Stable release 1.25 is available

Comments

• DerfMilarDerfMilar Member Posts: 27

Finally got around to messing with 1.25 and it is an awesome build. Thank you team for all the hard work. I'm very impressed.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@Adrenaline @tmann You can import more than one of the same family, it just take a little bit of a workaround. In short you just edit the metadata of the font. I'll make a tutorial later. Shouldn't be hard for the GS team to implement support (though I have no idea how they implemented it, so who knows).

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@tmann, @Adrenaline

I see what you mean. Yes it could be handled better, post a bug report.

I would also suggest a workaround, using a font-editor, and doing what @Armelline suggests.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

@Armelline said:

@Hopscotch said:
    @Armelline you saw it too? :smiley:

I have no idea what you mean, so probably not :D Here's a few of the things that stood out to me:

• Ability to see an actor's contents and attributes by just selecting it in a list (not having to navigate into it fully)
    • Ability to add columns/rows before after other column/rows in tables (staggers me Windows has that and Mac doesn't)
    • Ability to add tags from the actor panel
    • Ability to edit position of an actor directly without going into it
    • Honestly, how easy it is to navigate between actors/scenes/attributes etc. On Mac we have to wait 30 seconds for something to load up, on Windows they don't even need to load it
    • Ability to add/remove tables so easily
    • The displaying of the size of the tables on the table list
    • The huge number of extra zoom options when previewing
    • Ability to select an image for an actor from a dropdown within that actor
    • Ditto with tags

In particular, though, these two:

• Option to add a timer using the button at teh top of an actor's behaviours, like we can on Mac with Rule and Group.
    • Ability to add behaviours by typing

I could go on.

Frankly, I feel kinda screwed with the Mac version now... I'm going to try developing using my PC for a bit, see what I end up not liking...

I really want to be able to detach the Backstage panel and drag to a second monitor like I can on the windows version.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@strag said:

@Armelline said:

@Hopscotch said:
    @Armelline you saw it too? :smiley:

I have no idea what you mean, so probably not :D Here's a few of the things that stood out to me:

• Ability to see an actor's contents and attributes by just selecting it in a list (not having to navigate into it fully)
    • Ability to add columns/rows before after other column/rows in tables (staggers me Windows has that and Mac doesn't)
    • Ability to add tags from the actor panel
    • Honestly, how easy it is to navigate between actors/scenes/attributes etc. On Mac we have to wait 30 seconds for something to load up, on Windows they don't even need to load it
    • Ability to add/remove tables so easily
    • The displaying of the size of the tables on the table list
    • The huge number of extra zoom options when previewing
    • Ability to select an image for an actor from a dropdown within that actor
    • Ditto with tags

In particular, though, these two:

• Option to add a timer using the button at teh top of an actor's behaviours, like we can on Mac with Rule and Group.
    • Ability to add behaviours by typing

I could go on.

Frankly, I feel kinda screwed with the Mac version now... I'm going to try developing using my PC for a bit, see what I end up not liking...

I really want to be able to detach the Backstage panel and drag to a second monitor like I can on the windows version.

keeping the scene open on one window and diving into an actor in another would be such a process improvement.

• wilsongaluchowilsongalucho Member Posts: 180

@68kStudios said:

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

@68kStudios said:
    The table cell value update/display bug is still there on 1.25, even if it's quite rare.

So, I still can't publish my game.

Put the display text in a loop behavior. just set it to some condition that is always the same. Like height or color.

Actually, I don't think that the bug is on the display behavior, but on table values update.

Example:

1) I have this rule: if you have more than 100 gold, you can press a button to buy something.
    2) You get +1 item and -100 gold (values saved on table)
    3) Now you have 0 gold, and you can't press the button to buy the item.

Now, on creator it always works. On the device (iOS or Android) 99% of the time works (using 1.25, with 1.24 it only works less than 50% of the time).

And when it doesn't work properly, you can keep buy items and your gold never decreases. When you leave the scene and go back, you may have 10 items and -1000 gold.

If it was only a display text issue, you couldn't keep buy items without gold...

Anyway, with 1.25 it's very hard to reproduce, because it works properly almost always...

Hey guys any update on this? I was having this issue before too..

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

Hey @Armelline great list for Windows on Mac :) Attached is a sample project that just crashes constantly when scrolling sideways on a table. It's the most basic thing.

@Hypnorabbit said:
    Hey @Armelline great list for Windows on Mac :) Attached is a sample project that just crashes constantly when scrolling sideways on a table. It's the most basic thing.

Afraid that doesn't crash for me. Must be another variable involved.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

@Armelline said:

Those two would make alot of difference in my projects i wish they were available on mac!

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

Yes I guess Gamesalad doesn't support SP4 or Alienware Alpha's yet @Armelline. It's fine - buying a macbook fixed the problem! All systems go for 1.25.

• tmanntmann Member Posts: 278

@Armelline said:
    @Adrenaline @tmann You can import more than one of the same family, it just take a little bit of a workaround. In short you just edit the metadata of the font. I'll make a tutorial later. Shouldn't be hard for the GS team to implement support (though I have no idea how they implemented it, so who knows).

Yes I know (see previous post http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/578502/#Comment_578502 ) just a ludicrous intrinsically bad thing to be doing

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited May 2016

@tmann said:

@Armelline said:

Yes I know (see previous post http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/578502/#Comment_578502 ) just a ludicrous intrinsically bad thing to be doing

We missed testing font families. I guess we didn't consider it as gamesalad display text has never supported styles.. Maybe next time you'll join the test group with us.

Did you submit a bug report?

• 68kStudios68kStudios Member Posts: 219

@Hopscotch said:
    @68kStudios, just try the following please:

wrap the rule that checks for available gold, in an "after 0s" timer. Then see if you still get the issue. It may be related to a rare rule locking bug which still needs to be sorted out.

Tried it, and it doesn't work...

edited May 2016

@tmann said:

Why? Takes less than 5 minutes, causes no harm. No idea, but seems really pointless to complain about something so easily worked around. Submit a feature request. Did you already do that, or just complain?

Also, they used to do large beta - with the nightly and release candidate builds. The result was people complained about the bugs as if it was release software, didn't submit bug reports, and took up more support time. So perilous or not, the small beta testing team (which was an invitation opened to everyone, just only a small number offered to help), is still better than no beta testers.

@68kStudios said:

@Hopscotch said:
    @68kStudios, just try the following please:

wrap the rule that checks for available gold, in an "after 0s" timer. Then see if you still get the issue. It may be related to a rare rule locking bug which still needs to be sorted out.

Tried it, and it doesn't work...

Wrap it in a loop behavior

• GamepencilerGamepenciler Artist/Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 326
    edited May 2016

This the greatest update i've ever seen so far :blush: , I can do a lot of things than doing thing manually like the custom fonts. More power to gamesalad.
    PS: can somebody link a tutorial how to use them :)

Artist/Game Developer / Animator at your service..

@Thorhammer This is my tutorial on how to use multiple fonts from the same family, but it also shows briefly how to use the custom fonts in general:

• BenSawyerBenSawyer Member, PRO Posts: 37

Congrats GameSalad team, can't wait to use the new stuff. Keep it coming! Get some rest too.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Now that i've had the new build for a few days im really starting to like it a lot. Custom fonts are such a nice edition! Thanks for your hard work @CodeWizard @GeorgeGS @adent42 and everyone else!

I was able to get some major optimizations in over the weekend and gut out all my "pre-baked" custom fonts among other things and my game is running much much better now. Still looking forward to any tweaks we can get to the animation slowdowns though, as it does happen once in awhile.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Armelline said:
    @Thorhammer This is my tutorial on how to use multiple fonts from the same family, but it also shows briefly how to use the custom fonts in general:

Thanks, that's terrific and simple. It is hardly any trouble and worthwhile if someone really wants font family variations. If anyone is too lazy to do that they probably shouldn't be using GS anyway! ;)

• KickingBehindsKickingBehinds Member, PRO Posts: 49

I'm not sure if it is the update or improvements to my game but in the ad hoc testing my game is running extremely well (very smooth and consistent frame rate) on my iPhone 6.

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880

Good to see 1.5 is there. I'm almost done moving/decorating/renovating so will look soon... 'ish

• KnightStarKnightStar Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2016

Has anyone had any issues with the Viewer defaulting to Portrait mode when loading builds? I'm working on a project that's intended for Landscape mode and ever since upgrading to 1.25 & the latest Viewer, whenever I load a build to test, the Viewer seems to start up in portrait mode. I've tested this on my i5s, i6s, and iPad Air2 and it's constant all the way around..

Additionally, I have tweaked the Autorotate functions in Scene tab of the Creator and that does not seem to have any effect..

On a possibly related issue, I'm also seeing issues with Constrains - specifically when constraining the rotation of an actor to another actor. I'm toying with a 2-stick shooter and the "bullets" need to rotate and fire in the direction the player is touching the fire stick (using @Photics Dual Controllers joystick template - https://photics.com/gamesalad-template-dual-controllers/).

When playing in Preview mode, everything is fine, but when loading it to the device (both via Adhoc or Viewer), the bullets are not pointing at the rotation angle nor are they flying in that direction when spawned.. (This is also the case when recycling bullet actors as well)

I've created test-scenes with just the player-ship and the bullets, to remove any conflicts, and the issue is constant..

Anyone else see stuff like this?

-- J

EDIT - I'm pulling these issues out of this thread and starting two new threads, as they are different issues and I dont think we'll solve anything by muddying the waters..

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

I've been using GS for almost 7 years now, and i think this is the quietest it has ever been after a release... and with a release of this magnitude, that is really saying something.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@jonmulcahy said:
    I've been using GS for almost 7 years now, and i think this is the quietest it has ever been after a release... and with a release of this magnitude, that is really saying something.

Agreed! Again, fantastic job to the GS team for such an amazing build!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited May 2016

@KnightStar said:
    On a possibly related issue, I'm also seeing issues with Constrains - specifically when constraining the rotation of an actor to another actor. I'm toying with a 2-stick shooter and the "bullets" need to rotate and fire in the direction the player is touching the fire stick (using @Photics Dual Controllers joystick template - https://photics.com/gamesalad-template-dual-controllers/).

If the bullets need to rotate to a specific direction then constrain is a very inefficient (processor heavy) way of doing this, constrain is running 60 calculations a second for every bullet, whereas a simple change attribute should do the trick.

Constrain: 5 bullets on screen at once, for 2 seconds = 600 instructions.
    Change Att: 5 bullets on screen at once, for 2 seconds = 5 instructions

Or to put it another way, for every bullet on screen, using constrain, once it has been rotated to the correct angle, it is then, 1/60th of a second later, rotated again to the angle it's already at, and this continues every 1/60th of second, changing the value of the rotation attribute from - for example - 25 degrees to 25 degrees !! Over and over again. Hope that makes sense.

@KnightStar said:
    When playing in Preview mode, everything is fine, but when loading it to the device (both via Adhoc or Viewer), the bullets are not pointing at the rotation angle nor are they flying in that direction when spawned.. (This is also the case when recycling bullet actors as well)

Hard comment without knowing anything about how the code is set up, but it could be to do with the new order of spawning, with the rotation information not triggering until a code cycle later, but I have no clue what defines the rotation of the actor, whether it's the spawner or the actor itself, or how it's defined, so just a guess really.

@socks is right. You have to watch your layer order now very carefully. You really have to think about when your code is firing and if that info you are after will be there yet. You can no longer get away with misaligned code. Gamesalad corrected and tightened the timing and now it is tight, which is why performance is so good. So now that means timing is critical. You can't have actors X look for actors Y position if actor Y is above them in the layer, as code fires bottom to top in layers. You can use a loop behavior with an iteration of 2 to jump start actors X.

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited May 2016

What a fantastic release! Just tested my game on my old Kindle Fire and my S3. Runs like a dream! Earlier versions were near unplayable but now it's almost as smooth as on my iPod Touch 5.

Now the last thing keeping me from releasing on Android is the lack of Google Play Services, hope they'll be added in a future release.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@Hoodloc said:
    What a fantastic release! Just tested my game on my old Kindle Fire and my S3. Runs like a dream! Earlier versions were near unplayable but now it's almost as smooth as on my iPod Touch 5.

Now the last thing keeping me from releasing on Android is the lack of Google Play Services, hope they'll be added in a future release.

It's the most requested feature at the moment, so it should be the next big feature they'll add. Ofcourse bug fixing should go before anything else, but the current build seems to be free of big bugs.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter