Stable release 1.25 is available

Comments

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485
    edited April 2016

Android performance is good , but heavy games act weird on older android devices. My game scene has alot of constrains. When i test it on older devices the game plays twice the speed and then slows down to a really low speed like its slow motion and plays twice the speed again and repeats. If i reduce the amount of constrains everything plays normal and smooth. It's the first time this happens to me , it didn't happen on earlier builds and i didnt change much with the logic or layering. The performance on new devices is good though , there is no stuttering at all and even on older devices i didn't have any stuttering , I just had this problem and i fixed it by reducing number of actors on the scene. Anyone else experienced the slow/fast speed changes on their games on older devices ?

• kirafukirafu Member, PRO Posts: 314

@Icebox yes, me too, there are some slow motion for Roll Turtle some complex scenes.
    and "there are won't trigger collision function bug" still in here.

I think the other feature is a huge step forward :smile:
    Unfortunately I still had to use 0.13.33 release Roll Turtle...

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@Icebox let @CodeWizard know what device you're using. At a certain point, this may be unavoidable. Sometimes a game's scope just requires new hardware. But if it's a device we have, he might be able to take a look.

• quattroquattro Member Posts: 66

@Dues said:

@greenentco said:
    Still stutters a little bit but not as much. I am using 1.23.3 and there is no stuttering at all.

Have you tried running your adhoc with xcode instruments to make sure it's not your fps that's causing the stutter?

I've done that and it still stutters a little bit. Much much better than before tho.

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

@Kirafu and @CodeWizard maybe you guys should connect and do a profiling pass on Roll Turtle to find the remaining performance issues?

• DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159

@quattro said:

@Dues said:

@greenentco said:
    Still stutters a little bit but not as much. I am using 1.23.3 and there is no stuttering at all.

Have you tried running your adhoc with xcode instruments to make sure it's not your fps that's causing the stutter?

I've done that and it still stutters a little bit. Much much better than before tho.

No drops in fps? What is your fps?

• quattroquattro Member Posts: 66

@Dues said:

@quattro said:

@Dues said:

@greenentco said:

No drops in fps? What is your fps?

Stable @ 60 fps. Like i said its much better then before.

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    Looks like with the change to custom fonts the way alignment works has also been changed.

In the past alignment was from the top of the first line down, now it seems to be center line of whole text body.

So when you wrap text in actor and either display different sized paragraphs (i.e. 1 vs 3 sentences) or dynamically type text using txtsubstr and indexes it becomes misaligned because that point of origin stays the same.

I'm sure I could use math to resolve it, but is this the intended functionality now?

Fantastic update, all works great for me - and I now have a Google Play app live delivering reward videos!

I do agree with @AlchimiaStudios about the changes to font alignment being a problem though, I had to do a lot of work repositioning the text being displayed based on how many lines of text it was calling from a table (which was not the case previously when the alignment was from top down).

Its going to be a lot of work updating my text heavy adventure games unless I can come up with a maths formula to do the text repositioning for me.

• fZoleefZolee Member, PRO Posts: 34

That's great, huge thanks to all the GS staff and the testers!
    Looking forward to experiment with the new build. :smile:

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

Awesome! Can't wait to try!

Thanks a lot GSTeam!

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

Awesome work GS team and testers! I hope it's as good as it all sounds :)

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

After uploading several updates, I believe there still may be a sound lag (a la sonic boom), albeit not as pronounced as before. Looping track, if edited, will have a small silence gap as well.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@joseaugusto said:
    Thanks.

Any idea on when the Cookbook will be updated with video reward ads and Tapdaq guides?

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited April 2016

thanks gamesalad guys! I had a feeling it will be arriving on a friday :)

Flying with my girlfriend to our holidays tonight but I guess gonna make the updates in the sunny Fuerteventura :))
    *If the Airplane doesn't crash. I freak-in hate flying..

@Lost_Oasis_Gam@Lost_Oasis_Games
    Tapdaq yet do they have video ads? If yes are they along as with chartboost 15-30 seconds?

Tapdaq could become a valuable alternative if the videos are shorter as I still have interstitial videos.

I just wanted to give you a thanks to the community for rallying around gamesalad during this rough time. We stuck together and it payed off! Big step forward for gamesalad and now they can focus on the tweeks.

I also wanted to list the people who worked hard and gave so much of their time for free, from this community. Beta team @Hopscotch @Armelline @Braydon_SFX @jonmulcahy @pHghost @Dues @ETGgames @fradnor @ecocitygames @JScott

edited April 2016

@Hopscotch,

I tested the apps on an LG-H345.

http://www.phonemore.com/phone/lg-leon-lte-h345/2204

Not a Galaxy S7 or Tab, but then again, my apps are not "Roll Turtle complex" :p (hello @kirafu! :) )

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@BigDave said:

Flying with my girlfriend to our holidays tonight but I guess gonna make the updates in the sunny Fuerteventura :))

Tapdaq yet do they have video ads? If yes are they along as with chartboost 15-30 seconds?

Tapdaq could become a valuable alternative if the videos are shorter as I still have interstitial videos.

I think tapdaq is cross promotion only.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239

@MentalDonkeyGames I see!

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    I just wanted to give you a thanks to the community for rallying around gamesalad during this rough time. We stuck together and it payed off! Big step forward for gamesalad and now they can focus on the tweeks.

I also wanted to list the people who worked hard and gave so much of their time for free, from this community. Beta team @Hopscotch @Armelline @Braydon_SFX @jonmulcahy @pHghost @Dues @ETGgames @fradnor @ecocitygames @JScott

Thanks guys!!!

@BigDave said:

Tapdaq is cross promotion only so chart boost is the only option for video ads. You can call any kind of ad you want based on what you select in the drop down. You could code things to rotate by placing multiple pause, change scene whatever with different drop downs selected.

• johnnymagnejohnnymagne NorwayMember Posts: 112

A great day! Thank you GS team and thank you to all you pro guys helping them out with this task! Will play the GS fiddle this weekend.....

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

I also wanted to list the people who worked hard and gave so much of their time for free, from this community. Beta team @Hopscotch @Armelline @TonyTheSpider @Braydon_SFX @jonmulcahy @pHghost @Dues @ETGgames @fradnor @ecocitygames @JScott

Great work from everyone ! Big thanks !

• pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,211

Great! 1.25 is ready for us!!! Thanks GS!

@Lost_Oasis_Games thanks for your video guide about video rewards... but i little bit confused about "add campaign"

i mean in the video guide you don't add cause is just a test... so we need to add a single campaign for video rewards? could you please reply me?

Thank you.

@pinkio75 said:
    Great! 1.25 is ready for us!!! Thanks GS!

@Lost_Oasis_Games thanks for your video guide about video rewards... but i little bit confused about "add campaign"

i mean in the video guide you don't add cause is just a test... so we need to add a single campaign for video rewards? could you please reply me?

Thank you.

I haven't delved that deep into it. You'll need to look on chart boosts site to see about adding campaigns.

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@pinkio75 - it's no different than it was before, you just select rewarded video from the menu when you setup the campaign.

edited April 2016

Tried out the fonts feature. I see what you did there. Nice, very nice. This will save a lot of weight and speed on some apps. No more pngs or constraints.

• clee2005clee2005 http://Donkeysoft.caMember, PRO Posts: 194

@CodeWizard pretty great release! I tried one of our games (Wordizt II) quickly and it didn't behave as expected, which considering the major changes it looks like GS has made, isn't surprising. I'd just like to know if there are significant performance benefits in this build that would be worth me going back and reworking an existing game to work with this build.

Thanks!

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

So far my game runs slow on samsung galaxy s4 and samsung grand prime and ipad 3 it runs slow motion on certain levels.. its smooth on iphone 5s and galaxy s7 ,s6 and s5 . I gave up trying to optomize cause i nearly removed half of my actors on the scene to make it run smooth but it just shows little improvement. Have to remove many constrains to make it run on older devices

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@Icebox The slow motion effect can happen when a single frame takes too long to process. The default target for games is all logic happening in under 1/60th of a second -- with some "fudge" to allow for up to 1/15th of a second. So, for frames where it's taking too long, you'll start seeing slowdowns. Send me a link to your app publishing page and I'll download the game and take a look on some of my android devices to see what we can optimize.

You can also get some info on what's happening with logcat. There's some gs_sim lines that will let you know when frames are skipped or lost. Slow motion would be frames being lost due to capping elapsed time between frames.

Interestingly enough, before custom collision shapes, the engine was a bit more forgiving on these things. However, the way we were handling elapsed time back then caused the physics simulation to become unstable in slow frame rate situations (among other bugs).