in layer it works. maybe do like @Armelline say but it feels to complex for a simple task that have worked before.
    or like @uptimistik say if i can figure out how it works
    But i still think is something wrong with this build because i have slowmo problem in creator and on device

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

@Armelline yes that is the best way to do it, because both layers will do exactly the same on every frame.
    @freneticz if you dont understand it, you can also unlock the shadow actor and link it directly to the hero actor. Im not sure how bad the delay is, but with global attributes there is always some delay.

• Chris FitsimonsChris Fitsimons Member Posts: 134

Would anyone know the oldest version of game salad which will publish to that engine version. Example 1.24.40 published to engine 1.24.40, 1.24.42 to engine 1.24.42. Can we go pre version 1.0?

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454

@GeorgeGS @stevej are there any plans in the near future to add iOS8 and iOS9 as minimum requirements when publishing? This would be incredibly helpful for preventing users with older devices from downloading our games/leaving bad reviews.

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@supafly129 said:
    @GeorgeGS @stevej are there any plans in the near future to add iOS8 and iOS9 as minimum requirements when publishing? This would be incredibly helpful for preventing users with older devices from downloading our games/leaving bad reviews.

My understanding is it would require a full recompile of the engine to restrict this now. It used to be a simple plist change. I can do some research, but it will be after we get the initial 1.25 release out.

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454

@GeorgeGS said:

@supafly129 said:

My understanding is it would require a full recompile of the engine to restrict this now. It used to be a simple plist change. I can do some research, but it will be after we get the initial 1.25 release out.

I see, that is unfortunate :( thanks for the speedy response and looking into it!

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@Binary Computing said:
    Would anyone know the oldest version of game salad which will publish to that engine version. Example 1.24.40 published to engine 1.24.40, 1.24.42 to engine 1.24.42. Can we go pre version 1.0?

You should be able to publish with any version you have available. You may still be able to publish with very old versions, but that doesn't mean you'll be able to put that version on the app stores as their rules do change from time to time and we can't usually fix those retroactively.

My understanding is that for 1.x forward we will always use the latest engine in that line, so 1.24.1 and 1.24.42 would both use the latest version 24 engine. For versions before 1.x I believe the Creator and Engine versions are still tied together.

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

Any update on 1.25 progress?

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

@DigiChain said:
    Any update on 1.25 progress?

This is when the GS team disappear from the thread again :wink:

• Terrellort_GamingTerrellort_Gaming Member Posts: 93

@KevinCross MMmmmMMMMmmMMm Funnnyyyyy Joke!!!"Yoda"

• ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207

i'm sure there's progress just no updates other than it'll come when it comes. =P

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

It's on it's way. Bugs are being investigated and squashed.