WIP - currently nameless mobile app

Comments

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

Looks excellent socks. So how many animation frames are you on so far?

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672
    edited November 2016

Might I suggest @Socks , for extra awesomeness, you don't leave a tyre trail for the side that's currently up off the ground? :smiley: It just looked like it would be a quick and effective 'added realism' change for your genius... :wink:

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited November 2016

@iamcartez said:
    Omg this looks amazing, I expected something great and you still over delivered!!!

Cheers iamcartez ! :)

@GreenfroggGames said:
    Awesome *1000000

Cheeeers GreenfroggGames !!

@smurfted said:
    Looks excellent socks. So how many animation frames are you on so far?

Loads, in the hundreds ! :) I've not counted them, but the only things that are being animated are the car, its shadow (as a separate actor) and the disc, but the file sizes are tiny, around ~10kb each . . . hundreds of images for a single actor might seem like a lot to some people, but a single 2048 x 2048 background image can be as much as 13MB, which uses the same amount of memory as around 1,300 of my 10kb images, and people don't think twice about throwing a few of these larger images into their game, GameSalad is excellent at shuffling around image sequences.

@Japster said:
    Might I suggest @Socks , for extra awesomeness, you don't leave a tyre trail for the side that's currently up off the ground? :smiley: It just looked like it would be a quick and effective 'added realism' change for your genius... :wink:

I did try that, but in the militant pursuit of efficiency the tracks are a single image - for use in the Particles behaviour - rather than two different Particles behaviours (one for each wheel), so the way it's set up means it's not easy to switch off just one trial (for one wheel) - and GS's particle behaviour is a real pain when it comes to controlling particles like that, I did try a more realistic trail with two Particle spawners, so for example when the car is skidding the trails should come closer together and join into one when the wheels approach perpendicularity to the direction of the skid, but at the end of the day I preferred the overall look of the parallel lines, aesthetics won out over realism . . and . . . what the hell is a car doing producing a pink tyre trail anyway ! :)

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Love it! For some reason, it made me think of Rocket League for XBOX.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

@Socks said:

@freneticz said:
    Nice @Socks , how to make the tire trails so nice

Cheers freneticz, it's simply particles, just a bunch of particles spawning, but they have no velocity, so they stay where they are spawned, the only other thing is that their colour is changing from pink to purple (and the purple is set to alpha=0, so they fade out as they turn purple), that's really all there is to it, nothing complicated.

Ok , but what kind of actor do you spawn... i cant get the trails so smooth & even

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

Outstanding work @Socks almost magical!

Cheers @tatiang and @gingagaming ! :)

edited November 2016

@freneticz said:
    Ok , but what kind of actor do you spawn...

I'm using the Particles behaviour rather than spawning actors. Example attached:

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

@Socks said:

I did try that, but in the militant pursuit of efficiency the tracks are a single image - for use in the Particles behaviour - rather than two different Particles behaviours (one for each wheel), so the way it's set up means it's not easy to switch off just one trial (for one wheel) - and GS's particle behaviour is a real pain when it comes to controlling particles like that, I did try a more realistic trail with two Particle spawners, so for example when the car is skidding the trails should come closer together and join into one when the wheels approach perpendicularity to the direction of the skid, but at the end of the day I preferred the overall look of the parallel lines, aesthetics won out over realism . . and . . . what the hell is a car doing producing a pink tyre trail anyway ! :)

Ha ha! - Why am I not surprised that you'd already tried that, and there was a damn good reason for your NOT having done it... :smiley: Clever idea with the particle image though, to get 2 trails for the (processing) price of one! :smiley:

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

OMG @socks this is amazing mate, I'm just shocked that GS is handling this, now i know your a coding guru but i just didn't imagine this was possible, hows it running on a device? IOS?

i have a question about the cars trails, I'm doing something similar in a game, i.e. trails follow my player but it gets pretty laggy after a while, so i had to shorted the destroy time, I'm not using particles though I'm using actors! is this my problem.

anyways, i can't really fault the video, would be able to give a proper critique when there is more level etc, but the handling looks pretty nice, and i like the little lift as you turn, design wise i like it, the car looks chibi style, have you ever played road trip on the playstation! you'll see what i mean, i think its calle quarro q racer in japan,

all in all i love it, looking forward to seeing more mate

@Japster said:
    Ha ha! - Why am I not surprised that you'd already tried that, and there was a damn good reason for your NOT having done it... :smiley: Clever idea with the particle image though, to get 2 trails for the (processing) price of one! :smiley:

I got the idea from Pizza Hut.

@jay2dx said:
    OMG @socks this is amazing mate

Thanks jay2dx :smile:

@jay2dx said:
    I'm just shocked that GS is handling this, now i know your a coding guru but i just didn't imagine this was possible, hows it running on a device? IOS?

As I've mentioned above there's not actually a lot going, it runs just great, even on older underpowered devices, I have an iPad 3 (fractionally less powerful that its predecessor the non-Retina iPad 2) and it runs great, 60fps all the way - after the iPad 3 Apple really upped the power of the iPads (the iPad 4 is much more powerful than the iPad - and the iPad Airs and newer Pros are off the scale compared to the 2/3), so I use the 3 as my reference (I've never thought it's worth compromising the performance of your project to accommodate the iPad 1).

And like I say, there's not really that much going on, it just looks like more work for the processor, but in reality it's just a bunch of constrains and a lot of image shuffling (and even here the images are tiny, typically less than 15kb)

@jay2dx said:
    i have a question about the cars trails, I'm doing something similar in a game, i.e. trails follow my player but it gets pretty laggy after a while, so i had to shorted the destroy time, I'm not using particles though I'm using actors! is this my problem.

It is !

I can't remember the actual numbers, but with particles you can have thousands on screen at once, it might even be tens of thousands, whereas with actors anything over two or three hundred (depending on what they are doing) will typically start to strain the processor.

@jay2dx said:
    anyways, i can't really fault the video, would be able to give a proper critique when there is more level etc, but the handling looks pretty nice, and i like the little lift as you turn, design wise i like it, the car looks chibi style, have you ever played road trip on the playstation! you'll see what i mean, i think its calle quarro q racer in japan,

Cheers, I've never played RoadTrip, I'll check it out !

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410

3D looks astonishing and then superb camera work.
    Lovely.

Reminds me a bit of Zarch(aka Virus) by David Braben. Hmmm. Not sure where the similarity is.

• rainwaterstudiosrainwaterstudios Member Posts: 198

@Braydon_SFX said:
    @Socks And everyone here can agree that it's about time you put together a WIP, you wicked genius.

Definitely agree, a tutorial would be AWESOME!

edited November 2016

@socks cheers for the breakdown lad :) particles are fine in IOS right?

@Valan said:
    3D looks astonishing and then superb camera work.
    Lovely.

Reminds me a bit of Zarch(aka Virus) by David Braben. Hmmm. Not sure where the similarity is.

Cheers Valan :) I sort of know what you mean about Zarch, it might not look the same, but it might be the simplicity of it (visually) ?

@jay2dx said:

No problem, yes particles work perfectly on iOS, do some tests, make a simple project that just produces particles to check out the limits of performance.

@Socks said:

@jay2dx said:

No problem, yes particles work perfectly on iOS, do some tests, make a simple project that just produces particles to check out the limits of performance.

Will do, thank you, I'm trying to create a pretty long paint trail bloating on paper, ie it gets slightly larger but stops increasing in size! Then about 5 seconds it starts to disappear! And catch up to the player.

I have it working with actors but as I said its gets laggy if I keep the trail longer than 2 secconds

• quinn221quinn221 Member Posts: 280

wow

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Amazing stuff right here! I follow you with shuffling the imaged for the car movement and environment, but the camera movement I must say is very impressive and I can't figure out how you approach that.

@jay2dx said:
    I'm trying to create a pretty long paint trail bloating on paper, ie it gets slightly larger but stops increasing in size! Then about 5 seconds it starts to disappear! And catch up to the player.

That should be pretty straightforward to do with particles.

edited November 2016

@pHghost said:
    Amazing stuff right here!

Cheers ! :)

• I keep trying to figure out how you are doing this. While I see some things, I have no idea how you did those windows! Super cool work. And on top of being impressive, it also looks super fun!

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Hope development is going well. Look forward to your next update.
    Best,
    Two.E

• evertevert Member Posts: 266

holy !@#$%! Was not sure gamesalad was able to do this! looks as great 3d in a 2d engine!
    i'm amazed!

• 8bitninja8bitninja Member Posts: 367

Wow! This is looking really great, Socks!

@RossmanBrothersGames said:
    I keep trying to figure out how you are doing this. While I see some things, I have no idea how you did those windows! Super cool work. And on top of being impressive, it also looks super fun!

@Two.E said:
    Hope development is going well. Look forward to your next update.
    Best,
    Two.E

@evert said:
    holy ****! Was not sure gamesalad was able to do this! looks as great 3d in a 2d engine!
    i'm amazed!

@8bitninja said:
    Wow! This is looking really great, Socks!

Thanks for the feedback everyone :) Should have some more progress soon . . .

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Socks I've been meaning to comment on this since you put it up, but I wasn't sure what to say... well because I'm awestruck!

I keep coming back and looking at every other day, so I figured I should have said something by now.

This bloody brilliant! :astonished:

@PhilipCC said:
    @Socks I've been meaning to comment on this since you put it up, but I wasn't sure what to say... well because I'm awestruck!

I keep coming back and looking at every other day, so I figured I should have said something by now.

This bloody brilliant! :astonished:

Thanks Philip !!

Hopefully when I get time I can upload some updates . . .

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Bump. In hopes it inspires an update video.