WIP - currently nameless mobile app

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Two.E said:
    Bump. In hopes it inspires an update video.

Cheers Two.E (if you are still in touch with the forum!!) . . . .

No updates video as yet, although things are progressing, I decided on a name "adroit" (meaning nimble / agile / skilful) . . although I'm not so sure about it now, here's my first attempt at a logo for the name, although it might get changed !

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@Socks said:

@Two.E said:

No updates video as yet, although things are progressing, I decided on a name "adroit" (meaning nimble / agile / skilful) . . although I'm not so sure about it now, here's my first attempt at a logo for the name, although it might get changed !

How do I put this...

I love it!

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

That's pretty cool.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

Impressive ! :) keep up the good work

@Braydon / @Toque / @Icebox

Cheers for the feedback :)

• GreenfroggGamesGreenfroggGames Member Posts: 224

Looks very inviting and professional

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Very nice. The drawing of the logo is very reminiscent of the tire tracks in the game... nice tie in.

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Member Posts: 523

This is really, really nice!

It looks GREAT as-is, but you did mention it might change, so maybe...

1 - Think about kerning just a little bit more. I see the "i" and "t" as a little tight compared to the rest of the word. It's very slight, but hey.

2 - It might be fun to vary the speed of the animation in certain spots. it looks like each path takes the same amount of time from start to finish, so shorter paths like the "t" feel slow. It could look cool if one of the swoops (the start of the "a"?) sped up like it was rounding a corner at a high speed. And for the "t", maybe start it a hair later?

Just my humble thoughts on a high-quality piece. Well done.

edited February 2017

@Adrenaline said:
    1 - Think about kerning just a little bit more. I see the "i" and "t" as a little tight compared to the rest of the word. It's very slight, but hey.

Agreed, I was never happy with the kerning, letters kept going left and right, by single pixels for what seemed like forever.

The problem for me is that if I move the 't' out you start to see the gap between the 'i' and the 't' too much (it starts to appear as a dark vertical line, I thought about joining the 'i' to the 't' to break it up, might help)

Also I kept seeing the 'roi' as one piece and felt it needed to have the same space on its left and right, in fact my temptation was to centre the 'roi' between the 'd' and the 't' . . . which would move the 'i' closer to the 't' . . . which would then accentuate the tightness you pointed out . . . !

Mmmm . . . you wouldn't think it'd be such a problem, after all there are only three pieces to it ! :#

Anyhow, yes I absolutely agree the kerning isn't quite there yet.

@Adrenaline said:
    2 - It might be fun to vary the speed of the animation in certain spots. it looks like each path takes the same amount of time from start to finish, so shorter paths like the "t" feel slow. It could look cool if one of the swoops (the start of the "a"?) sped up like it was rounding a corner at a high speed. And for the "t", maybe start it a hair later?

Yes, also agreed ! I orginally played around with the timing pretty much as you described, but I liked the fact that all the parts reach their goal at the same time, but I might revisit the idea, see if I can get a nice rhythm going . . . .

@Adrenaline said:
    Just my humble thoughts on a high-quality piece. Well done.

Cheers for the feedback, really useful to hear other people spot the same issues I had, sometimes I think I'm being overly concerned about inconsequential stuff, but good to hear others can see the same things !!

@Socks , I'm glad it was well-received!

It's also nice to hear that you were/are already considering the same things. I completely follow your thought process - you're going to nail it.

If you don't mind, I'll continue examining...

I considered recommending you move the 'r' closer to the 'o' to match the space between the 'o' and 'i'...but then you run the risk of the 'r' being unreadable as an 'r'!

...and then I had to stop because I found myself in a familiar position. When I'm struggling with kerning, my natural move is to reduce the spacing. But, in reality, that rarely looks great. If you find spacing between one pair of letters that you absolutely love, EXPAND the kerning throughout the rest of the word to match. And this approach will avoid muddying the readability of the 'r', yay!

As far as timing goes, experimentation will point you to the solution. I think it would be best if you mostly leave it as-is, but with maybe one or two points of interest (different speeds). If you vary the speeds of every path being drawn, I suspect it'll become a bit distracting and then you'll love the sense of elegance and finesse that you've already achieved.

• @Socks said:

@Two.E said:

ooo, very cool

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

This looks amazing! Cant wait to see how the game feels!

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

I'll add a couple thoughts to @Adrenaline's.

I agree it could add a more dynamic feeling to it if the growth wasn't all at the same speed. I also agree with you that it's nice for them to finish at the same time.

You could possibly achieve both -- speeding up in turns, but slowing on straights (or variations of thereof), so the finale is still synchronized, but the process has a certain dynamic asynchronicity.

Second impression: because of the way the fattening of the line and growth of the 't' is in lockstep, at the start, before the shoulder starts growing to the right, it seems like a grub being magnified -- i.e. just the final shape being made larger, as apposed to being drawn.

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Fixed it for you.

Two.E

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@Two.E said:
    Fixed it for you.

Two.E

Bahahaha

@pHghost said:
    I'll add a couple thoughts to @Adrenaline's.

I agree it could add a more dynamic feeling to it if the growth wasn't all at the same speed. I also agree with you that it's nice for them to finish at the same time.

You could possibly achieve both -- speeding up in turns, but slowing on straights (or variations of thereof), so the finale is still synchronized, but the process has a certain dynamic a synchronicity.

I'll definitely play around with the speeds to see if I can extract something interesting.

@pHghost said:
    Second impression: because of the way the fattening of the line and growth of the 't' is in lockstep, at the start, before the shoulder starts growing to the right, it seems like a grub being magnified -- i.e. just the final shape being made larger, as apposed to being drawn.

Yep ! Absolutely agree, I also noticed that !

If you look at the other strokes, like the start of the 'r', the fattening of the line is linear, it starts out with a diameter of 0 and hits the target diameter with a hard stop, all the strokes used to do this, but because the 't' was by itself over on the right, you really felt this hard stop, you actually felt a little 'pulse', so I dampened the end of the diameter growth (the fattening of the line) . . . but like you say, it now looks like it's just enlarging / being magnified !

Like I said to @Adrenaline I'm glad you've picked up on the same things I'd also thought weren't working 100% . . . thanks for the feedback, really useful, you spotting these details confirms my suspicions !

@Adrenaline said:
    I considered recommending you move the 'r' closer to the 'o' to match the space between the 'o' and 'i'...but then you run the risk of the 'r' being unreadable as an 'r'!

Yup ! I went there too ! :)

@Adrenaline said:
    ...and then I had to stop because I found myself in a familiar position. When I'm struggling with kerning, my natural move is to reduce the spacing. But, in reality, that rarely looks great.

Just keep going until you have a single merged character, you can't have any kerning issues with a single character !!! :smile:

@Adrenaline said:
    As far as timing goes, experimentation will point you to the solution. I think it would be best if you mostly leave it as-is, but with maybe one or two points of interest (different speeds). If you vary the speeds of every path being drawn, I suspect it'll become a bit distracting and then you'll love the sense of elegance and finesse that you've already achieved.

Yeah, this is the kind of thing you just need to play around with to see what feels good, there is no right or wrong answer.

@RossmanBrothersGames said:
    ooo, very cool

Cheers !! :)

edited February 2017

@fmakawa said:
    This looks amazing! Cant wait to see how the game feels!

Thanks fmakawa :smile:
    It feels sorta' like the surface of an iPad :p

@Two.E said:
    Fixed it for you.
    Two.E

Lol !! :D :)

That's the promotion sorted out !!!

@beefy_clyro said:
    I think it looks awesome

Cheers beefy !! :)

edited February 2017

@Adrenaline

New kerning . . . . (top image kerning - lower image new kerning)

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Much better, in my view!

edited February 2017

@Socks

I actually don't like it as much as the old one. The old one was really close to perfect, but the new one reads (if I exaggerate) like:

ad r o i t

The problem now is in how close the 'ad' is. It looks like you didn't adjust that spacing, and I suspect the reason was because you wanted to maintain the angle of the connecting stroke. Fair enough.

If that's the case, I'd go back to the old version and then just split the difference for the 'it' spacing that you used in the old and new versions.

Basically: old version, nudge the 't' out ever so slightly ---> perfect!

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Logo. First one with closer kerning.

Also, since this is the first time I've seen the video for this thread:

• elementappdevelementappdev Member, PRO Posts: 55

I will name my first child Socks if you can show a tutorial or something on how to do this! AMAZING WORK! @Socks

• elementappdevelementappdev Member, PRO Posts: 55

@RossmanBrothersGames said:

@Socks said:

@Two.E said:

ooo, very cool

How do you go about making something like that? Is it photoshop or some other program? I really like it!

@elementappdev said:

How do you go about making something like that? Is it photoshop or some other program? I really like it!

Probably After Effects