State of GameSalad on 7-19-2017 (Web Version Semi-open Beta)

Comments

• GreenfroggGamesGreenfroggGames Member Posts: 224

@adent42 Is there any plans on implementing joints in the near future?

• paulkerrypaulkerry Member, PRO Posts: 25

how do you get access to the beta?

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited October 2017

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• quinn221quinn221 Member Posts: 280

@adent42 said:
    @BBEnk PM me a link to your game.
    @Japster / @Icebox will take a look!

Same thing happens to me...

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@quinn221 Can you PM me or @adent42 a link to your game (if you haven't already)?

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

I tried to take another look at the new creator, but I can't see a scene anywhere? I created a new one. And I can see the zoom in/out options. But nothing is there?
    Is this normal? Am I meant to another step. Have started several blank projects to test and the pre-made templates.

Best,

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@Two.E said:
    I tried to take another look at the new creator, but I can't see a scene anywhere? I created a new one. And I can see the zoom in/out options. But nothing is there?
    Is this normal? Am I meant to another step. Have started several blank projects to test and the pre-made templates.

Best,

No, that shouldn't be happening. What browser are you using?
    Have you tried a hard refresh (Cmd+Shift+R)?

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

You might be using the old beta link , make sure the link is creator.gamesalad.com not creator-beta.gamesalad

Using Safari or Chrome.

Using the creator.gamesalad.com link.

Have tried a hard refresh.

Still same issue.

What terrible timing (on my end). Just left a met up this weekend in which I was going to showcase the "New" GameSalad to a few follow developers, who were curious how my new games were made. Didn't quite work out, so you can download the demo at GShelper for free.

When GS are back in office, do I need submit a ticket or support?

Best,
    Two.E

@Two.E said:
    What terrible timing (on my end). Just left a met up this weekend in which I was going to showcase the "New" GameSalad to a few follow developers, who were curious how my new games were made. Didn't quite work out, so you can download the demo at GShelper for free.

When GS are back in office, do I need submit a ticket or support?

Best,
    Two.E

Submit a ticket and I'll get to it in Monday. Sorry it didn't work out, but thanks for the great template!

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034
    edited October 2017

@Two.E did you import the game or did you start from scratch?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Doh, looks like I missed the part where you created a new game. FYI, Safari is a no-go right now. It's just far enough behind in HTML5 features that it's not a great experience. Chrome is preferred. Firefox looks a bit wonky, but more-or-less works (the SVGs render a bit weird and on occasion, timing differences break something, but nothing a page refresh won't fix).

In this case, I'd suggest clearing your browser cache and see if that fixes things. If so, that's still bad and we'll look into it, but at least it will let you move forward. If not, then something really weird is happening and it's probably fastest to ping intercom like @Braydon_SFX said.

• eligameseligames Member, PRO Posts: 40

Guys, please check out my game I made
    I am 17 years old and I would really like your opinion
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bouncer-arcade-game/id1278459597?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

@eligames said:
    Guys, please check out my game I made
    I am 17 years old and I would really like your opinion
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bouncer-arcade-game/id1278459597?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

Feel free to open your own thread and announce it there, but please refrain from posting it in these announcement threads.

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 521

Hi @Braydon_SFX
    These functionalitys still missing?
    My game need many of them.
    Thanks

Here’s a list of the more major missing functionality:

Copy/paste for behaviors/actors/scenes etc
    Undo
    Writing to tables through the change table value behavior
    Publishing to your portfolio
    In app purchase behaviors
    Ability to import custom collisions
    Probably a couple other things that escape me currently (edit: if you share a project link with anyone they will have complete access to your project, so don't do that)

@CasualEvolution said:
    Hi @Braydon_SFX
    These functionalitys still missing?
    My game need many of them.
    Thanks

Copy/paste is in.
    Publishing is in.

Everything else is coming a bit later.

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 521
    edited October 2017

Ok @Braydon_SFX , thanks!
    One more things... network behaviors will be part of this new version too?

@CasualEvolution eventually.

Also copy paste is just behaviors right now (though you can now go between projects with some attribute resolution / wiring).

On the beta site, we're in the middle of testing the first round of error reporting. Basically if you miss any values in a behavior, the error will be gathered into an easy to access list for each actor and scene and you will be prevented from previewing until you resolve the errors. The next step for error reporting is to check for errors in expressions, but that's will take a bit, so I'll probably take a break to see about getting a start on "Undo" or implement some more behaviors.

• GreenfroggGamesGreenfroggGames Member Posts: 224

What about joints? Is it difficult to add? @adent42 @Braydon_SFX

@GreenfroggGames that would require some new engine changes. So not for this round. Sorry. I'll keep it in mind though!

@CasualEvolution network behaviors should be part of the effort to complete the list of existing behaviors in the new tool. Not sure when I'll get to it, but it's on the list. Please not that in the web tool network behaviors are going to be a bit harder to test, since the HTML5 engine will need some adjustments to the server that you wouldn't need in the native engine. So you will either need to know how to adjust your server to handle CORS headers, or you will need to test mostly using the viewer.

Is there a way to disable auto save , and save our progress whenever we want ? Cause im used to working on incremented files to locate and fix bugs.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680
    edited October 2017

@Icebox said:
    Is there a way to disable auto save , and save our progress whenever we want ? Cause im used to working on incremented files to locate and fix bugs.

@adent42 Totally agree with this point. Incremental save points have saved my skin many a time with unnoticed bugs. Not having control over my saved versions concerns me greatly. (sorry...no idea why this appeared twice!)

@strag @icebox no, you can. Currently, you could just "publish" to save. Basically when you publish, it's taking a snapshot of your game and converting it to the native tool format. So you can always go back by re-importing one of the publishes.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

@adent42 I understand what you are saying. Maybe I'm just an old stick in the mud, but still would prefer to save my own versions without having to go through the publishing process.

• Hi devs,

Any chance on shader support in the future at all, it would really lift GSs profile!

Looking forward to the new stuff anyways :)

edited October 2017

I just opened an old project on the web version and i got 26 errors , i need to browse through them to preview the game :) its great if the tool was quick but it would take me some time to open,scroll and search for bugs in the logic stack ( especially that it really lags with too many behaviours) . Wish you added an option to preview without fixing errors at least for now.( But other than my issue with it , its a great feature! )

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@Icebox I was concerned when I read that the web version would not let you preview if there was a missing attribute. Along with what you mentioned, it's too conservative. If I have a missing attribute or poor logic in one area of my project it doesn't necessarily mean that the rest won't function enough to give me insights. That (error checking) should definitely be a setting you can disable. Maybe have a "developer mode" that runs without that type of error checking.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

Ah i just noticed i could click on the error tab in the inspector and it would take me directly to the actor/behaviour that has the error , that sure saves alot of time , but i still agree with @tatiang would be good if we have an option to preview without error checking.