State of GameSalad on 7-19-2017 (Web Version Semi-open Beta)

Comments

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

whispers

Also, if you're on the beta, looking for a tighter interface before we're ready, and you're handy with CSS: you could always use a browser extension that lets you customize CSS... ;)

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229
    edited August 2017

@adent42 Thanks for the quick reply (I know you're busy) and congratulation on getting the HTML creator together, it seems to be moving along quite nicely.
    I can not wait to switch!

@adent42 said:
    Our product will be coming out of beta soon for education and by the end of the year it >will support most, if not all, the same features as the native versions.

Really! That's like 3 and half month away. :) <3
    Is this timeframe taking into account the laws of diminishing returns?…’( big brush strokes make huge impact, then as the pictures gets more advanced more and more time is spent on tiny important details, which effectively derail timeframe estimation done at the “big brush” stage.)

Being on the short end of the stick (developer), I have few more questions.
    This would help some of us plan and prepare future projects.

1. Viral looping being so vital to a game's growth and ultimately to it’s success,
      are we going to have better ways to share links?
      The tweet sheet is one things, how about access to the iPhone internal sharing screen, like all other modern games?

2. Since the new code base won’t be bloated, can we expect competitive loading times by the end of the year or should we keep making 1 scene projects?

3. Will we ever get a callback system for true reward sharing?

I'm not attempting to feature request, I know you guys have to play catch up with the old creator first, but since the motto is education first, I’m wondering if these 2 features: (better loading scene management and sharing links with access to the device internal sharing screen will be in by the end of the year as well.

As for my fellow GSSERS, we could argue endlessly about what would be the most needed new features and everyone would have a different opinion, (especially hobbyist who didn’t really think this thru nor need to)
    However, when it comes to developers and being competitive, i don’t think anyone would argue that:
    Loading time and having access to the device internal sharing screen aren’t at the top of the list.
    Every single other game platform has that figured out and all games need these to survive.

GS website still has half of its homepage being about developers, not hobbyist (nothing against them btw).
    But we are paying, loving, customers/pain in the …. o:) and we need these!!!!

In return we will also inspire students and educators. o:)

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 521

Hi @ForumNinja you have any other advance to share :) ?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@blob all of the stuff you're asking for are engine changes, so probably not? I want to fit some stuff in for the engine before the end of the year, but not sure what the schedule will be.

I don't think we'll get to loading times. IIRC (which I might not since I don't use it and wasn't looking when it was developed), the "callback" for the rewards system is attributes changing. Adding a special callback would be a new "event" concept in the engine (which I'd like, but not gonna happen soon). I'll talk to the team and see if we can do anything to make it work better in the short term.

The sharing thing should be easy, I think we may have a mostly done version of that somewhere that we just need to update and test, so I'll try to make sure we look at that when the engine gets some love.

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229
    edited August 2017

@adent42 said:
    Adding a special callback would be a new "event" concept in the engine (which I'd like, >but not gonna happen soon). I'll talk to the team and see if we can do anything to make >it work better in the short term.

@adent42 Thank you for looking into it.

The sharing thing should be easy, I think we may have a mostly done version of that >somewhere that we just need to update and test, so I'll try to make sure we look at that >when the engine gets some love.

That would be amazing and would really help us multiply awareness and downloads.
    This would truly be synergetic for developers, educators, students and GS team/

Thanks for the clarifications
    :)

• GeordiestrandGeordiestrand Member Posts: 8

will there be non turn based multiplayer anytime soon where one of the things that could be on a rule would when "when player 1 does this" or "when player 3 does this"

@Geordiestrand You can currently do it with the network behaviors and tables (though it's not as easy as "player 1, player2" events.

Sorry, I misread "non". No, not soon.

• GeordiestrandGeordiestrand Member Posts: 8

@adent42 said:
    Sorry, I misread "non". No, not soon.

ok thanks will it ever happen because I have a game that is good single player but would be even better multiplayer so it is fine it isn't anytime soon but do you ever pan on having relatively simple non turn based multiplayer

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

If we can change the background color for a table, that would be great.

Like;

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

@Geordiestrand practically, I'd say no. Even if we're looking into the future, that's at least a year down the road. With the existing system, you could use some polling to get the same effect. "Non-turn based" in most cases is just "really fast turn based". So if make all of your game state in tables, you could just poll for changes and react quickly to the changes to simulate that type of multiplayer, it really depends on how fast-paced your game is. A slow tank game or something similar might work, while a racing game will probably not.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680
    edited September 2017

Just though of something I would find really useful. A way to highlight all actors not currently used in any scenes. Would be great for cleaning up my projects.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

Is the beta over ? I can't create a new project and all of my existing projects got deleted.

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 521

I saw the new video! congrats! is it ready for production?

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@CasualEvolution said:
    I saw the new video! congrats! is it ready for production?

Yeah saw that on the youtube channel too. Any word on this @ForumNinja

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@AlchimiaStudios @CasualEvolution We're still finishing up a round of testing for the addition of publishing, but after that's in it should be ready to go live to my knowledge :)

Hey! We finally got publishing launched for the web creator!

It took a bit longer than I was hoping because of the differences in "file format" between the web tool and the native tools. If you see something weird resulting from your publishing, please PM me the link!

Also, this means you can do a full round trip between the native and web tools.

Yay progress!

FYI: https://creator.gamesalad.com

As for the status of things...

The web tool is now in a weird in-between state.

It's launched for education, it's in pre-release for all of you guys. That's simply because while we have met all the requirements for education use, I'd like to get closer to feature parity before we announce for general usage.

That does mean for everyone who happens to stumble across this post, feel free to hit that URL above and start using the tool!

Just know that it's not done yet and some things will change as we go along.

In this current release, we've added the aforementioned publishing, some error checking, and the tool resets things to default values if you leave them blank (similar to the current Mac tool)!

We also haven't finished porting the "Native tool" to "Web tool" flow yet, so there are still some size restrictions. We're hoping to fix that soon!

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

How long will the Mac version have support for? - I won't be switching to the new web version so I would like plan how many games I can get out before.

The web tool is look great! - Glad to hear its getting closer.

Best,

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

Alright! Its coming along nicely. Congratulations!

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

@adent42

Just tested on a new game I've been working on, and first it loads up and plays in preview , but nothing shows up in editor so can't actually work on game. Also in layers most actors say invalid.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

My OCD is pointing out that it's probably best to fix the 'Porfolio is empty' typo to make a better impression, but looking good!

I think the Note behaviour is important for education , deleting a letter deletes the behaviour from the logic stack. changing the colour of an instance also changes the prototype's colour and it is difficult to change by typing RGB values , it will confuse the students, resize by dragging the actor to its minimum size changes the actor's position, it is not fixed. I think these small bugs should be looked at first before its launched for education. Loving it so far , waiting for dark theme + snap to grid . Good luck and great job getting this far this quick !

@BBEnk PM me a link to your game.
    @Japster / @Icebox will take a look!

@Icebox looking into the color issue. It seems like it works in the background, the color just isn't updating properly when you switch to the prototype. If you reload the page, the prototype has the correct color. I still have to fix it, but if you were worried about it in your own work, no need to worry :)

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Hey guys!

Check out this introduction video to Creator 2.0! It shows off the new UI as well as some of the little additions we've added to the tool like autocomplete, search, multiple select and zoom options!

Hope you guys like it and be sure to jump into the new tool!

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Braydon_SFX This is a great little taste of what's finally coming to fruition. It puts a smile on my face for being patient and persevering with GameSalad and continuing to subscribe through the stops, starts, stalls and hiccups.

As usual your videos are pleasant, informative and concise. Well done!

edited October 2017

All the minor bugs i mentioned earlier were solved + added a color palette for the actors and an arrow to show the rotation, awesome ! I hope you provide (alt/option + drag) to copy behaviours / actors on scene / animation images , like the desktop version . Would help education and developers speed things up. Will there be support to iphone 5 display size (586 x 320) ? and will the html5 preview support device screen size behaviour ? cause i cant test universal methods right now on the web version , since it doesn't detect the screen size when i change it on preview like the desktop version.

The preview display size will take a bit longer to implement, I think there's a performance issue based on resolutions. The iPhone5 wouldn't take too long, but I'm leaning towards leaving it off. It's one of those cases that should be covered by resolution adjustment logic and using one of the bigger phones, since those are the "standard" phones now.

I'll try to see about getting preview to update the "screen" resolution so you can test that kind of logic.