Stable release 1.25 is available

Comments

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

@Hopscotch I have also tried it on an Alienware desktop and it crashes as well using same method. Two different PC configs? Win 10 desktop doesn't look fine to me.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@68kStudios said:
    The table cell value update/display bug is still there on 1.25, even if it's quite rare.

So, I still can't publish my game.

Put the display text in a loop behavior. just set it to some condition that is always the same. Like height or color.

@Hypnorabbit said:
    Confirmed that this table side-scrolling bug also appears on my Alienware desktop when fresh installing 1.25. New project and everything. Not quite what I would call a "stable release" unless I'm doing something particularly stupid.

Add a bug report. As is said there are bound to be a few small things. We did have a couple windows testers. They need more windows testers.

@Hypnorabbit said:
    @MentalDonkeyGames Thanks will report. @Hopscotch I've clean installed 1.25 Windows on two computers and had the same problem. To be sure I started new projects on both as well - created tables with more than 15 columns, scrolled sideways and the app crashes. By the way the Surface Pro is brand new so I have no clue what's up with that. Any thoughts what it could be?

I don't think Creator is spec'd to run on a surface pro. We didn't have anyone testing on one I know that.

@Lost_Oasis_Games Sure - not sure creating tables in Windows is a small thing though. Was working completely fine on 1.24 as well. How do I submit a bug report?

edited May 2016

You won't have an option to select A surface Pro so you'll have to add that into the notes as Gamesalad doesn't officially support that device. http://bugs.gamesalad.com

Also, @Hopscotch knows his stuff. You'll need to include a sample project. Just a simple one nothing fancy.

@Lost_Oasis_Games As previously mentioned I have an Alienware PC so I'm also happy using Gamesalad on that, provided it worked. I'm sure Gamesalad would support that. Have used GS for 7 years in a few months and it's a little sad we have these huge periods of elation at a new release... and then huge depressions when the release has its game-breaking bugs. Things are much better than they used to be but it's a little frustrating. Thanks for the support.

• 68kStudios68kStudios Member Posts: 219
    edited May 2016

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

@68kStudios said:
    The table cell value update/display bug is still there on 1.25, even if it's quite rare.

So, I still can't publish my game.

Put the display text in a loop behavior. just set it to some condition that is always the same. Like height or color.

Actually, I don't think that the bug is on the display behavior, but on table values update.

Example:

1) I have this rule: if you have more than 100 gold, you can press a button to buy something.
    2) You get +1 item and -100 gold (values saved on table)
    3) Now you have 0 gold, and you can't press the button to buy the item.

Now, on creator it always works. On the device (iOS or Android) 99% of the time works (using 1.25, with 1.24 it only works less than 50% of the time).

And when it doesn't work properly, you can keep buy items and your gold never decreases. When you leave the scene and go back, you may have 10 items and -1000 gold.

If it was only a display text issue, you couldn't keep buy items without gold...

Anyway, with 1.25 it's very hard to reproduce, because it works properly almost always...

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@68kStudios, just try the following please:

wrap the rule that checks for available gold, in an "after 0s" timer. Then see if you still get the issue. It may be related to a rare rule locking bug which still needs to be sorted out.

edited May 2016

@Hopscotch said:

wrap the rule that checks for available gold, in an "after 0s" timer. Then see if you still get the issue. It may be related to a rare rule locking bug which still needs to be sorted out.

I usually use the loop behavior but it the same as 0 timer. Had to do this the other day for a rule that was spawning an actor. would spawn once and even when I cycled it, it wouldn't spawn again. I wrapped the offending run in a loop and forced it to respond to each change of condition.

What is the bug number? I want to add myself to it.

edited May 2016

@Lost_Oasis_Games right, the old timer/loop trick to keep rules actively checking.

However, in this case I want @68kStudios to try a "after 0s" timer, not a repeating "every 0s" timer.

This is to check if the rule locking bug may be the culprit here, where rules no longer act on state changes if they started off true on the first frame.

@Hopscotch said:
    @Lost_Oasis_Games right, the old timer/loop trick to keep rules actively checking.

However, in this case I want @68kStudios to try a "after 0s" timer, not a repeating "every 0s" timer.

This is to check if the rule locking bug may be the culprit here, where rules no longer act on state changes if they started off true on the first frame.

So you could also get around it by being sure the rule starts a false..hmmm

@Hopscotch said:
    Yes @Lost_Oasis_Games, that would fix it, but I want to confirm the bug. :)

I know you do..I was just thinking out loud :D

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327
    edited May 2016

Just installed GameSalad on my PC to check this table bug. Cannot reproduce it using Windows 7. @Hypnorabbit perhaps upload an example project that crashes (stripping out as much as possible).

Also, I want some of the interface options found in Windows on Mac... Really want...

edited May 2016

Also, I want some of the interface options found in Windows on Mac... Really want...

@Armelline you saw it too? :smiley:

edited May 2016

@Hopscotch said:

I have no idea what you mean, so probably not :D Here's a few of the things that stood out to me:

• Ability to see an actor's contents and attributes by just selecting it in a list (not having to navigate into it fully)
    • Ability to add columns/rows before after other column/rows in tables (staggers me Windows has that and Mac doesn't)
    • Ability to add tags from the actor panel
    • Ability to edit position of an actor directly without going into it
    • Honestly, how easy it is to navigate between actors/scenes/attributes etc. On Mac we have to wait 30 seconds for something to load up, on Windows they don't even need to load it
    • Ability to add/remove tables so easily
    • The displaying of the size of the tables on the table list
    • The huge number of extra zoom options when previewing
    • Ability to select an image for an actor from a dropdown within that actor
    • Ditto with tags

In particular, though, these two:

• Option to add a timer using the button at teh top of an actor's behaviours, like we can on Mac with Rule and Group.
    • Ability to add behaviours by typing

I could go on.

Frankly, I feel kinda screwed with the Mac version now... I'm going to try developing using my PC for a bit, see what I end up not liking...

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    The huge number of extra zoom options when previewing

You can set up pretty much any zoom setting you want in Mac GS using Edit Custom Resolution, but the function is rendered near useless by the fact that your setting are not saved !

@Socks said:
    You can set up pretty much any zoom setting you want in Mac GS using Edit Custom Resolution, but the function is rendered near useless by the fact that your setting are not saved !

You also have to do maths though... If I want to see an iPhone screen at 400%, or an iPad one at 25%, using a custom resolution (even if they were saved) is still a massively more annoying thing to do.

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited May 2016

@Armelline said:

@Hopscotch said:

I have no idea what you mean, so probably not :D Here's a few of the things that stood out to me:

• Ability to see an actor's contents and attributes by just selecting it in a list (not having to navigate into it fully)
    • Ability to add columns/rows before after other column/rows in tables (staggers me Windows has that and Mac doesn't)
    • Ability to add tags from the actor panel
    • Ability to edit position of an actor directly without going into it
    • Honestly, how easy it is to navigate between actors/scenes/attributes etc. On Mac we have to wait 30 seconds for something to load up, on Windows they don't even need to load it
    • Ability to add/remove tables so easily
    • The displaying of the size of the tables on the table list
    • The huge number of extra zoom options when previewing
    • Ability to select an image for an actor from a dropdown within that actor
    • Ditto with tags

In particular, though, these two:

• Option to add a timer using the button at teh top of an actor's behaviours, like we can on Mac with Rule and Group.
    • Ability to add behaviours by typing

I could go on.

Frankly, I feel kinda screwed with the Mac version now... I'm going to try developing using my PC for a bit, see what I end up not liking...

I'm 100% with you here. But a few months ago I tried to switch to Windows and unfortunately I found a lot of stuff that drove me insane, first and foremost in the backstage segment (where you work on your rules and behaviors). Rules and behaviors looked awfully bloated, it was impossible for me to keep a clear view while working on actors with more than 3 rules.
    This was amplified by the UI bugs that were present at that time (no idea if they've fixed them). For example grabbing a rule or behavior and moving it up or down to rearrange the order displayed these blue lines signaling the new place where you'll drop it but the lines didn't disappear. After working on an actor for like 1 minute my backstage was always littered with these blue lines.

Except for that backstage part there's a lot of stuff there that is SO MUCH better than in the Mac Creator (I think you've pointed out everything I can remember).

Sounds like there's the perfect creator to be had by redesigning the interface taking the best elements of Mac and of Windows!

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@Armelline windows sound great but a few features missing ie custom colours for text. Plus when using expression editor the view is rather tiny working with long strings can be very frustrating. The scrolling in the backstage-blue lines bug mentioned above is a nightmare. Makes for reordering when you've been working a while a bit of nightmare. Admittedly I didn't realize how good windows could be, I actually use most of the things you mentioned if not all.

@Armelline, nice list :)

Add to it the insert and delete rows/columns features in the windows table interface.

• 68kStudios68kStudios Member Posts: 219

@Hopscotch said:

I'll try it, thanks

@Hopscotch said:
    Add to it the insert and delete rows/columns features in the windows table interface.

I had the adding, but didn't notice you could remove as easily as well! That would save so much exporting/importing and editing in Excel!

• tmanntmann Member Posts: 278

,> @Machinist Apps said:

I've got a custom font question. I want to use the roboto font in my application. There are places where I need Roboto-regular.tff and other places where I would like Roboto-bold.ttf. I've loaded both .tff files but am only able to select one of them. Is there a way to use both?

The perils of tiny closed blinkered beta's :) The whole issue of font families seems to have been overlooked ?! or is just a very big bug.

You will have to rename every font you want to use above a single example if they are from the same family (typeface) using a tool like this http://www.cr8software.net/typex.html

@tmann said:
    The perils of tiny closed blinkered beta's :) The whole issue of font families seems to have been overlooked ?! or is just a very big bug.

Overlooked or intentional? GS is a game development tool, not a wordprocessor. :)
    I would always prefer to only import exactly the styles I need, and not bloat the package with 12 unnecessary styles.

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Member Posts: 523

@Hopscotch said:

@tmann said:

Overlooked or intentional? GS is a game development tool, not a wordprocessor. :)
    I would always prefer to only import exactly the styles I need, and not bloat the package with 12 unnecessary styles.

But it sounds like you can't import exactly the styles you want? If they're from the same family, people are running into issues.

Sorry if I'm misreading the comments here, I haven't tried 1.25 yet but this is how it's reading so far.

• tmanntmann Member Posts: 278

@Hopscotch good luck importing the 'styles' you need if they are from the same family.

@Adrenaline yep