State of GameSalad on 7-19-2017 (Web Version Semi-open Beta)

Comments

• NKBDLNKBDL Member, PRO Posts: 100

I went in did a few tries, it d' be cool if we can import our existing projects and work there. Or, later every project is on cloud where we can just work with a team of people and fellow developers (say for me, I do the logics and my partner do the graphics)

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@NKBDL you can load existing projects, if you've published them (at least most projects).

If you check under the 'Projects' menu item along the left, then click on the 'Published Projects' tab.

Clicking on the 'Import into your project library' will pull your project into the tool.

The app lies right now and says it will tell you when it's ready, but it doesn't yet. You will need to hit refresh after you hit that button a couple of times to see the update. (Click on the 'Project Library' link before refresh.

Also, because of the way projects sync to the database, you can actually have multiple people working on the same project. Right now you'd have to share the same login to do that, but eventually, we would add the ability to invite people to your project as needed.

The bad thing is you can't publish your projects back to the publishing system yet. That's something we'll be adding in later next month.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited July 2017

After a bit of testing, I must say i'm really impressed with this early beta. They got a lot done in a short amount of time. Being able to work simultaneous in the cloud with others and having it sync automatically is wonderful. I can now see the big potential for this tool.

The UI enhancements for sorting, being able to see an actors attributes such as X,Y values, RGB values etc without clicking through several screens, and zooming is very nice. Although it is a little slow right now to load views (probably due to beta server or code).

Excellent job @adent42 and anyone else involved!

That being said, my big project wont import at all, and no error message is given. Just wont even import. So that's a bit scary, and i'm glad we have the desktop creator still.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485
    edited July 2017

They keep updating the creator , they really work fast , i left it for a couple of days now i come to see new things .

Toggle library , toggle inspector , coloured behaviours (thank god) , attributes are displayed with their type , expand/compact , my imported project didn't work at first but now i can edit the behaviours, using decimals in the expression editor , copy paste behaviours, behaviour tabs no longer take ages to hide/show , they now show with a click. I just hope they do something about the behaviour's size sooner than later , Rules take the whole working space , i'm sure they can improve it , but right now it really is great. Cant wait to see more ! (dark ui /snap to grid/colour palette will make my day :p )

Regarding performance i know that html5 can handle big games i'v seen live examples with another web tool , so i'm waiting with patience but i'm still worried if they will do it or not, i hope Gamesalad doesn't turn into "make simple games" type of engine for education purposes only , cause we can actually make big complex games with it.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@adent42 is a beast pushing those updates for y'all. :) lots of cool stuff coming!

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

So in case you were wondering, the import of large projects is a server issue and not a "tool" issue.

We're trying an experiment using Amazon Lambda to process the imports (I was hoping that we could eventually move publishing to Amazon lambda as well).

Unfortunately, Lambda has some hard limits on disk space (512MB) and processing time (5 minutes). So if your project is either larger than 512MB or takes longer than 5 minutes to upload to the project database, it won't work. I'm leaving things as they are for now, because it's 'good enough' for the beta and for school that will be using this with smaller projects.

As for the long loading times during navigation, we traced some of that to a network call. Basically we were checking user credentials against the server every time someone switched views. So the further you were away from our auth server, the longer navigation between views took. We've adjusted how often we check, so it shouldn't be a problem. There are still some navigation delays based on rendering time (some inefficient stuff I did to get a faster release).

We'll be fixing both of these issue, but there are some major bugs to get through first.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

Awesome ! its just nice to know that they are known issues and will be looked at later on, getting the bugs fixed is more important. I'm loving the web tool cant wait to see more .

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239

@adent42
    huge relief!
    most projects shouldn't be bigger than 512 mb - which would also exclude them from an android release (100 mb limit)

• ZwireZwire Member, PRO Posts: 179

Why dont you guys make the windows creator version bug free/more efficient instead of working on other stuff? I am having so many problems with it.

To name just 2 :

1.all the images are not in alphabetical order. Imagine finding an image when you have 200 images?

1. I cant copy certain actors and have to make everything seperate.

And the list is a lot longer....

@Zwire - The new tool has all of that functionality. One of the reasons for building the new tool is that both native tools were built upon bloated code; this makes adding new features extremely time-consuming and it's a difficult process. The benefit of having this new online tool is a new, streamlined code base & updates no longer have to be pushed through installs - pushing updates is practically instant compared to how it use to be done. Overall, fixing/adding functionality will both be much quicker. I'd recommend hopping in the new tool if you haven't already!

edited August 2017

@BigDave said:
    @adent42
    huge relief!
    most projects shouldn't be bigger than 512 mb - which would also exclude them from an android release (100 mb limit)

True, but some are and should be that size, or else you end up with nothing but small (and often unambitious) projects. It's only because GS doesn't support android expansion files that we cant have projects larger than 100mb.

Hope to see it supported in the future, because the web version keeps looking better and better.

@BigDave said:
    @adent42
    huge relief!

True, but some are and should be that size, or else you end up with nothing but small (and often unambitious) projects. It's only because GS doesn't support android expansion files that we cant have projects larger than 100mb.

Hope to see it supported in the future, because the web version keeps looking better and better.

No fucking way!!!

My project is almost done and is around 350 mb, 1.5 years of work in it and more than $10.000 and now Im hearing I cant publish on android?

Set back after major set back with Game Salad.

Wish I never started with this crap!

@Braydon_SFX said:
    @Zwire - The new tool has all of that functionality. One of the reasons for building the new tool is that both native tools were built upon bloated code; this makes adding new features extremely time-consuming and it's a difficult process. The benefit of having this new online tool is a new, streamlined code base & updates no longer have to be pushed through installs - pushing updates is practically instant compared to how it use to be done. Overall, fixing/adding functionality will both be much quicker. I'd recommend hopping in the new tool if you haven't already!

Thanks Braydon for your reaction.

Guess ill try it out.

Where can I acces the new tool?

@Zwire said:
    Thanks Braydon for your reaction.

Guess ill try it out.

Where can I acces the new tool?

Just message @ForumNinja and he'll give you online access!

I am trying to submit an html5 engine bug , but the beta issue form no longer works , do we submit via GS bug tracker ?

@Icebox - You can submit bugs related to the online tool here: http://help.gamesalad.com/beta-issue-form/

edited August 2017

@Braydon_SFX I used it couple of times before but its not working anymore i test it every day , the link keeps loading with a blank page.
    "Waiting for help.gamesalad.com..."

I got it to work after leaving it on for a while but it just displays the title

"HTML5 Creator Beta – Issue Form" , nothing else

• paulkerrypaulkerry Member, PRO Posts: 25

are you guys trying to compete with Construct 3? its completely online. But they are way ahead of you guys with you beta, there close to a final version, you guys have a lot to catch up on and you need to have steam support for mac and pc.

@paulkerry honestly no. We announced it independently and I only found out about Construct 3 shortly after we started.

I'm guessing we arrived at the same conclusions independently. HTML5 as a technology is good enough for apps and is cross-platform by default. Eventually this tool will replace the desktop versions of the app (we're gonna wrap our HTML5 but give it an "offline" mode).

If you want steam support for PC, you can just an HTML5 exported game in nw.js just like you would a Construct game (We don't support the steam achievement APIs yet, but that's something I'd like to add on). We'd love to port the native engine to PC as well, but there's a lot of other stuff to do first.

Our product will be coming out of beta soon for education and by the end of the year it will support most, if not all, the same features as the native versions.

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

@adent42 said:
    Eventually this tool will replace the desktop versions of the app (we're gonna wrap our HTML5 but give it an "offline" mode).

Oh. I had really hoped this wasn't going to be the case. I like everything about the Mac version expect for that fact that I can't edit an actors variables without opening up the actor.

@Two.E sorry about that, we're trying to make things more manageable by narrowing down to one code base. If you aren't on the beta yet, you should give it a shot (ping @ForumNinja. It's not quite "there" yet, but it's got a lot of cool stuff that I think will make the transition worth i!

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@adent42 When the final of the online version is released will there be video tutorials pointing out the differences and additions/omissions from the Mac and Windows versions, so us loyal old-timers can get up to speed quickly and be productive ASAP?

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

@PhilipCC said:
    @adent42 When the final of the online version is released will there be video tutorials pointing out the differences and additions/omissions from the Mac and Windows versions, so us loyal old-timers can get up to speed quickly and be productive ASAP?

If this is focussed for education. Some top notch video tutorials would be essential......What teacher would pick up the new GS without those resources?

In my opinion the resources and tutorial are equally important as the tool itself.

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited August 2017

Oh, totally forgot the early access for the web tool. @ForumNinja could I please get access too? Would love to give it a try! :)

Or should I send ForumNinja a pn?

@PhilipCC said:

I'm prepping a video that will introduce those transitioning to the new tool. It will cover the new UI, how it's different compared to the native tools, and also showcase some of the nice new features.

@birdboy said:
    Oh, totally forgot the early access for the web tool. @ForumNinja could I please get access too? Would love to give it a try! :)

Or should I send ForumNinja a pn?

Go ahead and send him a DM. He'll get you hooked up.

What kind of time frame are we looking at for the eventual removal of the desktop app @adent42 ? If the native creators are eventually going to support .exe, does that mean they aren't going away anytime soon?

I only ask because right now the beta web creator cannot handle my main project (file size limit on servers) so it's a bit scary to hear that without being able to test it in the web creator, I will be forced to move to it at an undetermined time without the knowledge that my project will even run. To be a bit dramatic, I am in a potential situation to lose thousands and thousands of hours of work right at the final stretch of development on a multi-year project. So a time frame would be great ;)