State of GameSalad on 7-19-2017 (Web Version Semi-open Beta)

ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554
edited July 2017 in GameSalad Kitchen

Hello everyone!

I apologize for the delay in posting an update for you guys, but this one should prove to be exciting :)

New Web Version

We’ve been heads down working on this for awhile now and we’ve made huge progress. So much so that I’m happy to announce the opening of our semi-open beta! If you’re interested, simply shoot me a message and I’ll get you all set up with access.

There’s still some critical features missing from the web version, but building projects is completely possible!

Here’s a list of the more major missing functionality:

• Copy/paste for behaviors/actors/scenes etc
  • Undo
  • Writing to tables through the change table value behavior
  • Publishing to your portfolio
  • In app purchase behaviors
  • Ability to import custom collisions
  • Probably a couple other things that escape me currently (edit: if you share a project link with anyone they will have complete access to your project, so don't do that)

On the other hand, there’s some new functionality! Some of the new improvements include include:

• Zoom in the scene editor
  • Actor multi-select for the scene editor
  • A reworked expression editor with autocomplete functionality so that you can type/select attributes, as well as basic error handling to stop you from submitting invalid expressions
  • Tables are listed under their own attribute type (tables) instead of with the list of game attributes
  • You can playtest animations directly in the animate behavior

Once again, if you’re interested in checking it out, simply shoot me a message and I’ll get you all set up with access!

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited July 2017

Woohoo!

Y'all are gonna love it. :)

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

To keep things simple, appealing to me won't help you with / speed up beta access... the power is all in @ForumNinja 's hands.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034
    edited July 2017

Unless you hand deliver / have delivered brisket from either Franklin's, La BBQ, or Micklethwait Craft Meats. That might get me have you bumped up the list.

Oh yah, one more note.

If you see some weirdness, do a hard refresh (hold shift and hit refresh on most browsers).

We're constantly fixing bugs and updating during the beta, so you might be in a weird state in the browser and a refresh will get you the latest and greatest.

Also, the beta server is disposable. That means that when the beta ends, or when we feel it's necessary, your projects will go bye-bye. Don't do any important work on there until we tell you it's safe (or we put in the publish functionality, which will let you save the project to your publishing portfolio).

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485
    edited July 2017

Edit: Thanks for the update

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

This is so rad!

• jasonnowakjasonnowak Member Posts: 67

Woot woot!

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Member Posts: 523

Very cool! Thank you!

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

Look forward to reviewing! Right now it keeps hanging on me but a hard refresh works.

• SEMASEMA Member Posts: 161

wohoooo!!!!!

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Did the search function make it? I remember kissing one of you when it was announced.
    Glad to hear you guys are making progress.
    Sounds like an exhausting project.

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@ForumNinja @adent42 the bug reporting form needs a photo submit option to give better feedback.

@Toque said:
    Did the search function make it? I remember kissing one of you when it was announced.
    Glad to hear you guys are making progress.
    Sounds like an exhausting project.

Yep! It's in there. You're able to search through actors, scene, behaviors, etc.

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@fmakawa I'll see if that's something I can add right quick.

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@Toque There's currently search functionality for:

• Behaviors in the library
    • Actors
    • Scenes
    • Tables
    • Game Attributes
    • Scene Attributes
    • Actor Attributes
    • Layers

@ForumNinja Is there a way to access scene attributes via expression editor or is the feature still missing ?

@Icebox yes
    @fmakawa sadly no. It's a failing in the issue tracking software we're using. Please drop your photos on dropbox or photobucker or whatever the hip kids are using these days for now. I have an idea on how to get photo attachments, but I'm trying to get copy/paste working and I'm assuming you want that first.

@Icebox looks like there's a bug. You can set default scene attributes using "change attribute" from a prototype, but right now using a scene attribute in an expression is broken (but it's bug, not a non-feature)!

@adent42 said:
    ...but I'm trying to get copy/paste working and I'm assuming you want that first.

Yes.. I like your thinking!

• EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451

Will the desktop creator still be available once this comes out of beta? It's just I'm working on a big project for work and I don't want to keep going with it if the desktop version is going to be obsolete.

It takes time to get used to the new UI but it works great, my only concern comes with the performance if it will be able to handle big projects or not, and the loading time it takes to navigate between scenes/actors/tables, few seconds on an empty project. It is still in beta so its okay for now. Everything functions great except for few bugs. Loving the hide layer/actor , zoom , typing in the expression editor makes developing much faster. I didn't think you would be able to build this in few months , awesome.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

@Icebox said:
    It takes time to get used to the new UI but it works great, my only concern comes with the performance if it will be able to handle big projects or not, and the loading time it takes to navigate between scenes/actors/tables, few seconds on an empty project. It is still in beta so its okay for now. Everything functions great except for few bugs. Loving the hide layer/actor , zoom , typing in the expression editor makes developing much faster. I didn't think you would be able to build this in few months , awesome.

Thanks for quick review.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@EireStudios said:
    Will the desktop creator still be available once this comes out of beta? It's just I'm working on a big project for work and I don't want to keep going with it if the desktop version is going to be obsolete.

Yes, they said desktop creator will still continue, then eventually with a version you can work on offline and possibly an iPad online version as well one day.

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

I have been flushed out of self exile, this is interesting.

@lycettebros said:
    I have been flushed out of self exile, this is interesting.

Welcome back. :)

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

Oooo looking forward to trying this :) just as I'm finishing up a few games that have taken me a year to make! :)

• NKBDLNKBDL Member, PRO Posts: 100

Woohoo!! I really need this. So where shall we post feedback later? I PM you Ninja thanks.

• rainwaterstudiosrainwaterstudios Member Posts: 198

@adent42 said:
    Also, the beta server is disposable. That means that when the beta ends, or when we feel it's necessary, your projects will go bye-bye. Don't do any important work on there until we tell you it's safe (or we put in the publish functionality, which will let you save the project to your publishing portfolio).

Is there a way to export/download projects?

@rainwaterstudios not right now. You can import, but not export. I'm hoping to get export done before we decommission the beta server, but that's not a guarantee. Export is going to work by publishing. You will eventually be able to publish your games to your portfolio and then download them from there.